873 how to change oil and hydraulic oil

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

torino06

is there a "how to" to change the oil and hydraulic oil? i searched for a DIY but couldnt find anything. does anyone have the service manual?

SkidRoe

Hi Torino, it is pretty much impossible to drain your entire machine of hydraulic oil when changing it. There will always be some left in the cylinders and lines. Many members choose to drain their oil by connecting an open ended hose to one of their aux connections and running the machine with the aux activated until it begins to sputter oil. Shut off the machine, change the filter and refill with Bobcat hydraulic fluid. As far as engine oil goes, it is a similar process to changing the oil in your car. Use a good quality diesel engine oil and a quality filter. HTH

OldMachinist

Hi Torino, it is pretty much impossible to drain your entire machine of hydraulic oil when changing it. There will always be some left in the cylinders and lines. Many members choose to drain their oil by connecting an open ended hose to one of their aux connections and running the machine with the aux activated until it begins to sputter oil. Shut off the machine, change the filter and refill with Bobcat hydraulic fluid. As far as engine oil goes, it is a similar process to changing the oil in your car. Use a good quality diesel engine oil and a quality filter. HTH
 photo Oil_change_zpsc8ff6a23.jpg

photo Oil_change2_zps70c00dae.jpg

OP
OP
T

torino06

thanks for the responses and for the diagram! someone i think had posted the service manual as a download a while back and i had the link but it no long works and i unfortunately did not print it at the time :( any suggestions for type of oil? i believe i read any 10w30 oil works? does it need to be diesel specific? thanks!