873 engine will not shutoff

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

catmocanic

I am working on a 873 bobcat and looking for help. engine starts and you can turn the key off and engine still runs. I have to pull the manual shutoff (right below shutoff solenoid on a deutz engine) to get engine to shut down. I have checked the wires at the solenoid and no power. I have check fuses and relays all ok. Also has a code of 14-03 (book says primary shutoff solenoid problem). I was told that it was the shutoff solenoid, but was wandering why I am not getting any power to the solenoid.

Tazza

Staff member
Most of the solenoids i have used work the exact opposite. When there is no power the machine will not start, they need power to pull the fuel shut off so its in the ON position.
Can you check for power at the relay? before it gets the the shut off solenoid that is.
In the past i have heard of people with problems with those solenoids and they simply attach a manual stop cable. Its not a way i'd want to go but its an option. I like turning the key and the machine stops for me.

Whitey

I have an older 631 with a 2cyl Deutz motor in it , I have to turn the key off and pull the throttle back to shut it down, the guy I bought it from told me that's how he always shut it down, I thought that was kind of odd. My son-in law owns a landscaping business, he has four fairly new New Hollands and he shuts them down the same way. I have no idea why, this is the only diesel I ever owned . Last Friday my starter wouldn't stop cranking over I had to disconnect the battery. The Bobcat dealer told me it was probably the primary solenoid.which cost $100.00, I took it to an auto electric repair shop, it turned out to be the starter was shot, but he cross referenced the the solenoid which was only $22.00 which he had in stock where as the Bobcat dealer would have taken a week, But of coarse the starter cost me $430.00. Just my 2 cents. Whitey

TriHonu

Is the fuel inlet valve lever spring loaded? With the power off if you twist the fuel inlet valve lever and release it, does it return to the closed position?
I thought all these machines were designed as "Fail Safe" meaning that if you lose power the fuel inlet valve should close automatically. So the fuel inlet valve lever either has to be spring loaded or the solenoid has to be spring loaded.
If you unplug the solenoid and power it directly from the battery does it snap open and closed as you apply and remove power? If not, I would suspect the solenoid is bad.
I had an intermittent short in the harness on my 763 and was losing power to the fuel solenoid. Every time I bounced it good the engine would shut off. I was twisting the fuel inlet valve open and jamming in a stick to hold it open to use the loader. The dealer had it 3 times and finally replaced the entire harness. Even they couldn't find the short...
Jeff

Tazza

Staff member
Is the fuel inlet valve lever spring loaded? With the power off if you twist the fuel inlet valve lever and release it, does it return to the closed position?
I thought all these machines were designed as "Fail Safe" meaning that if you lose power the fuel inlet valve should close automatically. So the fuel inlet valve lever either has to be spring loaded or the solenoid has to be spring loaded.
If you unplug the solenoid and power it directly from the battery does it snap open and closed as you apply and remove power? If not, I would suspect the solenoid is bad.
I had an intermittent short in the harness on my 763 and was losing power to the fuel solenoid. Every time I bounced it good the engine would shut off. I was twisting the fuel inlet valve open and jamming in a stick to hold it open to use the loader. The dealer had it 3 times and finally replaced the entire harness. Even they couldn't find the short...
Jeff
My 731 with a Deutz engine was shut off the same way, throttle rite back to shut off.
The newer engines seem to like having a seperate shut down i suspect to allow it to be shut down if the computer detects a problem in an effort to save it from damage. Most new engines when you throttle them rite back will just sit at idle and will not shut down, they have a seperate fuel shut off usually controlled by a solenoid.
I would suspect a wiring issue, i would spend a bit of time with a multi-meter checking the wires, especially rite at the control box then you know its at least getting a signal.
Testing the solenoid with applying power directally is a good idea, that way you know for sure the solenoid is good then all thats left is wiring or a relay.

Latest posts