863 high flow, shutdown

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Jimmy192

I have a 1999 863 high flow. It has the dreaded BOSS system that has some led lights out in parts of the display. The machine has shut down 3 times in the past 2 months. The first time I noticed the hydro. running sluggish then a HF-? code popped up. I could not read the number because of the led light out in display. But the Charge Pressure symbol was flashing with the arrows. After reading manual I assumed it was a filter problem. I replaced it and code disappeared so I was off and running again.
After about 30 hours later on machine (about six weeks) same thing happens. I change filter again code disappeared and I am off and running.
About 15 hours later about (2 weeks) same thing. I will be taking it to bobcat this week to have it looked at but was looking for some input .
We use this on a Motocross track so it always has a dirt bucket on it. I have noticed that we frequently have to clean dirt out from between the bobtach and the bucket. When we curl bucket up dirt is getting trapped and accumilates, it then limits the full travel of curl the bucket can make. Could this limit in motion be damaging the hydro system?
Thanks Jimmy

mrfixitpaul

Check for loose or shorted wiring to the hyd. filter sensor. I think that even the boss uses just a grounding type switch for the filter bypass sensor. Maybe when you change the filter you move a wire causing the problem. The dirt in the bobtach probably won't hurt the hydraulics, just putting extra force on the lower pivot pins, trying to force the bobtach forward when curling. I'd make sure to keep greased to help reduce wear.

skidsteer.ca

Check for loose or shorted wiring to the hyd. filter sensor. I think that even the boss uses just a grounding type switch for the filter bypass sensor. Maybe when you change the filter you move a wire causing the problem. The dirt in the bobtach probably won't hurt the hydraulics, just putting extra force on the lower pivot pins, trying to force the bobtach forward when curling. I'd make sure to keep greased to help reduce wear.
If you think ou have a bad sender and have verified the pressure or temp is ok, you can hook the one wire on the sender to the other and that bypasses that sender. (at least that how it went on my 93 753 with boss)
Ken

OP
OP
J

Jimmy192

If you think ou have a bad sender and have verified the pressure or temp is ok, you can hook the one wire on the sender to the other and that bypasses that sender. (at least that how it went on my 93 753 with boss)
Ken
Thanks guys, I will check it out. The only thing that concerned me was noticing the hydrolics to lift arms and bucket seemed sluggish right before the code would pop up?
Jimmy

mrfixitpaul

Thanks guys, I will check it out. The only thing that concerned me was noticing the hydrolics to lift arms and bucket seemed sluggish right before the code would pop up?
Jimmy
Have you checked the main drive belt? Just a thought.

skidsteer.ca

you know I have checked everything but that. I guess that should have been the 2nd or 3rd thing I checked not the last lol
Thats why I love this forum. Thanks Jimmy
Usually the drive belt will squeal, but do check it. Often as it become slightly loose, you get a squeal when pushing and lifting hard. say driving into a bank of gravel and trying to fill the bucket. (max demand on the engine = belt slip) Sometime though as the belt dies they will get extremely loose and the machine will barely move, or all the red lights come on because the belt broke. Also IF your 863 does not have the spring loaded tension-er (as was the case with my 853) there is oil in the idler pulley for its bearings and that should be checked as well as the bearing play)
Any back on topic. You mention jitters before the code comes up, recommend you install a charge pressure (200 psi) gauge and see if the codes coincides with a drop in charge pressure (under 75 psi or so)
Ken

OP
OP
J

Jimmy192

Usually the drive belt will squeal, but do check it. Often as it become slightly loose, you get a squeal when pushing and lifting hard. say driving into a bank of gravel and trying to fill the bucket. (max demand on the engine = belt slip) Sometime though as the belt dies they will get extremely loose and the machine will barely move, or all the red lights come on because the belt broke. Also IF your 863 does not have the spring loaded tension-er (as was the case with my 853) there is oil in the idler pulley for its bearings and that should be checked as well as the bearing play)
Any back on topic. You mention jitters before the code comes up, recommend you install a charge pressure (200 psi) gauge and see if the codes coincides with a drop in charge pressure (under 75 psi or so)
Ken
Could someone help me identify this hose? It is like a 3/4" heater type hose. It has a black plastic male end broke off in the end of it. You can see the hose clamp still attached. It takes off to behind the pump I cannot find where it is broke off from. I was hoping it wasn't sucking dirt in and contaminating the hydraulic fluid. It doesn't appear to leak much if any fluid out. I want to powerwash the area but if there is a open port somewhere thats not to get water in it I don't want to cause any more harm.
I continue to fight this shut down issue. I have been busy so I haven't had time to take it to dealer. Keep hoping to figure this out on my own. It seems to shut down after digging for a while. It doesn't seem hot All fluid levels have been good and the blower system is operating fine with no odd noises. It runs strong while digging. Could a bad sender unit cause the shut down?
Sorry for long post Here are the pics.
resise%203.jpg

resize%201.jpg

resize%202.jpg

Tazza

Staff member
Could someone help me identify this hose? It is like a 3/4" heater type hose. It has a black plastic male end broke off in the end of it. You can see the hose clamp still attached. It takes off to behind the pump I cannot find where it is broke off from. I was hoping it wasn't sucking dirt in and contaminating the hydraulic fluid. It doesn't appear to leak much if any fluid out. I want to powerwash the area but if there is a open port somewhere thats not to get water in it I don't want to cause any more harm.
I continue to fight this shut down issue. I have been busy so I haven't had time to take it to dealer. Keep hoping to figure this out on my own. It seems to shut down after digging for a while. It doesn't seem hot All fluid levels have been good and the blower system is operating fine with no odd noises. It runs strong while digging. Could a bad sender unit cause the shut down?
Sorry for long post Here are the pics.
Check the back of the blower gear box, they have a breether tube attached to them, see if its from there. It should be on the back or top of the horizontal piece of alloy.
I hope that makes sense....

mrfixitpaul

Check the back of the blower gear box, they have a breether tube attached to them, see if its from there. It should be on the back or top of the horizontal piece of alloy.
I hope that makes sense....
Looks like it could be the vent hose broken off of the fuel filler neck??

OldMachinist

Looks like it could be the vent hose broken off of the fuel filler neck??
In your last picture it looks like the hose was where I marked in your picture here. There was somethere there that blocked the dirt and left a clean spot. I would try to look up behind there to see what it was connected to.
hose.jpg picture by calfranch

scar99

In your last picture it looks like the hose was where I marked in your picture here. There was somethere there that blocked the dirt and left a clean spot. I would try to look up behind there to see what it was connected to.
mrfixitpaul is correct it is the vent hose for your fuel tank it should attach to the filler neck just behind where it sticks thru the fan housing.

OP
OP
J

Jimmy192

mrfixitpaul is correct it is the vent hose for your fuel tank it should attach to the filler neck just behind where it sticks thru the fan housing.
You guys are correct. It was the vent hose for gas tank. I couldn't see it since it was facing the rear.
I checked the blower assem. and it was ok.
Thanks guys! now back to my shut down issue.
It has to be a sender or the boss unit.??? I will let you know what I find.