Adding AC to a 773G Turbo

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

cwhitten

There seems to be a lot of Bobcats out there with only heaters. I would really like to have AC on my bobcat. Has anyone added AC to a 773 or similiar machine? Does anyone have a source for new or used parts?
Thanks.

salsllc

its about 1800 bucks in parts and about 8 hours labor if you know what you are doing. you are better off trading the machine in on 1 with ac.

thetool

its about 1800 bucks in parts and about 8 hours labor if you know what you are doing. you are better off trading the machine in on 1 with ac.
I so disagree with that statement that it almost makes me angry, but we're all great guys in here, even Bobcat_Ron, so I'll be nice.....=).
Last year I installed several A/C kits in G and K series loaders that already had enclosed cabs and heat, and I can do it in about 4 hours on a large-frame loader with a power bob-tach. Your 773 is much easier. I charge 450 bucks for the installs and that includes coolant and dye and a 6 month warranty on labor and coolant against leak-out. I have as yet to be called on this. I have repaired quite a few factory and dealer installs.
Whether or not it is cheaper to trade up depends on too many factors to list.
Used parts are hard to find. It's mostly OEM stuff. Take-offs and part-outs are your best bet, but you are pretty much at the mercy of the dealer. Kits I procured for my clients ran about $1600 if I remember correctly.
I have a client that had me disable all the A/C's in his machines, because he felt that his help was screwing off in the nice and cool cabs, rather than getting out and stroking it.....=). I told him I could sell his systems as used take-offs to more appreciative folks, but he wants to keep them for trade-in. I continue to drop hints....=).

salsllc

I so disagree with that statement that it almost makes me angry, but we're all great guys in here, even Bobcat_Ron, so I'll be nice.....=).
Last year I installed several A/C kits in G and K series loaders that already had enclosed cabs and heat, and I can do it in about 4 hours on a large-frame loader with a power bob-tach. Your 773 is much easier. I charge 450 bucks for the installs and that includes coolant and dye and a 6 month warranty on labor and coolant against leak-out. I have as yet to be called on this. I have repaired quite a few factory and dealer installs.
Whether or not it is cheaper to trade up depends on too many factors to list.
Used parts are hard to find. It's mostly OEM stuff. Take-offs and part-outs are your best bet, but you are pretty much at the mercy of the dealer. Kits I procured for my clients ran about $1600 if I remember correctly.
I have a client that had me disable all the A/C's in his machines, because he felt that his help was screwing off in the nice and cool cabs, rather than getting out and stroking it.....=). I told him I could sell his systems as used take-offs to more appreciative folks, but he wants to keep them for trade-in. I continue to drop hints....=).
not meaning to offend at all. just sharing info told to me by my dealer.

OP
OP
C

cwhitten

My dealer gave me a rough quote of $1600. I'm going to shop around with other dealers within driving distance. I currently have only $10k in this 773G Turbo. I also just put all new axle bearings and seals in this weekend. I don't think I can find a good machine with AC for less than $11,600. By the way, my machine is in great shape for 2600 hrs. It would really look nice if I touched up the paint and put on new decals.
Thanks for the input. I'm probably going to do it myself.

thetool

My dealer gave me a rough quote of $1600. I'm going to shop around with other dealers within driving distance. I currently have only $10k in this 773G Turbo. I also just put all new axle bearings and seals in this weekend. I don't think I can find a good machine with AC for less than $11,600. By the way, my machine is in great shape for 2600 hrs. It would really look nice if I touched up the paint and put on new decals.
Thanks for the input. I'm probably going to do it myself.
salsllc-
You did not give offense sir, nor hopefully did I.....=). Actually, you are a victim who has been suckered into believing in and perpetuating false myths and rumors that are products of a disease that permeates the entire Bobcat network, from the manufacturer on down to all the dealers. IMO.....=).
And I, reacting to an inadvertent jab at an exposed nerve attached to one of my greatest pet-peeves, cannot resist comments that may surely result in me someday being kicked out of this forum.....=).
All I care to say any more about the issue is this: Bobcat just celebrated their 50 year anniversary, they still have a great product which I love, but their celebration was nothing more than a bunch of entrenched management bean-counters getting together and patting themselves on the back, and putting on a dog-and-pony show for dough. The 75 year celebration will not be, or will be a joke. Bobcat steadily progresses toward mediocrity, lead by the mediocre, which encourages mediocrity from the top on down. The person who told you that it is cheaper to trade in is a victim also. New Machine Sales. Period. The end.
cwhitten-
good choice, do it yourself. Inventory your kit at the dealer, there is always something missing. Start in the morning, it will take you all day, first time....=). Try to save unsealing your reciever/dryer as a last step, right before you begin pulling about 90 minutes of good vaccum, then charge, 2 lbs R134A. Don't wait too long before charging it up, is all I'm saying, so arrange to have equipment available. You kin duit! Anybody can.....=).

Marc1

salsllc-
You did not give offense sir, nor hopefully did I.....=). Actually, you are a victim who has been suckered into believing in and perpetuating false myths and rumors that are products of a disease that permeates the entire Bobcat network, from the manufacturer on down to all the dealers. IMO.....=).
And I, reacting to an inadvertent jab at an exposed nerve attached to one of my greatest pet-peeves, cannot resist comments that may surely result in me someday being kicked out of this forum.....=).
All I care to say any more about the issue is this: Bobcat just celebrated their 50 year anniversary, they still have a great product which I love, but their celebration was nothing more than a bunch of entrenched management bean-counters getting together and patting themselves on the back, and putting on a dog-and-pony show for dough. The 75 year celebration will not be, or will be a joke. Bobcat steadily progresses toward mediocrity, lead by the mediocre, which encourages mediocrity from the top on down. The person who told you that it is cheaper to trade in is a victim also. New Machine Sales. Period. The end.
cwhitten-
good choice, do it yourself. Inventory your kit at the dealer, there is always something missing. Start in the morning, it will take you all day, first time....=). Try to save unsealing your reciever/dryer as a last step, right before you begin pulling about 90 minutes of good vaccum, then charge, 2 lbs R134A. Don't wait too long before charging it up, is all I'm saying, so arrange to have equipment available. You kin duit! Anybody can.....=).
Hi there! Adding A/C to a Bobcat that has already a cab enclosure and heat is easy since the hard part is done. If you had an open cab, this are the prices you would be looking at Cab Enclosure: $1100.00 plus freight and tax Heater and plumbing Kit: $1500 plus freight and tax AC Kit: $2000.00 plus freight and tax This are prices from a dealer on the west coast, not particularly cheap. You can probably do 10% or 15% better if you try. Labor for the 3 components is as follows: AC Kit: 12 hours Heater kit: 6 hours Cab Kit: 2 hours Charge per hour is around $100 Again this are bobcat dealer quote I had cab enclosure A/C and Heater fitted to a T180 by two A/C guys who worked for 4 hours. They came to fit A/C and heater yet fitted the cab enclosure for no charge since it is half hour of drilling a few holes and fitting a few screws. The A/C alone means you already have all the conduits fitted and must only fit the evaporator and compressor and a few cables and a knob. 12 hours for that must include plain travel time from Canada, 2 meals and a siesta imbetween sightseeing time. In my opinion of course.

skidsteer.ca

Hi there! Adding A/C to a Bobcat that has already a cab enclosure and heat is easy since the hard part is done. If you had an open cab, this are the prices you would be looking at Cab Enclosure: $1100.00 plus freight and tax Heater and plumbing Kit: $1500 plus freight and tax AC Kit: $2000.00 plus freight and tax This are prices from a dealer on the west coast, not particularly cheap. You can probably do 10% or 15% better if you try. Labor for the 3 components is as follows: AC Kit: 12 hours Heater kit: 6 hours Cab Kit: 2 hours Charge per hour is around $100 Again this are bobcat dealer quote I had cab enclosure A/C and Heater fitted to a T180 by two A/C guys who worked for 4 hours. They came to fit A/C and heater yet fitted the cab enclosure for no charge since it is half hour of drilling a few holes and fitting a few screws. The A/C alone means you already have all the conduits fitted and must only fit the evaporator and compressor and a few cables and a knob. 12 hours for that must include plain travel time from Canada, 2 meals and a siesta imbetween sightseeing time. In my opinion of course.
Awww, wish my G was a turbo, mind you with this spring I'm still using the heater!
4c low last night, unbelievable!
Ken

m610

Awww, wish my G was a turbo, mind you with this spring I'm still using the heater!
4c low last night, unbelievable!
Ken
I have often thought of adding air conditioning to my Bobcat 843 or 863, just so I can enclose the cab and stop rain from getting in and rusting the machine. However, I always wondered where the compressor should be mounted as well as the evaporator. My thought was to strip the air conditioning out of some little car and fabricate ductwork similar to the fancy late model 863 I saw with factory air. Just would like to see how they cram the air conditioning components in the Bobcats. Also how well does it work? The Bobcat cab is black like a solar oven. Unlike a car it does not move fast enough to cool off and has no real insulation.

Tazza

Staff member
I have often thought of adding air conditioning to my Bobcat 843 or 863, just so I can enclose the cab and stop rain from getting in and rusting the machine. However, I always wondered where the compressor should be mounted as well as the evaporator. My thought was to strip the air conditioning out of some little car and fabricate ductwork similar to the fancy late model 863 I saw with factory air. Just would like to see how they cram the air conditioning components in the Bobcats. Also how well does it work? The Bobcat cab is black like a solar oven. Unlike a car it does not move fast enough to cool off and has no real insulation.
True, but think of the volume you need to cool vs a car? The other thing you need to watch is the car systems are designed so the gas after it leaves the evaporator goes to the pump and cools it. If its not designed correctly your pump can be damaged due to excessive heat. As for air flow for the condenser you only need to use your main cooling fan. You get some decent flow out of it.
Other machines i have seen it fitted to, the AC unit is actually attached to the top of the ROPS. It looks ugly but obviously works. The condenser and evaporator are built in i believe.

763GKid

Hey, Guys so I'm attempting to add an A/C kit to a 2000 Bobcat 763 G. I've already added a cab to it and put over $ 750 into lightbars and backup cams into it LOL but I can't find a part out machine to save my life. If anyone knows the whereabouts of any scrapyards or private sellers in California it would be much appreciated, to help a 15 year old kid out