873 Turns over but won't start

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

62gretsch

I hadn't used my 873 in a few months. Just went to start it and it's turning over strong but not even trying to start. Nice and warm outside today. Drained fuel filter; Opened air bleed valve & primed. Disconnected hose coming from fuel filter and getting fuel there when trying to start. Opened plug on fuel pump and get fuel there. But I don't get fuel when I loosen the line coming from the fuel pump to the injectors - on any of the four lines. Any ideas? Thanks! Derek

bobbie-g

Derek, sounds like the fuel cut-off solenoid isn't engaging to let fuel flow to the high pressure injector pump. I'm not sure just how that works on an 873, but somewhere, likely on the right hand end of the engine, you should find a solenoid with a wire to it. Check for 12v on that wire when the key switch is on. If not, maybe a fuse or broken wire? If 12v, then check for continuity through the solenoid. I've seen references here to the solenoid, and the exorbitant costs thereof. :) ---Bobbie G.

OP
OP

62gretsch

Derek, sounds like the fuel cut-off solenoid isn't engaging to let fuel flow to the high pressure injector pump. I'm not sure just how that works on an 873, but somewhere, likely on the right hand end of the engine, you should find a solenoid with a wire to it. Check for 12v on that wire when the key switch is on. If not, maybe a fuse or broken wire? If 12v, then check for continuity through the solenoid. I've seen references here to the solenoid, and the exorbitant costs thereof. :) ---Bobbie G.
Thanks - found and checked the solenoid. It was okay (yeah!) pulled the fuse and it was okay. Reseated and it fired right up. Somehow it must have jarred loose a little bit though it looked fine? Thanks for the help and I'm glad for a free fix this time around!

bobbie-g

Thanks - found and checked the solenoid. It was okay (yeah!) pulled the fuse and it was okay. Reseated and it fired right up. Somehow it must have jarred loose a little bit though it looked fine? Thanks for the help and I'm glad for a free fix this time around!
Hey, that's a good feeling to fix a problem for free! So where did you find the solenoid? I need to put my hand on mine while the machine is running fine. I presume you have the Deutz 1011 engine. I've heard they're on the right hand end of the machine, but I really don't know. I suppose I could look....... :) ---RC