873 -- several problems or one?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

kfin

I have a 2001 873G. It has about 2300 hours on it and has run really well since I changed the drive chains a few years ago with help from here. I have never loaned it out until this summer. All fluids were filled up when it left and when it came back. It has now developed several issues. I don't know if they are related or not so I will give a summary of what it is doing and you guys can guide me through what to look at first. It has heat/air but it never really has worked...don't think that has anything to do with the new events. I was working last week and it was running fine and all of the sudden it lost power. Doesn't really sound like a diesel. I could have it at full throttle and talk to you if you were 10 feet in front of me. The rpm's go up, but it doesn't have any snort to it. I turned it off. Ordered new fuel filter and all new air filters. Replaced all of that, filled it up with new fuel, same thing. However, it would not start so I took the battery out and charged it (new last year). Still didn't really want to start but did that time. Now it will not start unless I jump it and then it starts right up. At one time, it flashed a message something about a sensor or relay...I believe it was a "starting" sensor but could be wrong. This has not happened again, but I do have to jump it to get it started. I decided to run it for 15 or 20 minutes to see if it would get full power after a few minutes. After about 20 minutes, it flashed a message about coolant temperature was too high and it was shutting down. I let it cool down for an hour, jumped it, drove up the hill and parked. Tonight I was going to take off the fuel line and check the screen at the pick up tube but couldn't get my arm in there far enough. But I did notice that a hose was broken. It is the coolant drive fan belt. Could this broken belt be causing all of the problems? Or just the overheating one? Any advice? I am afraid that I have an electrical problem (no starting), an overheating problem (probably the belt), but have no idea about the loss of power. Keith

SkidRoe

I take it that this belt does not also drive the alternator, does it? If it does, that could explain a possible charging problem, maybe? You would think that you would have seen some other lights / fault codes though....
Is this a mechanical engine or is it electronically controlled? Most modern electronic engines have safety protocols built in to do everything within their power to save an overheating engine. Gas engines will significantly enrich their mixtures and retard ignition timing to attempt to keep the engine cool. I would imagine electronic diesels have similar protocols. This power loss could be an intentional reaction to your over heat condition.
At any rate, start by correcting your known problems and see what that does.
HTH

Bobcatdan

I take it that this belt does not also drive the alternator, does it? If it does, that could explain a possible charging problem, maybe? You would think that you would have seen some other lights / fault codes though....
Is this a mechanical engine or is it electronically controlled? Most modern electronic engines have safety protocols built in to do everything within their power to save an overheating engine. Gas engines will significantly enrich their mixtures and retard ignition timing to attempt to keep the engine cool. I would imagine electronic diesels have similar protocols. This power loss could be an intentional reaction to your over heat condition.
HTH
If the fan belt broke, it will overheat in under 10 minute. That fan needs to turn or no air goes across the cooler. As to the starting, when was the last time the timing belt was changed? Recommand every 3000 hr and they don't go much longer then that. I'm wondering if it jumped a tooth.

OldMachinist

HTH
Duetz engine. I'd check the timing belt to see if it is loose and jumped a few teeth. This is a interference engine and will damage parts if the timing gets too far out.

OP
OP
K

kfin

Duetz engine. I'd check the timing belt to see if it is loose and jumped a few teeth. This is a interference engine and will damage parts if the timing gets too far out.
I bought the machine with 2000 hours on it, I doubt if the timing belt was ever changed but it could have been. It now has 2350 hours on it.
I have a manual for it, is the timing belt something that I could check on my own to see it it has jumped any teeth? Difficult or just a matter of taking the covers off to look at it? The timing belt could cause starting problems?
A friend suggested blowing out the fuel lines tonight to see if that helped. If it was clogged would it not die after a few minutes? It never really fires up hard but has only died the one time it overheated. Like I said, the rpms will go up high but just doesn't have any juice to it.
Yes, the cooling fan drive belt is broken. I do not know when that happened but it is in my truck with a new one ordered.
Thanks for the advice and help guys.....

OldMachinist

I bought the machine with 2000 hours on it, I doubt if the timing belt was ever changed but it could have been. It now has 2350 hours on it.
I have a manual for it, is the timing belt something that I could check on my own to see it it has jumped any teeth? Difficult or just a matter of taking the covers off to look at it? The timing belt could cause starting problems?
A friend suggested blowing out the fuel lines tonight to see if that helped. If it was clogged would it not die after a few minutes? It never really fires up hard but has only died the one time it overheated. Like I said, the rpms will go up high but just doesn't have any juice to it.
Yes, the cooling fan drive belt is broken. I do not know when that happened but it is in my truck with a new one ordered.
Thanks for the advice and help guys.....
You can inspect the timing belt for missing teeth by removing the covers.
The timing is set by installing a pins to locate the cam and crankshaft. You can roughly verify the timing by removing the plugs where these pins go and turn the engine until you see the notch in the camshaft, then look in the hole for the crankshaft locator and see if the flat on the crankshaft throw is lined up.

7LBSSMALLIE

You can inspect the timing belt for missing teeth by removing the covers.
The timing is set by installing a pins to locate the cam and crankshaft. You can roughly verify the timing by removing the plugs where these pins go and turn the engine until you see the notch in the camshaft, then look in the hole for the crankshaft locator and see if the flat on the crankshaft throw is lined up.
take not e this can be a very solid unit if maint is performed;; if not well shame on you..an 873 with 2300 hundred is hrs is just getting started,( if maint has been done) run thru dealer, this is what we do if its junk you will be told if not you will get a quote.(its nice to know if rear lights out but that is not our cocerbn we will let you know but keeping you working , keeps us in buisness we are in this toghter,. get it pm[d and thousand hrd timining belt replaceced, and you have a solid investment. orknickle dime it take 40.000 unit and make it a 4.00 unit , on you ,some of this you can do youreself. save some money drop all covers cla ,en it (inside out to bottom run for forty hrsl now can see leaks worn or broken parts etc,

Bobcatdan

take not e this can be a very solid unit if maint is performed;; if not well shame on you..an 873 with 2300 hundred is hrs is just getting started,( if maint has been done) run thru dealer, this is what we do if its junk you will be told if not you will get a quote.(its nice to know if rear lights out but that is not our cocerbn we will let you know but keeping you working , keeps us in buisness we are in this toghter,. get it pm[d and thousand hrd timining belt replaceced, and you have a solid investment. orknickle dime it take 40.000 unit and make it a 4.00 unit , on you ,some of this you can do youreself. save some money drop all covers cla ,en it (inside out to bottom run for forty hrsl now can see leaks worn or broken parts etc,
2300 hr is pretty low for the belt to go, I don't start recommanding it until 2500. It could be doggy and hard starting if the transfer pump is leaking fuel off into the engine too.

siduramaxde

2300 hr is pretty low for the belt to go, I don't start recommanding it until 2500. It could be doggy and hard starting if the transfer pump is leaking fuel off into the engine too.
the timing belt on my Duetz broke at 1900 hours. Also, I would say that if you install a new fan belt you may think it will have full power. With a broken fan belt the fan won't turn. I think the since you are not hearing the fan you think it is not getting up to full power. The fan is loud when working properly. Also, take the battery out and have it load tested to see if the battery is bad. You can also check to see if the alternator is charging.