883 lift and tilt are slow and weak.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

axeman68

I am new to this site.
I have a 2002 883 turbo with less than 700 hrs. that runs and drives well, but has reduced power to the lift arm and bucket.
I have read through the site and done some diagnostics:
1) pressure test on the AUX line was 3000 at normal engine operating speed, but less at half throttle.
2) Lift and tilt do not "leak down"
3) Machine drives well. (spins tires against a tree) 2 speed hauls butt.
4) Filter changed 60 hrs ago.
I am thinking I either need to rebuild the control valve assembly or replace the gear pump. Any ideas on how to better diagnose the issue. I am trying to avoid spending time and money on the wrong issue ;)
Thanks in advance!

Bobcatdan

I would do a pump flow test to see what the gpm is. Gpm equals speed, pressure equals power. You can check pump flow at the aux coupler. Bobcat recommands plumbing the flowmeter between the pump output and the gear pump for the most accurret reading. Control vavle would have nothing to do with speed unless the spools are not moving far enough, ie crap under the pedals. Just to know, what kind of controls does the machine have.

OP
OP
axeman68

axeman68

I would do a pump flow test to see what the gpm is. Gpm equals speed, pressure equals power. You can check pump flow at the aux coupler. Bobcat recommands plumbing the flowmeter between the pump output and the gear pump for the most accurret reading. Control vavle would have nothing to do with speed unless the spools are not moving far enough, ie crap under the pedals. Just to know, what kind of controls does the machine have.
Thanks for the reply Dan. I do not have the ACS, just foot controls. A flow test is a great idea. Assuming the flow is decreased (low GPM's), and the filter is Ok, is there anything other than the pump that can cause this?

Thanks!

Bobcatdan

Thanks for the reply Dan. I do not have the ACS, just foot controls. A flow test is a great idea. Assuming the flow is decreased (low GPM's), and the filter is Ok, is there anything other than the pump that can cause this?

Thanks!
Does iit sound like it is laboring at all? If an aux stem sticks, it can push the system over relief which affect make lift and tilt. Install a jumper hose on the aux couplers and see if that makes any difference. This idea is a little of long shot, but I think worth a try.

OP
OP
axeman68

axeman68

Does iit sound like it is laboring at all? If an aux stem sticks, it can push the system over relief which affect make lift and tilt. Install a jumper hose on the aux couplers and see if that makes any difference. This idea is a little of long shot, but I think worth a try.
Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and pulled the pump yesterday. I have only opened it up partially and have already found some significant damage. Uhgggg!
Any suggestions for discount parts suppliers? It is the highflow 2 speed. $$$Ouch!

I also want to thank all of the people who have spent their time and energy to keep this forum strong. There is no way I could have figured this out without reading the dozens of related posts!

Bobcatdan

Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and pulled the pump yesterday. I have only opened it up partially and have already found some significant damage. Uhgggg!
Any suggestions for discount parts suppliers? It is the highflow 2 speed. $$$Ouch!

I also want to thank all of the people who have spent their time and energy to keep this forum strong. There is no way I could have figured this out without reading the dozens of related posts!
Stuff like pumps i would stay with bobcay oem.

Tazza

Staff member
Stuff like pumps i would stay with bobcay oem.
I'd try contacting loader parts source too, theyr gear is meant to be just as good as OEM, but at a better price. They can't get everything though, it's worth a call or e-mail.