A Question for 743 owners.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Luthor

While looking through the parts manual for some exhaust system information I noticed that my machine does not have item 22 (shield) fitted. I don't know if it was ever fitted or maybe has been removed by the previous owner. Is it fitted to your 743?
c9fc2ce8-0980-4a86-af7e-8dda803923c1_zpsj7bg63by.jpg

Tazza

Staff member
It almost looks like a heat shield that goes over the muffler, i have never seen a machine with one. They have one that sits under it and keeps a little heat off the radiator..
I wouldn't be worried at all.

OP
OP
L

Luthor

It almost looks like a heat shield that goes over the muffler, i have never seen a machine with one. They have one that sits under it and keeps a little heat off the radiator..
I wouldn't be worried at all.
I suspect it was originally designed to prevent leaves etc. from coming into contact with the hot muffler and possibly causing a fire. I am in the process of making one as I do sometimes work under and around trees so it is better to be safe than sorry.

Tazza

Staff member
I suspect it was originally designed to prevent leaves etc. from coming into contact with the hot muffler and possibly causing a fire. I am in the process of making one as I do sometimes work under and around trees so it is better to be safe than sorry.
The punched mesh that covers the radiator should prevent leaves lading on to the muffler, unless yours doesn't have one. There really should be a cover to protect the radiator from falling objects.

mmsllc

The punched mesh that covers the radiator should prevent leaves lading on to the muffler, unless yours doesn't have one. There really should be a cover to protect the radiator from falling objects.
It is most likely a part that never made it to production because it was never needed despite having been designed. I'm pretty sure it won't hurt to have it or not.

OP
OP
L

Luthor

It is most likely a part that never made it to production because it was never needed despite having been designed. I'm pretty sure it won't hurt to have it or not.
I made one out of some 1.6mm sheet metal and painted it with high temp paint.
photo_zpsqjtpaidq.jpg

craigb93

I made one out of some 1.6mm sheet metal and painted it with high temp paint.
My 742 has a shield that covers the radiator and the muffler which is in the same position depicted in your parts view. It is however a corrugated shield made of mesh with ~0.050 inch holes. The percent open area is such that you can easily see both the radiator and muffler. I think your solid plate will cause the muffler and surrounding metal to severely overheat. -Dick

Tazza

Staff member
My 742 has a shield that covers the radiator and the muffler which is in the same position depicted in your parts view. It is however a corrugated shield made of mesh with ~0.050 inch holes. The percent open area is such that you can easily see both the radiator and muffler. I think your solid plate will cause the muffler and surrounding metal to severely overheat. -Dick
Luthor - looks good!

OP
OP
L

Luthor

Luthor - looks good!
Dick,you made it sound like I was going to have a Meltdown, but I can assure you that the area surrounding the muffler gets no hotter than it did before fitting the shield.

Tazza

Staff member
I also made up a new exhaust pipe to replace the old one which was split at the end of the bellows. http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e121/Luhtor/photo%202_zps2wehdfxz.jpg
Well done, thankfully i have gotten away with welding up ones that were cracked.

OP
OP
L

Luthor

god bless the 743. 1000.s still work everyday got to ask how many hrs. and how often is it worked,
The machine had just over 2000hrs on it when I got it about 10 years ago but shortly after the hour meter stopped working and I ran it for a little while not clocking up hours. Since then I fitted a digital hour meter and have only clocked up about 250 hrs in that time, so it doesn't get much use. There are still a lot of these around in Australia like this one I spotted on Ebay recently with the next serial number to mine.
photo%202%201_zpsemxkzpvm.png
photo%201%204_zpshb3yolfu.jpg