873 tilt problem

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

TonyFisher

Hi, Trying to post this a second time... must of timed out on first try.. Problem: 873 F model... 1999 with 1750 hours machine fights itself as the bucket rolls back and you lower the main boom. i have been chasing this for a yr and have made a bunch of repairs... I will post a second post if this submission works.

OP
OP
T

TonyFisher

Ok, here is the history: Hello All, New to the site...I am going to give some history to this problem i have been chasing it for a year. At this point in time I am leaning towards a cracked valve body but if someone has another thought let me know. This is the 11th machine we have owned over the years. I bought it out of an estate due to the motor needing an overhaul in the 873G that we feed a deck with. It has had an issue with the tilt from day one, when i bought it i thought it was sticking from setting for so long. The problem:.............. When tilting back with the bucket and lowering the main boom the machine fights itself. (bogs down / labors .... however you want to state it) Someone else has been into this before from some of the damage I found. The machine had sat for the last 7 years due to the previous owners sickness, prior to that he plowed his 200 yard drive way and lifted some tractor tires in a restoration. This thing is low hours... like 1750 total life hours. 1999 model. The story goes he bought it with 1500 hours on it in 2001 from a construction company. first thing we did was change hydraulic oil and filters. did not really help. new relief cartridge on the back of the tilt spool.. it started to not want to tilt the bucket down..... I thought that the relief was stuck. it tilted back but only came down on gravity... I swapped main boom and tilt and fixed the problem.. so i replaced the tilt relieft... fixed the down pressure issue but not the fighting when rolling the bucket back and lowering the main. In this process i saw all the pipes to the yellow accumulation block (for lack of proper term) on the left side of the machine when cab is up and your facing it... the Solinoid on this was jury rigged on. I took it off and replaced the stem and coil due to damage it had from previous repair. We did some electrical testing of voltage to this coil and the one near your right foot but i can not remember the outcome of the one on the yellow block... the one by your foot has voltage to it. Anyways, I removed the yellow block after replacing the coil and stem with no improvement thinking that something in there was sticking due to sitting. I removed the shuttle in the block and cleaned it with emery cloth. it had a bit of a sticking point to it and a tarnished look. There was two things in there I polished up. Reasonsing behind this is that I thought from looking at the block that this is supposed to allow for a double function to occur without the problem we are seeing. it did not help. it also has a new pump on it... the Alum. one cracked due to having to use the machine on a daily basis. One mechanic suggested that the spool is broke... i do not believe this to be correct due to the tilt moving correctly in both directions..... reasoning that if it was broken it would not actuate in one direction. I have not removed the spool... The tilt cylinder seals are likely good... the tilt does not settle at all and holds pressure down. nor does the main boom settle for that matter. The machine has the Boss system on it... 1999 model.. my dealer doesnt have much expirence with it... I have located a mechanic 120 miles away that is still wrenching that does, but i have not had the time to take it there.. I had a steering valve on a forwarder crack once and it was sending oil to both sides of the steer cylinder....laboring the motor... this acts the same way... I have not pulled pressures on the lines going to the tilt cylinders..... I just thought of that when i was writing this... So if anyone has any insight to this I would like to hear...

OP
OP
T

TonyFisher

Ok, here is the history: Hello All, New to the site...I am going to give some history to this problem i have been chasing it for a year. At this point in time I am leaning towards a cracked valve body but if someone has another thought let me know. This is the 11th machine we have owned over the years. I bought it out of an estate due to the motor needing an overhaul in the 873G that we feed a deck with. It has had an issue with the tilt from day one, when i bought it i thought it was sticking from setting for so long. The problem:.............. When tilting back with the bucket and lowering the main boom the machine fights itself. (bogs down / labors .... however you want to state it) Someone else has been into this before from some of the damage I found. The machine had sat for the last 7 years due to the previous owners sickness, prior to that he plowed his 200 yard drive way and lifted some tractor tires in a restoration. This thing is low hours... like 1750 total life hours. 1999 model. The story goes he bought it with 1500 hours on it in 2001 from a construction company. first thing we did was change hydraulic oil and filters. did not really help. new relief cartridge on the back of the tilt spool.. it started to not want to tilt the bucket down..... I thought that the relief was stuck. it tilted back but only came down on gravity... I swapped main boom and tilt and fixed the problem.. so i replaced the tilt relieft... fixed the down pressure issue but not the fighting when rolling the bucket back and lowering the main. In this process i saw all the pipes to the yellow accumulation block (for lack of proper term) on the left side of the machine when cab is up and your facing it... the Solinoid on this was jury rigged on. I took it off and replaced the stem and coil due to damage it had from previous repair. We did some electrical testing of voltage to this coil and the one near your right foot but i can not remember the outcome of the one on the yellow block... the one by your foot has voltage to it. Anyways, I removed the yellow block after replacing the coil and stem with no improvement thinking that something in there was sticking due to sitting. I removed the shuttle in the block and cleaned it with emery cloth. it had a bit of a sticking point to it and a tarnished look. There was two things in there I polished up. Reasonsing behind this is that I thought from looking at the block that this is supposed to allow for a double function to occur without the problem we are seeing. it did not help. it also has a new pump on it... the Alum. one cracked due to having to use the machine on a daily basis. One mechanic suggested that the spool is broke... i do not believe this to be correct due to the tilt moving correctly in both directions..... reasoning that if it was broken it would not actuate in one direction. I have not removed the spool... The tilt cylinder seals are likely good... the tilt does not settle at all and holds pressure down. nor does the main boom settle for that matter. The machine has the Boss system on it... 1999 model.. my dealer doesnt have much expirence with it... I have located a mechanic 120 miles away that is still wrenching that does, but i have not had the time to take it there.. I had a steering valve on a forwarder crack once and it was sending oil to both sides of the steer cylinder....laboring the motor... this acts the same way... I have not pulled pressures on the lines going to the tilt cylinders..... I just thought of that when i was writing this... So if anyone has any insight to this I would like to hear...
sorry for the massive paragraph.. i cut and paste it from archieves

Tazza

Staff member
sorry for the massive paragraph.. i cut and paste it from archieves
It does sound like it could be a crack... You have tested and changed everything id' have suspected could be the issue.
Weird operation of lift/tilt can be caused by the aux hydraulics being stuck on, but from what I understand of your post, this have been checked?