873 smokin

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Pigfarmer

I have a 873 C and it starts great sounds great but blows a ton white blue smoke mostly at half idle can any one help?

Tazza

Staff member
No. What is the best way to that. It seem to have plenty of power.
Remove the hose to the inlet manifild, see if its all full of oil. Check the turbine for play, it should not move up/down or side to side. If a bearing goes out, it will take the oil seal out too and you will be burning engine oil.

OP
OP
P

Pigfarmer

Remove the hose to the inlet manifild, see if its all full of oil. Check the turbine for play, it should not move up/down or side to side. If a bearing goes out, it will take the oil seal out too and you will be burning engine oil.
Ok. I will try that tomorrow. I sure am glad for your feedbacks!!

Rich M-37

Ok. I will try that tomorrow. I sure am glad for your feedbacks!!
On my 873 it was running fine then it started blowing white smoke then black smoke and started to run wide open. It turned out to be the fuel pump diaphram had a small tear in it. It filled the crankcase with fuel then then it got sucked into the air intake. Just some thing else to check, But Tazza post is most likely the culpit. Rich M-37

Tazza

Staff member
On my 873 it was running fine then it started blowing white smoke then black smoke and started to run wide open. It turned out to be the fuel pump diaphram had a small tear in it. It filled the crankcase with fuel then then it got sucked into the air intake. Just some thing else to check, But Tazza post is most likely the culpit. Rich M-37
Fuel pump is a good idea too, its a little more critical if its bad. You don't want diluted engine oil with desel. Give the oil a sniff, it shouldn't smell like diesel and of course, it should never rise when you check its level.

OP
OP
P

Pigfarmer

Fuel pump is a good idea too, its a little more critical if its bad. You don't want diluted engine oil with desel. Give the oil a sniff, it shouldn't smell like diesel and of course, it should never rise when you check its level.
I pulled turbo oil is coming out of exhaust manifold and looking at the engine from the back of machine the first two injectors are covered with oil. I don't know what the heck I just got alot of heartache.

Tazza

Staff member
I pulled turbo oil is coming out of exhaust manifold and looking at the engine from the back of machine the first two injectors are covered with oil. I don't know what the heck I just got alot of heartache.
Sounds like turbo seals. Make a couple of calls, im pretty sure they can be bought cheaper than the dealer. I thought i heard others paying about the $800 mark, i don't know if it was new or if that was rebuilt. You may be able to get yours fixed at a reasonable price.

Rich M-37

Sounds like turbo seals. Make a couple of calls, im pretty sure they can be bought cheaper than the dealer. I thought i heard others paying about the $800 mark, i don't know if it was new or if that was rebuilt. You may be able to get yours fixed at a reasonable price.
There is a company called Majestic Turbo that rebuilds Turbos. !-800-231-5566. It is worth a call to see what it costs. There adis in Diesel Power Magizine. Rich M-37

kweber

There is a company called Majestic Turbo that rebuilds Turbos. !-800-231-5566. It is worth a call to see what it costs. There adis in Diesel Power Magizine. Rich M-37
I have a post under skidsteers called smoking 873 and when I seen your heading I thought it was mine but anyway I have the same exact problem. You can go to my post under skidsteers and follow my progress but I would lean towards a blown head gasket. Pull the glow plugs out, if it is a turbo seal they will all be coated in a dark or blackish oily residue, if it is only one or two I would say head gskt. You can also take off the to the turbo and the short hose from the turbo to the intake and run the engine that way to eliminate any oil coming from either the turbo or the pcv system. If you are unsure if oil is coming out of turbo you can go to the right side and reach in and put a piece of cardboard between the turbo and the intake to see if it is spitting oil, don't reach in the left side as there are belts turning. Ken

OP
OP
P

Pigfarmer

I have a post under skidsteers called smoking 873 and when I seen your heading I thought it was mine but anyway I have the same exact problem. You can go to my post under skidsteers and follow my progress but I would lean towards a blown head gasket. Pull the glow plugs out, if it is a turbo seal they will all be coated in a dark or blackish oily residue, if it is only one or two I would say head gskt. You can also take off the to the turbo and the short hose from the turbo to the intake and run the engine that way to eliminate any oil coming from either the turbo or the pcv system. If you are unsure if oil is coming out of turbo you can go to the right side and reach in and put a piece of cardboard between the turbo and the intake to see if it is spitting oil, don't reach in the left side as there are belts turning. Ken
Thank you guys for your feed back. This a pretty cool forum. I have not got a whole lot more done I pulled the exhaust manifold and all the wholes were clean except the one closest to where the turbo bolts on it had oil in it. Do you guys think that the oil in that whole could be coming from turbo? Is there a good way to check?

kweber

Thank you guys for your feed back. This a pretty cool forum. I have not got a whole lot more done I pulled the exhaust manifold and all the wholes were clean except the one closest to where the turbo bolts on it had oil in it. Do you guys think that the oil in that whole could be coming from turbo? Is there a good way to check?
Again I would suspect head gasket. See my last post and you can follow what I did. Most likely oil won't feed back into exhaust from the exhaust side side of turbo and if it is coming from intake side it would affect all cylinders.

Latest posts