873 engine yank

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Fishfiles

I got to take the fuel tank with a hole in it out of an 873 tomorrow , and I am dredding it , I don't think I ever did this combination of model and engine combo , I pressure washed the machine this evening and checked out my game plan , I am thinking it best to pull the air box out , it has the oil colled Duetz in it , I would like to leave the muffler in place but it looks like head room may be a problem------------------- any 873/Duetz motor/pump pull tips

Tazza

Staff member
Hopefully bobcatdan or 7lbsmale can help. I have pretty much alwasy found the muffler had to go, as much of a pain in the butt as it is, especially with the risk of broken bolts.....
The only one i managed to pull muffler and all was a Deutz in a 751, still not exactly sure how i managed though :)
Depending on if you can get helpers, you may be able to jiggle it out without the need for extra height. With the lifting jig, you really do need all the space you can get.

Bobcatdan

Hopefully bobcatdan or 7lbsmale can help. I have pretty much alwasy found the muffler had to go, as much of a pain in the butt as it is, especially with the risk of broken bolts.....
The only one i managed to pull muffler and all was a Deutz in a 751, still not exactly sure how i managed though :)
Depending on if you can get helpers, you may be able to jiggle it out without the need for extra height. With the lifting jig, you really do need all the space you can get.
The muffler will have to come off. You will need that room to jam the cherry picker in there. Overall pretty straight forward. Engine/pimp combo held in by four mounts. Unhook hoses, linkage and electricall and out she come. The thread fittings for the engine oil hoses suck as the need to be cleaned very well and will still appear to leak. Watchs they very close once you are back together and testing.

OP
OP
F

Fishfiles

...it took 32 hours to change the tank , but it did snowball into lots of other repairs and problems along the way , the inside motor mount bolts were frozen up and I had to get a sawsall with a long blade and cut the bolts thru the rubber mounts ,inside the rubber is a coned metal spacer which was hard metal to cut , the old tank was able to come out fairly easyby bending it but the new one would not go in with out removing a block bolted to the frame which holds the tank down , three large bolts hold this block in , one of them is behind the boom cylinder so the wheel had to come off and the cylinder unpinned at the bottom end to access the bolt , while the engine was out I found the intake manifold gasket was broken , I could see a gap between the manifold and the head and the engine was sucking dirt right into the engine , to get the intake off you had to first remove the exhaust and turbo and 5 of the 8 inverted torx screws which holds the manifolds on stripped even though I have spline drive sockets , had to loosen them with a chiesel and hammer , also changed the valve cover gasket , all the turbo gaskets , belts and two travel motor hoses , getting the motor back in by your self is rough , I had forks on a Bobcat and a chain tight over the engine and it would not go far enough in beforethe fork was hitting the frame of the machine even living dangerously with the chain at the tip of the fork , so I found that the boom safety stop isn't really long enough to have the boom all the way up so what I did was make a small extension piece of boom stop out of a old stop , raised the boom higher with another machine and put the extension on the cylinder along with the original stop , after doing this the crossover tube between the boom cleared the top of the engine and I was able to hang a chain off the fork and get the engine farther into the machine and hook a come a long on to the pump and pull the engine into place , tightening up the front motor mount bolt on the left side was pretty hard , my buddy at Bobcat said there was an access plate on side the machine to get at it , not this one , a short rachet wrench and a pry bar one click at a time was the only way I could get it , the a/c , rear aux hydraulics and two stage pump plumbing really added to the problems of getting everything back into place -----------I did learn one thing , I never want to do that same job again

Tazza

Staff member
...it took 32 hours to change the tank , but it did snowball into lots of other repairs and problems along the way , the inside motor mount bolts were frozen up and I had to get a sawsall with a long blade and cut the bolts thru the rubber mounts ,inside the rubber is a coned metal spacer which was hard metal to cut , the old tank was able to come out fairly easyby bending it but the new one would not go in with out removing a block bolted to the frame which holds the tank down , three large bolts hold this block in , one of them is behind the boom cylinder so the wheel had to come off and the cylinder unpinned at the bottom end to access the bolt , while the engine was out I found the intake manifold gasket was broken , I could see a gap between the manifold and the head and the engine was sucking dirt right into the engine , to get the intake off you had to first remove the exhaust and turbo and 5 of the 8 inverted torx screws which holds the manifolds on stripped even though I have spline drive sockets , had to loosen them with a chiesel and hammer , also changed the valve cover gasket , all the turbo gaskets , belts and two travel motor hoses , getting the motor back in by your self is rough , I had forks on a Bobcat and a chain tight over the engine and it would not go far enough in beforethe fork was hitting the frame of the machine even living dangerously with the chain at the tip of the fork , so I found that the boom safety stop isn't really long enough to have the boom all the way up so what I did was make a small extension piece of boom stop out of a old stop , raised the boom higher with another machine and put the extension on the cylinder along with the original stop , after doing this the crossover tube between the boom cleared the top of the engine and I was able to hang a chain off the fork and get the engine farther into the machine and hook a come a long on to the pump and pull the engine into place , tightening up the front motor mount bolt on the left side was pretty hard , my buddy at Bobcat said there was an access plate on side the machine to get at it , not this one , a short rachet wrench and a pry bar one click at a time was the only way I could get it , the a/c , rear aux hydraulics and two stage pump plumbing really added to the problems of getting everything back into place -----------I did learn one thing , I never want to do that same job again
Sounds like it sure was a job and a half to do. I guess as long as it's done and hopefully the leaky inlet manifold gasket hasn't damaged the engine too much.
With an engine that size, you raelly do need a helper. I needed a helper for the 753 that i did a few years ago. Thankfully a mad mate was over at the time and helped me put it back in.
I like the statement that you don't want to do it again, i know what you mean!

Latest posts