873 blowing oil

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Tjohanek

Bought a 2001 873 on auction. Was told the turbo was bad which based on all I saw I figured the same. Got it home, replaced the turbo which was bad but it's still blowing oil out the stack and smoking. IM not prepared to give up yet because I picked the machine up so cheap but not sure where to go next, head gasket?

foton

I would do a compression test it would be a good thing to know plus help isolate the problem.

OP
OP
T

Tjohanek

I would do a compression test it would be a good thing to know plus help isolate the problem.
Ok I had it running and pulled off the oil add cap and was immediately met with a blast of air coming out. My first instinct was the rings and or sleeves must be bad. Anything else it could be?

Tazza

Staff member
Ok I had it running and pulled off the oil add cap and was immediately met with a blast of air coming out. My first instinct was the rings and or sleeves must be bad. Anything else it could be?
Could even be a bad head gasket. No matter what, you need to get it pulled down and see what is broken, i think it will be obvious if it's pushing out that much air/exhaust

spitzair

Could even be a bad head gasket. No matter what, you need to get it pulled down and see what is broken, i think it will be obvious if it's pushing out that much air/exhaust
Most likely a head gasket. Apparently a common issue on 873 engines and had one on my 873 go out and do exactly what you described. Not too bad of a job to fix, but there are 3 different styles of head gasket used on these engines. Our Bobcat dealer sent us all 3 and said use the one you need and send the others back. That was in 2002 or so and it hasn't gone bad again since...