'92 743B, my first machine

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

todderwater

I picked this up a few weeks ago, the previous owner had it since new and had a local shop paint it and install new decals, (which were wrong, it's a B). He never noticed the mistake, but it cost less for me.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
There has been some modifications to the ROPS as well, at least as far as I can tell. it appears to have been cut, 1x1 angle iron added and then bolted back together, why I'm not sure.
After finally getting the four Delivery Valve holders to stop leaking diesel fuel, making it a pain to start. previous owner stated to "hit the glow plugs for at least two full minutes before trying to start". so I figured I'd have to replace the glow plugs, as they'd be melted...turns out, they look brand new, and when I checked them with a ohm meter I got 1.5 ohms on each, between center terminal and ground, 15k between center terminal and working end of glow plug. so I hooked them up to an external battery, and they glow about 3/4ths up the plug, and do so in a hurry. still made me wonder about the reading I got, but, long as it's working properly, who am I to question it....lol

I found some other issues that need attention, unfortunately I have not found any info, as of yet, already posted.

First, I found a wire not connected by the starter, it is a White wire with a black tracer

Someone did a half hearted job at trying to insulate the bare wires, as you can see it's a "fail". I could not locate a terminal where it would appear to attach.
and of course, the machine does creep backwards, and I plan on tackling that issue either later today or tomorrow, using the information ya'll have posted already, I have to go get the bushings first, already have the new cams and can just flip over the bars.
When I raised the ROPS and was looking at what I had to replace to fix the creeping issue (and the very sloppy controls, a result of very loose bolts) I noticed about a half dozen or so different wires that are broken, some taped off, some not. they are located on the back left side of the machine as in the operating position, the harness that comes down from the ROPS, if I remember right, there is a connector there as well. with the amount of broken and unhooked wires I found I expected to find at least a few things that don't work, thus far, only the hour meter is non-functional,
I've been looked online for a detailed wiring diagram so I can repair the wiring, but have had no luck as of yet, the two service manuals I downloaded don't have the needed details, such as wire colors...etc.. anyone have any ideas?
I plan on documenting the repair and adjustment for the creeping issue (it'll remind me how to do it when it starts to creep again...lol) I didn't find anything already posted for the 743B, it's the one that everything is located on the side. and looks to be a pita to deal with...
Other than the above stated issues, it appears to be a pretty tight machine, even for it's age, low wear on pins and pivots, no play in axles, very little play in chains etc.

antfarmer2

Sounds like you have been doing some reading but have not heard anything about the ujoint greaseing and checking one of the most important things on this critter............does it have a big bolt in the middle of the axle shaft in the center?

antfarmer2

Sounds like you have been doing some reading but have not heard anything about the ujoint greaseing and checking one of the most important things on this critter............does it have a big bolt in the middle of the axle shaft in the center?
If you send the s# to old machinest in here and ask real nice he has a welth of info

OP
OP
T

todderwater

I'm busted....lol... on the reading part,
but not missing the important things, greasing everything and going after that PITA u-joint was the first things I did, other than take it off the trailer, yes, it has said bolt, as well as the tag states it's a 743B

antfarmer2

I'm busted....lol... on the reading part,
but not missing the important things, greasing everything and going after that PITA u-joint was the first things I did, other than take it off the trailer, yes, it has said bolt, as well as the tag states it's a 743B
Looks like a great cat......did you get the hydro motor covers with it?

antfarmer2

Yes they keep sticks and crap out of the motors and lines see if they are under a bench at the paint shop
How many hours does it have on it and how long was the meter off ujoints are about a hundred bucks and a half a day to change if they go it can cost a LOT when I changed mine I replaced three steel lines that are prone to fail another hundred bucks at a local shop to make

OP
OP
T

todderwater

How many hours does it have on it and how long was the meter off ujoints are about a hundred bucks and a half a day to change if they go it can cost a LOT when I changed mine I replaced three steel lines that are prone to fail another hundred bucks at a local shop to make
The hour meters been non-functional for what I'd guess is a long time, it reads 920 hours, I'd assume for the year it is that it'd have alot more hours than that. from what I could see and tell, the u-joints appeared to have been replaced at some point, it looked fairly new and not all gunked up like I would of expected, it took grease well, didn't have to pump much in to get it to start pushing out, maybe half a pump on the grease gun.
The hydro moter covers...if it isn't already on the machine, then I'm not going to be able to get them, a 8 hour round trip just isn't going to be in the cards, if they are missing than I'll have to locate some replacements. I'll have to look later when I go work on it.

antfarmer2

The hour meters been non-functional for what I'd guess is a long time, it reads 920 hours, I'd assume for the year it is that it'd have alot more hours than that. from what I could see and tell, the u-joints appeared to have been replaced at some point, it looked fairly new and not all gunked up like I would of expected, it took grease well, didn't have to pump much in to get it to start pushing out, maybe half a pump on the grease gun.
The hydro moter covers...if it isn't already on the machine, then I'm not going to be able to get them, a 8 hour round trip just isn't going to be in the cards, if they are missing than I'll have to locate some replacements. I'll have to look later when I go work on it.
Use the phone and UPS

OP
OP
T

todderwater

Use the phone and UPS
I called the previous owner, he said he'd check to see if they were there...
and just an update on the creeping, I ran into an issue when replacing the bushings on the steering and pintle arms. I removed the old bushings, they fit tight into the arms, and had to tap them out, when I went to press in the new bushing, bobcat part number: 6665701, it went in really easy, I can press in a new bushing using just my fingers. which concerned me, as once installed, I could actually move the entire bushing back and forth and spin it in the arm, using just my fingers with little pressure. so back to the bobcat dealer I went, bringing the steering and pintle arms along, and they thought it wasn't right either, and suggested that the arms were worn causing the loose fit for the bushings. when measured against other arms they had, they were not worn, long story short, the dealer installed a new bushing and same problem. the main concern is the bushing wearing the arms instead of just the bushing wearing,
dealer said they would check into the problem, right now I have the project on hold until a resolution is found, I do wonder if something like lock-tight or something similier would work, and hold up, I don't think it'd take much to lock the bushings in place... I don't want to have to center punch all around the holes to reduce the diameter for a tighter fit, it just does not seem to be the proper fix, has anyone else ran into an issue like this? and any ideas to solve it?

antfarmer2

I called the previous owner, he said he'd check to see if they were there...
and just an update on the creeping, I ran into an issue when replacing the bushings on the steering and pintle arms. I removed the old bushings, they fit tight into the arms, and had to tap them out, when I went to press in the new bushing, bobcat part number: 6665701, it went in really easy, I can press in a new bushing using just my fingers. which concerned me, as once installed, I could actually move the entire bushing back and forth and spin it in the arm, using just my fingers with little pressure. so back to the bobcat dealer I went, bringing the steering and pintle arms along, and they thought it wasn't right either, and suggested that the arms were worn causing the loose fit for the bushings. when measured against other arms they had, they were not worn, long story short, the dealer installed a new bushing and same problem. the main concern is the bushing wearing the arms instead of just the bushing wearing,
dealer said they would check into the problem, right now I have the project on hold until a resolution is found, I do wonder if something like lock-tight or something similier would work, and hold up, I don't think it'd take much to lock the bushings in place... I don't want to have to center punch all around the holes to reduce the diameter for a tighter fit, it just does not seem to be the proper fix, has anyone else ran into an issue like this? and any ideas to solve it?
I remember mine giveing me fits too it was kinda wierd but got them to work does it have a key in there?.....you can get some locktight for bearings that works great sorry I can't remember what I did but Idid get it toghther with nothing extra it was a pain but did it

Tazza

Staff member
I remember mine giveing me fits too it was kinda wierd but got them to work does it have a key in there?.....you can get some locktight for bearings that works great sorry I can't remember what I did but Idid get it toghther with nothing extra it was a pain but did it
2 minute glows ae a little long for my liking, sounds like it was a little worn, but the cold weather will make it harder to get going too.
The machine looks very nice.
Getting the steering just right can be a real pain with this machine. Replacing the main centering spring can help get it to return to centre. Have you done this?
http://users.tpg.com.au/tazza_/Steering Adjustment.jpg
Steering%20Adjustment.jpg

OP
OP
T

todderwater

2 minute glows ae a little long for my liking, sounds like it was a little worn, but the cold weather will make it harder to get going too.
The machine looks very nice.
Getting the steering just right can be a real pain with this machine. Replacing the main centering spring can help get it to return to centre. Have you done this?
http://users.tpg.com.au/tazza_/Steering%20Adjustment.jpg
antfarmer2, thanks for the suggestion, I picked up some loctite 660, which is for bearings and it seems like it's done it's job, I can not move the bushings anymore. I just have not had the time to work on the machine, hopefully in the next couple days...

Tazza, yeah the two minute glow plug time was not to my liking either, but, once I repaired the leaks at the injector pump and bled the air from the system, it started up without using the glow plugs at all, granted it was 55° in the shop. I'm in the process of reassembly of all the steering mechanisms, was delayed a bit with the loose bushing issue, but that is resolved now. by the way, the bobcat dealer called and said to use the center punch method to stop the bushing from moving...I still don't like that method, the loctite 660 should take care of it, just have to watch to make sure it'll hold up, I think it will.
this is my first time working on one like this, I worked on a couple old case skid steers about 20 years ago, can't say that those were any easier. I've replaced the centering spring, all the bushings, all the pivot bolts, the cams, and the vinyl guides, the pintle bars I just flipped 180° and are reusing them, the centering bracket had some wear so I welded it and had it machined. basically anything that has any wear is getting replaced, or welded and machined. I really don't want to have to do this again, at least not until I can wear the parts out myself. hopefully I can get the time in the next day or so to put it back together and do the first attempt at adjusting it.

Tazza

Staff member
antfarmer2, thanks for the suggestion, I picked up some loctite 660, which is for bearings and it seems like it's done it's job, I can not move the bushings anymore. I just have not had the time to work on the machine, hopefully in the next couple days...

Tazza, yeah the two minute glow plug time was not to my liking either, but, once I repaired the leaks at the injector pump and bled the air from the system, it started up without using the glow plugs at all, granted it was 55° in the shop. I'm in the process of reassembly of all the steering mechanisms, was delayed a bit with the loose bushing issue, but that is resolved now. by the way, the bobcat dealer called and said to use the center punch method to stop the bushing from moving...I still don't like that method, the loctite 660 should take care of it, just have to watch to make sure it'll hold up, I think it will.
this is my first time working on one like this, I worked on a couple old case skid steers about 20 years ago, can't say that those were any easier. I've replaced the centering spring, all the bushings, all the pivot bolts, the cams, and the vinyl guides, the pintle bars I just flipped 180° and are reusing them, the centering bracket had some wear so I welded it and had it machined. basically anything that has any wear is getting replaced, or welded and machined. I really don't want to have to do this again, at least not until I can wear the parts out myself. hopefully I can get the time in the next day or so to put it back together and do the first attempt at adjusting it.
The centre punch way does work, but i like the addition of loctite though.

OP
OP
T

todderwater

The centre punch way does work, but i like the addition of loctite though.
an update,
All the steering linkage work is complete and adjusted with no creep. The loose bushings issue, the loctite 660 is a nice product and was used on all four of the bushings on the steering linkage, but had to resort to also using the center punch method as well for the bushing on the left lever (the aluminum one), the bushing had the poorest fit there.
Now I'm working on another issue, pretty common one, the connectors from the cab harness to the engine harness, are in pretty poor shape and there were some broken wires there. I believe once repaired it may fix the hour meter not working.
Thanks go to OldMachinist for his help on identifing the lone white wire with the black tracer (it's to an optional fuel shut off soliniod, this machine does not have it) as well as he supplied me with the wiring diagram. I'm going to replace the connectors with some I found at the local electrical hobby shop and make the repairs to the wiring harness as needed. with the holidays it's been pretty hard to find the time to work on it. I forgot my camera when I worked on it last so I was not able to get any pictures.
Thanks to you all for your help and advice, I'm sure I'll be asking for more in the future.

antfarmer2

an update,
All the steering linkage work is complete and adjusted with no creep. The loose bushings issue, the loctite 660 is a nice product and was used on all four of the bushings on the steering linkage, but had to resort to also using the center punch method as well for the bushing on the left lever (the aluminum one), the bushing had the poorest fit there.
Now I'm working on another issue, pretty common one, the connectors from the cab harness to the engine harness, are in pretty poor shape and there were some broken wires there. I believe once repaired it may fix the hour meter not working.
Thanks go to OldMachinist for his help on identifing the lone white wire with the black tracer (it's to an optional fuel shut off soliniod, this machine does not have it) as well as he supplied me with the wiring diagram. I'm going to replace the connectors with some I found at the local electrical hobby shop and make the repairs to the wiring harness as needed. with the holidays it's been pretty hard to find the time to work on it. I forgot my camera when I worked on it last so I was not able to get any pictures.
Thanks to you all for your help and advice, I'm sure I'll be asking for more in the future.
Good to hear great job!!!!!

wings5j

Good to hear great job!!!!!
Sounds like my comments are coming a bit too late. When I tackled the steering adjustments on my Bobcat, I ordered all new bushings. I brought the old ones with me to compare and found out there were two styles of bushings and they were slightly different in size.
The parts guy was pretty sharp and when he saw the style of my old ones, he was able to exchange them for the matching bushings.
John