873g "input"

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

maylay352

I have a friend with a 873g that is acting dead. When you turn the key the only thing that happens is input comes up on screen and a clicking noise from below which sounds like a relay or solenoid and reacts when you raise or lower seat bar. I started at battery and worked my way to panels in cab and can't find any problems with wiring or connectors. I've removed all fuses and relays and cleaned. I called the local bobcat and only thing they would tell me is ignition was bad. Tried to switch two panels in cab from a working machine with same results. Removed and clean connectors on computer behind panel by left leg. Grounds and fuse in engine area looks good and I can turn engine over at starter but shutoff isn't releasing so engine won't start. A/C fan will come on and lights as well. I don't have any manuals except the little one wired to inside cab and it doesn't tell very much. Can't get it to give any codes only "input". I'm running out of ideas.

bobbie-g

Someone else smarter than I am will likely jump in here, but as I remember previous threads, the "input" error had to do with communication between the computer panel and other panels or modules. Maybe the "ignition" panel (with key switch) can't talk to the computer panel? Perhaps that implies a poor connection probably up at the top of the cab in front of your head? Best I can recall.... :) ---Bobbie G.

OP
OP
M

maylay352

Someone else smarter than I am will likely jump in here, but as I remember previous threads, the "input" error had to do with communication between the computer panel and other panels or modules. Maybe the "ignition" panel (with key switch) can't talk to the computer panel? Perhaps that implies a poor connection probably up at the top of the cab in front of your head? Best I can recall.... :) ---Bobbie G.
I've removed all panels and cleaned all connections and wiring, also switched ignition panel off a working machine as well as panel on left side. No sign of headlights leaking, everything looks clean and dry. Machine has had problem intermittently in past; but has always started after a few tries. It started after friend had battery changed. I'm thinking the computer is fried.

OP
OP
M

maylay352

I've removed all panels and cleaned all connections and wiring, also switched ignition panel off a working machine as well as panel on left side. No sign of headlights leaking, everything looks clean and dry. Machine has had problem intermittently in past; but has always started after a few tries. It started after friend had battery changed. I'm thinking the computer is fried.
Also there is power at red wire going into ignition panel and when ignitinion is turned on it comes back out Orange wire to the panel on left where the input message comes up. Thankyou for all and any ideas.

Fishfiles

Also there is power at red wire going into ignition panel and when ignitinion is turned on it comes back out Orange wire to the panel on left where the input message comes up. Thankyou for all and any ideas.
Like Bobby-G says , input means that communication between the left and right panel and the controll is not happening , since you changed the panels with a known good panel then the first two places I would look for a bad wire is behind the cover that goes from the left panel to the right panel , the screw on the left side has a tendency to rub the wiring going between the two panels , if you have the A/C heater switch on the left side top of the cab the screws that hold the switch plate hits the wiring harness , also I would unplug the plugs going into the controller and check for water getting into the plug , if you can't find any spots where the wiiring is bad then the controller is probally bad , you can easily swop controllers from another machine for a test , but the serial number and hours of the machine you took it out of with be in that controller

biggie

Fishtales is on it. Also make sure all the ground connections at the batt are clean,and connecting.No ground/no computer. You could check continuity between 9100, on the computer, and 9110 on left panel.And 9100 to 9120 0n the right. Could be be worn/ broken wire?

OP
OP
M

maylay352

Fishtales is on it. Also make sure all the ground connections at the batt are clean,and connecting.No ground/no computer. You could check continuity between 9100, on the computer, and 9110 on left panel.And 9100 to 9120 0n the right. Could be be worn/ broken wire?
I've inspected all the wires, cleaned and greased connections behind the forward upper and lower left panel as well as under and behind seat, in and behind the fuse panel, hydraulics, little Orange pedal between feet, which I'm assuming is e-brake, engine compartment, also large fuse and all grounds that I've seen along the way. I will start with checking behind upper side panels by the a/c controls and the light. Then move on to swap controller from a working machine. Does anyone know if controller from a s185 will operate an 873g. I'm not sure which wires will be numbered like the above mentioned ones as I do not have any manuals or schematics, but will try to check by color matching I guess. Thank you to everyone for your help!

Fishfiles

I've inspected all the wires, cleaned and greased connections behind the forward upper and lower left panel as well as under and behind seat, in and behind the fuse panel, hydraulics, little Orange pedal between feet, which I'm assuming is e-brake, engine compartment, also large fuse and all grounds that I've seen along the way. I will start with checking behind upper side panels by the a/c controls and the light. Then move on to swap controller from a working machine. Does anyone know if controller from a s185 will operate an 873g. I'm not sure which wires will be numbered like the above mentioned ones as I do not have any manuals or schematics, but will try to check by color matching I guess. Thank you to everyone for your help!
I would doubt that a 185 and a 873 will interchange controllers , call the dealer and get the part number of the controller for both machines and see if they are the same , you are talking quite a few years in between those two , you also have to deal with the problem that there are 4 plug controllers and 2 plug controllers -----------------when you are checking wires you not only have to look for a broken or skinned wire , you have to sometimes actually pull every inch of the wire indivually between your two hands as sometimes the wire will corrode or break inside the plastic covering , when you find a bad spot like I mentioned the covering will streach out ------------you didn't mention checking the plugs of the controller as even though they have weather tite plugs I have seen water get into them and cause problems