980 pulling weak

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

gammit

I bought a Bobcat 980 that pulled weak on the right side, forward and reverse, and got weaker as the hydraulic oil heated up. (There is a slight delay on both sides between pushing the lever forward and the drive motor engaging...I'm assuming that's a planned design feature to prevent jerking the machine but would like to hear from somebody that' familiar with the 980.) We had the right side wheel motor rebuilt as well as the right side hydraulic drive motor, but it's still doing the same thing. If you put it against a load and push, the left side spins the tires but the right side thinks about pulling for a second then the load comes off the engine and the right side pushes very weakly. It's at the shop now...they have it elevated and have tried to adjust the linkage and check the pressures, but aren't having any luck figuring it out. All the filters have been changed also. Hopefully somebody knows of a sticky valve or something simple that could fix this problem. I'm as confused as a baby in a topless bar right now.

Bobcatdan

I would cap the drive motor hoses for the right side and run it. When stroking the steer lever, the engine should load down as the system is dead headed. If it does, you got a bum drive motor. If the engine doesn't respond to load, I'd say the hydro is shot. That said, I would look over the hydraulic schematic for anything that could cause the problem before condemning the hydro.I have only seen one 980 in person at a swap meet, never did anything with them. 980 is a critter on to its own.

Tazza

Staff member
I would cap the drive motor hoses for the right side and run it. When stroking the steer lever, the engine should load down as the system is dead headed. If it does, you got a bum drive motor. If the engine doesn't respond to load, I'd say the hydro is shot. That said, I would look over the hydraulic schematic for anything that could cause the problem before condemning the hydro.I have only seen one 980 in person at a swap meet, never did anything with them. 980 is a critter on to its own.
I'm with dan, with the drive motor lines capped off you can bring the pump pressure up and see if it loads down, if it doesn't, the pump isn't producing pressure.

kroog

I'm with dan, with the drive motor lines capped off you can bring the pump pressure up and see if it loads down, if it doesn't, the pump isn't producing pressure.
Check to see if you have a relief in the circuit. If so try to adjust pressure up.