96 bobcat743. Starting in gear issues

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Madbobcater743

Hello all, My name is Charles and this is my first post. I just bought a Bobcat 743 yesterday. Drove 500 bouncy miles back home to Cape Cod Massachusetts. It is a 96 melroe wish 3600 hours Kubota. I bought it as a repair project this winter. I woke up this morning tried to start the machine and it seems I couldn't find neutural. Meaning it starts in gear/ Stuck in gear. It is still chained to my trailer restricting the machine. The engine is 100% ready to go, but some some reason it being in gear is really an issue preventing the engine to kick over. Meaning I am not in neutral clearly. Is this a common problem? I know i should be looking @ the linkage. clearly something is off or stuck. I was following it back this morning and noticed the right arm was very loose. Not neutral loose but it was loos right to left. I opened the cab back and realized there should most likely be 2 bolts here and there only one on the linkage for the right joystick.. Is this a common problem? Can someone point me in the right direction?

SkidRoe

Sounds like the sticks are not centered is the issue. If parts are missing that could be making the situation worse. Try moving the right stick forwards and backwards while you are cranking to see if you can find the center "neutral" point.
To further diagnose your machine, do you have some pictures of what you are looking at that you could post?
See this link on how to post pictures:
http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=54&frmView=ShowPost&PostID=2445
HTH - SR

OP
OP
M

Madbobcater743

Sounds like the sticks are not centered is the issue. If parts are missing that could be making the situation worse. Try moving the right stick forwards and backwards while you are cranking to see if you can find the center "neutral" point.
To further diagnose your machine, do you have some pictures of what you are looking at that you could post?
See this link on how to post pictures:
http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=54&frmView=ShowPost&PostID=2445
HTH - SR
Hey skidroe! Thans for posting back so fast. Nice to meet you. I just ordered a service repair manual from amazon to help me with the easy stuff. Hopefully it comes in sooner than later. We had to glowplug the snot out of it to get it going. I'm still looking for the 120V plug inside the motor box, tomorrow when I change filters and fluids Here is a bad picture of the linkage on the right side control forward and reverse  photo 31BE1855-BEF3-4B67-9E25-F303C75F143C.jpg Here are a few of my new (20 year old) machine.  photo AE08B1A9-153E-42D5-9D93-BD5746AC5319.jpg  photo F441CEFD-D60A-4244-9D18-9CB802ACF42A.jpg  photo 559AB3F7-42BD-4E80-880C-FEA0949428DE.jpg  photo 0A312FB4-C9B2-43B2-9C11-DE6E1C9E3996.jpg  photo 55E2CE45-1BA0-4F0D-A470-40125A89A0E1.jpg

SkidRoe

Hey skidroe! Thans for posting back so fast. Nice to meet you. I just ordered a service repair manual from amazon to help me with the easy stuff. Hopefully it comes in sooner than later. We had to glowplug the snot out of it to get it going. I'm still looking for the 120V plug inside the motor box, tomorrow when I change filters and fluids Here is a bad picture of the linkage on the right side control forward and reverse Here are a few of my new (20 year old) machine.
Not a bad looking machine, but I think it may be older than what you think. If it were a 1996, it would not be a 743. Not that the age of a machine means that much, the care it has received is far more important.
The missing bolt that you noticed is not a bad thing. If that bolt were in place, your aux hydraulics would be locked out.
Good to here you got it going.
Cheers - SR

Tazza

Staff member
Hey skidroe! Thans for posting back so fast. Nice to meet you. I just ordered a service repair manual from amazon to help me with the easy stuff. Hopefully it comes in sooner than later. We had to glowplug the snot out of it to get it going. I'm still looking for the 120V plug inside the motor box, tomorrow when I change filters and fluids Here is a bad picture of the linkage on the right side control forward and reverse Here are a few of my new (20 year old) machine.
To adjust your neutral:
Steering%20Adjustment.jpg

Bigger image here:
http://users.tpg.com.au/tazza_/Steering Adjustment.jpg

OP
OP
M

Madbobcater743

To adjust your neutral:

Bigger image here:
http://users.tpg.com.au/tazza_/Steering%20Adjustment.jpg
I have some struggles using the message board. Something tells me I should stick to sprinklers and tree climbing. Today we changed out the engine oil/engine oil filter, hydraulic oil filter with no issue @ all. Also tightened up the linkage @ the centering spring. Just one side of spring closer to the linkage bolts. Really made starting much better. Excited to get my service manual and start doing some other things. Coolant level was where it should be. Very impressed on how much of a mess I managed to make today. I had plywood/rags/ buckets flying around.
 photo D74B789B-5E9A-41D9-8A9A-14C5F7037F9C.jpg
Not very impressed with the in/out heater line that is electrical taped by the zip tie there. Belt seems to have good tension, and one small tiny crack. For the price next time I will purchase one and keep it handy. Lots of loose wires that need to be addressed, wrapped ect. Hydraulic filter went on with ease, and I noticed the oil was very clean. Threw some diesel conditioner inside and filled with new fuel. I'm not sure what height/level the hydraulic fluid should be at? This is all I have as far as anything that resembles an Gage.  photo 6B3F5C01-7287-490F-A03C-878CE283E725.jpg
Blurry camera phone picture but some messy wiring.  photo 17F708BA-F9B1-4320-9D2E-2C2344257F1E.jpg
This nozzle the bobcat dealer gave us is pretty bada$$.. Much better than the funnel, wait, funnel,wait.  photo 59D5560B-A313-42EE-B8B7-3C165934CA68.jpg
New oil filter that really was easy to put on.  photo 8ACA4BBA-9445-4441-9258-D99237F31EAB.jpg
What is the brass circular object is in this picture?  photo 182969A0-0156-4D7A-9534-972198825551.jpg
Put a new dipstick inside the engine today. The old one decided to blow out yesterday and make a huge mess. The rubber parts of it did not grab inside the engine it was in very loose. Made a huge mess of my trailer.  photo 742A47F3-1CBE-4308-AB07-8C97FE06E8F2.jpg
Does anyone know what this does?
 photo F0C069CE-CB12-48E3-9DAB-2B1351CA18CF.jpg
And if this place you can post videos I would give an action video of me going to a buddys house down the street. He is pretty pumped that we have a bobcat this winter for snow removal. Still very jumpy to operate. I need to check linkage for the throttle. Also need to find a better way close the door. as it jumps a little.
http://vid660.photobucket.com/album...phan/35102CB9-0E01-4525-9432-82C91862BECF.mp4

SkidRoe

I have some struggles using the message board. Something tells me I should stick to sprinklers and tree climbing. Today we changed out the engine oil/engine oil filter, hydraulic oil filter with no issue @ all. Also tightened up the linkage @ the centering spring. Just one side of spring closer to the linkage bolts. Really made starting much better. Excited to get my service manual and start doing some other things. Coolant level was where it should be. Very impressed on how much of a mess I managed to make today. I had plywood/rags/ buckets flying around.

Not very impressed with the in/out heater line that is electrical taped by the zip tie there. Belt seems to have good tension, and one small tiny crack. For the price next time I will purchase one and keep it handy. Lots of loose wires that need to be addressed, wrapped ect. Hydraulic filter went on with ease, and I noticed the oil was very clean. Threw some diesel conditioner inside and filled with new fuel. I'm not sure what height/level the hydraulic fluid should be at? This is all I have as far as anything that resembles an Gage.
Blurry camera phone picture but some messy wiring.
This nozzle the bobcat dealer gave us is pretty bada$$.. Much better than the funnel, wait, funnel,wait.
New oil filter that really was easy to put on.
What is the brass circular object is in this picture?
Put a new dipstick inside the engine today. The old one decided to blow out yesterday and make a huge mess. The rubber parts of it did not grab inside the engine it was in very loose. Made a huge mess of my trailer.
Does anyone know what this does?

And if this place you can post videos I would give an action video of me going to a buddys house down the street. He is pretty pumped that we have a bobcat this winter for snow removal. Still very jumpy to operate. I need to check linkage for the throttle. Also need to find a better way close the door. as it jumps a little.
http://vid660.photobucket.com/albums/uu321/whitehatphishphan/35102CB9-0E01-4525-9432-82C91862BECF.mp4
I did a quick clean-up on your post to make it easier to read, and activated the link to your video.
The button in the bottom picture is the reset for the air cleaner restriction indicator. I think the brass knob in a bleeder valve for the injection pump, but I am not certain about that. Somebody will know.
Looking good!!
Cheers - SR

OP
OP
M

Madbobcater743

I did a quick clean-up on your post to make it easier to read, and activated the link to your video.
The button in the bottom picture is the reset for the air cleaner restriction indicator. I think the brass knob in a bleeder valve for the injection pump, but I am not certain about that. Somebody will know.
Looking good!!
Cheers - SR
Thanks man. Lots to work on and do. I'm glad I have the time. Boy it needs it. Not happy with the color of the water coolant this morning. I think I need to take a look at it from the top sadly. I suppose I need to get sockets.

OP
OP
M

Madbobcater743

Thanks man. Lots to work on and do. I'm glad I have the time. Boy it needs it. Not happy with the color of the water coolant this morning. I think I need to take a look at it from the top sadly. I suppose I need to get sockets.
Hey taza thank you for posting that great picture! It was very helpful. Sadly before i get my lift arms off i need to get my bucket off. My bucket is stuck on from all the hot top the previous owner used working. I can't get my levers to flip up and the bucket to release. I'm sure a search on the forums will prove helpful.

Tazza

Staff member
Hey taza thank you for posting that great picture! It was very helpful. Sadly before i get my lift arms off i need to get my bucket off. My bucket is stuck on from all the hot top the previous owner used working. I can't get my levers to flip up and the bucket to release. I'm sure a search on the forums will prove helpful.
You may need a helper to get them off. Lift and curl the bucket forward, get the helper to hold pressure on the handle and hit the pin from under the bucket. I'd suggest a copper hammer as these pins may be hardened.
If that fails, you may need to cut the bucket off then take the bobcatch off to work on freeing the pins.

lesgawlik

You may need a helper to get them off. Lift and curl the bucket forward, get the helper to hold pressure on the handle and hit the pin from under the bucket. I'd suggest a copper hammer as these pins may be hardened.
If that fails, you may need to cut the bucket off then take the bobcatch off to work on freeing the pins.
I had the same bucket issue. I had a soft hardware store bolt which I held while tapping the pins. Since part of your problem is old blacktop, a spray bottle of WD-40 might be a help. As Tazza says, it's easiest to hit the pins while the edge of the bucket is grounded. Do that for a while, and the straighten out the bucket. Spray and try again tomorrow. It took me several days. The mistake I made was thinking that the problem could be solved by beating the handles.

Tazza

Staff member
I had the same bucket issue. I had a soft hardware store bolt which I held while tapping the pins. Since part of your problem is old blacktop, a spray bottle of WD-40 might be a help. As Tazza says, it's easiest to hit the pins while the edge of the bucket is grounded. Do that for a while, and the straighten out the bucket. Spray and try again tomorrow. It took me several days. The mistake I made was thinking that the problem could be solved by beating the handles.
Yeah, don't bash or lever on the handles, they will only shear the bolts off.
Heat and soaking with WD40 or other oils is a good idea.

OP
OP
M

Madbobcater743

Yeah, don't bash or lever on the handles, they will only shear the bolts off.
Heat and soaking with WD40 or other oils is a good idea.
Hey guys. Here is an update. We got the bucket off with some oil and a metal bar. Success!!!! Well after I cleaned a good amount of grease and dirt around the rear drive sprockets I noticed I have a good oil leak. Also I'm getting a small grinding on my joysticks forward and reverse slightly. Feels like the bearings. Mostly on the right side. Still need to get the creep out of the machine. Does anyone know a good place to get bobcat linkage parts for a decent price? My gut tells me we are leaking from the front and rear axle seals/ bearings. Also I have not peaked into my chaincase to see what the oil level is. Today I have an appointment to get the axels serviced. We shall see what else "they" feel needs to be serviced. After reading and learning about the process I decided its best to have a mechanic start me off. The transmission seems like one of the hardest parts of the machine to work on. Today is drop off machine and wait for a call/ update on the "good news". When I get a real shop with a enclosed roofed area to work under I will be taking on these repairs myself. Between watching my kid/ irrigation blowouts ect. I just cant find the time to get the weather to cooperate. If I could wave a magic wand I would confirm that inside of the crankshaft where it meets the hydraulic pump (ujoint area) isn't leaking fluid. I would get a presumed leaky injector fixed, and get my speed control plate changed out so it doesn't leak oil. The bobcat store told me 2 weeks for service or just bring it in and get in line. This other place told me 2 days and the we will have to wait to get parts from the dealer. I ordered an injector and speed control plate for my 1702 the other day. Really considering getting an updated 2203 for the ROYI. The more I read about the 1702 the more I hear issues with the engine. I really must say this place and its posters have expanded my understanding for these machines 100X over. Thank you. When I get this machine running halfway decent to a point where I can take on some projects I plan on returning the favor to the next guy with some pictures. Best regards- Charlie from the Cape.

Tazza

Staff member
Hey guys. Here is an update. We got the bucket off with some oil and a metal bar. Success!!!! Well after I cleaned a good amount of grease and dirt around the rear drive sprockets I noticed I have a good oil leak. Also I'm getting a small grinding on my joysticks forward and reverse slightly. Feels like the bearings. Mostly on the right side. Still need to get the creep out of the machine. Does anyone know a good place to get bobcat linkage parts for a decent price? My gut tells me we are leaking from the front and rear axle seals/ bearings. Also I have not peaked into my chaincase to see what the oil level is. Today I have an appointment to get the axels serviced. We shall see what else "they" feel needs to be serviced. After reading and learning about the process I decided its best to have a mechanic start me off. The transmission seems like one of the hardest parts of the machine to work on. Today is drop off machine and wait for a call/ update on the "good news". When I get a real shop with a enclosed roofed area to work under I will be taking on these repairs myself. Between watching my kid/ irrigation blowouts ect. I just cant find the time to get the weather to cooperate. If I could wave a magic wand I would confirm that inside of the crankshaft where it meets the hydraulic pump (ujoint area) isn't leaking fluid. I would get a presumed leaky injector fixed, and get my speed control plate changed out so it doesn't leak oil. The bobcat store told me 2 weeks for service or just bring it in and get in line. This other place told me 2 days and the we will have to wait to get parts from the dealer. I ordered an injector and speed control plate for my 1702 the other day. Really considering getting an updated 2203 for the ROYI. The more I read about the 1702 the more I hear issues with the engine. I really must say this place and its posters have expanded my understanding for these machines 100X over. Thank you. When I get this machine running halfway decent to a point where I can take on some projects I plan on returning the favor to the next guy with some pictures. Best regards- Charlie from the Cape.
Steering parts will have to come from the dealer.
Get parts fixed, then work out if you need to do more. The grinding could be the hydrostatic drive noise, it can sound like a grinding sound.
Keep in mind, the dealer will not be cheap to do the work, expect a hefty bill or tell them to quote you before any work is done.

OP
OP
M

Madbobcater743

Steering parts will have to come from the dealer.
Get parts fixed, then work out if you need to do more. The grinding could be the hydrostatic drive noise, it can sound like a grinding sound.
Keep in mind, the dealer will not be cheap to do the work, expect a hefty bill or tell them to quote you before any work is done.
Hey tazza. Dropped off the machine @ the dealer today. I told them to just take the creep out. Drain the chain case/clean/ refil. I Told them to give me quotes on a bunch of stuff. Hoping i can get out of this one in time to make some $$ for the snow fall. Thank you all for the wealth of information here and in past posts. I hope the creep repair doesn't hurt to bad.

Tazza

Staff member
Hey tazza. Dropped off the machine @ the dealer today. I told them to just take the creep out. Drain the chain case/clean/ refil. I Told them to give me quotes on a bunch of stuff. Hoping i can get out of this one in time to make some $$ for the snow fall. Thank you all for the wealth of information here and in past posts. I hope the creep repair doesn't hurt to bad.
Hopefully it won't be too expensive, at least then you know what to do on your own and what to get the dealer to do.
With it up and running, you can at least make some money to pay the repairs off.

OP
OP
M

Madbobcater743

Hopefully it won't be too expensive, at least then you know what to do on your own and what to get the dealer to do.
With it up and running, you can at least make some money to pay the repairs off.
Since I just started out my own I do service/repairs from my driveway which has worked out for most matinence my compressors and ditchwitch. I run my trailers out of my house and the guys park at my house. If I broke down the bobcat to a point to where I couldn't move it after a few days my wife would flip. She already is telling me I need a shop. I do. It will come in time. _ I was shocked at how many bobcats were @ the bobcat dealer. There must of been like 30 machines all older like mine. I knew some of the contractors, I also know they have nice shops. If I had some heat and a enclosed space I would be more daring in these winter months to work on the machine. _ My paperback service manual has come in the mail. By chance do you know if my machine is Sn 15000 and above? I can't tell but with the diagrams I think it is. What would be the best way to find out? The more I read about the hydraulics and hydrostatic systems the better I feel about the machine. - Happy holidays man.

walio123

Since I just started out my own I do service/repairs from my driveway which has worked out for most matinence my compressors and ditchwitch. I run my trailers out of my house and the guys park at my house. If I broke down the bobcat to a point to where I couldn't move it after a few days my wife would flip. She already is telling me I need a shop. I do. It will come in time. _ I was shocked at how many bobcats were @ the bobcat dealer. There must of been like 30 machines all older like mine. I knew some of the contractors, I also know they have nice shops. If I had some heat and a enclosed space I would be more daring in these winter months to work on the machine. _ My paperback service manual has come in the mail. By chance do you know if my machine is Sn 15000 and above? I can't tell but with the diagrams I think it is. What would be the best way to find out? The more I read about the hydraulics and hydrostatic systems the better I feel about the machine. - Happy holidays man.
I have all service manuals for 743 , also have operator and pats manual. Write email if you want those books. They are in pdf format .