909 Backhoe

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

vaporbiz

I just purchased a s220 I am wondering if a 909 Backhoe will fit it? I have an opportunity to purchase one at a reasonable price.

skidsteer.ca

Not without some mods made to the upper arms that steady the loaders bucket dump cylinders. The 909 used 2 2" trailer balls on the machine and I don't believe a mount of the early style can be had for a late model large frame machine.
You could mod the hoe to fit the new style backhoe mounts used on the 709 that are essentially hooks on the outside of the boom,
IMG_1269.JPG

I modded a 909 with arms to fit these hooks, it hat a fixed pin to catch the hook from the back side, and a second pin I placed in on the front side to lock the hoe tho the mount.
The newer 709 hoes use these heavy duty hooks to hold the lift arms up a few inches, giving more clearance under the hoe stabilizers when transporting. The 709 also has the advantage of standing the main boom up more vertical, so if you stabilizers are sinking in soft soil, you don't hit the end of the ram near as easy coming up out of the excavation.
I have also seen a quick release 3 pt tractor hitch top link used to steady the bucket tilt cylinders on the machine, they are available from New Holland and JD. Just a matter of a simple bracket to weld to the hoe and to the machine.
Ken

skidsteer.ca

how deep will it dig?
The 909 and the later model 709 both have a 9' dig depth along only 2' of the trench bottom. (must be the perfect distance from the machine to reach that depth) and do 7 ft with a reasonable amount of reach left.
Ken