873 Auxiliary Hydraulics Not Working

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Buddyluuv

I recently bought a 1999 Bobcat 873 with only 750 hrs. on it. The previous owner said he bought it brand new and never used any attachment other than the bucket it came with. I detached the original bucket and attached a grapple bucket, but I can't get the auxiliary hydraulic system to function properly consistently. Sometimes the grapple bucket will open and close, but most of the time, it will only go one way or the other. I'm prepared to take the Bobcat to a service shop, but I wanted to try my luck here because I think the problem may be something simple. Does anyone have a clue what may possibly be happening here? Any thoughts and ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

sstec

On the upper right hand panel, lowest button.
Are any lights on?
Did you press this button after pressing the lower left panel button , if so how many times?
Do you have the operators manual for this 873?
sstec

OP
OP
B

Buddyluuv

Are any lights on?
Did you press this button after pressing the lower left panel button , if so how many times?
sstec
I pressed the upper right button to activate the auxiliary controls, but I don't recall a lower left button. If I discover that I have a lower left button, what does it do? I will check for the lower left button and the operators manual in the morning and post back. Thank you for responding, btw.

Tazza

Staff member
I pressed the upper right button to activate the auxiliary controls, but I don't recall a lower left button. If I discover that I have a lower left button, what does it do? I will check for the lower left button and the operators manual in the morning and post back. Thank you for responding, btw.
When the machine sits for a long period of time the stems can get sticky. These are the parts that the coils slip over on the control block. You can pull them apart and clean them, but you need to be careful. New they are about $100 each
It's possible this is your problem.

OP
OP
B

Buddyluuv

Are any lights on?
sstec
The lower left button is labeled "Traction Control Override". I did not press this button at all. Should I? Yes, I do have the Operator's Handbook. Yes, lights are on.

Tazza

Staff member
The lower left button is labeled "Traction Control Override". I did not press this button at all. Should I? Yes, I do have the Operator's Handbook. Yes, lights are on.
That button is only needed when you have the seat bar up and you want to move. It disengages the brake but doesn't unlock the hydraulics.
Mostly for when you have an excavator attachment attached.

sstec

That button is only needed when you have the seat bar up and you want to move. It disengages the brake but doesn't unlock the hydraulics.
Mostly for when you have an excavator attachment attached.
Tazza & Buddy,
On my 873 I always have to press the override button (left side) on my 873 whether or not the bar is down, that's why I asked the question.
For my Aux Hyd to work on my grapple bucket , I have to press the left button first and I hear a snap or clunk, the press the right button , once to get the first green light. Then my right hand stick toggle operates the grapple.
sstec

OP
OP
B

Buddyluuv

Tazza & Buddy,
On my 873 I always have to press the override button (left side) on my 873 whether or not the bar is down, that's why I asked the question.
For my Aux Hyd to work on my grapple bucket , I have to press the left button first and I hear a snap or clunk, the press the right button , once to get the first green light. Then my right hand stick toggle operates the grapple.
sstec
Thank you, everyone! I have my auxiliary attachments working properly now! I tried a few solutions, so I do not now which one/ones to credit for the fix. Here is what I did: 1. Pressure washed all the gunk away beneath the cab 2. Removed the coils and drenched stems with PB Blaster 3. Removed the cover on the right steering lever and cleaned the caked on dirt from the right/left auxiliary switch with alcohol and cotton swabs It could have been one solution or the other, or a combination that resolved this issue. Hence, I would like to acknowledge everyone who came to my aid and offered their helpful advice. Much gratitude!