863 Deutz timing belt change questions

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bluedog

So I have watched several videos on youtube. I have done several different cars timing belt changes over the years. Just looking for correct procedure on tension. I contacted Dayco and they recommend 22 - 23 ft lbs of tension. So far they haven't contacted me back on how or where to measure that. They said no need for a fancy tension tool. I thought maybe they meant put 22 ft lbs of tension on the pulley as you tighten the belt.(sounds like way to much to me on tensioner pulley) I know about the Deutz tool 3.5 roll her over and the 6.5 - 9.5 readings. I have seen videos where an engine company runs the OTC gauge all the way up to the green.(too tight?) The OTC gauge goes from 30 to 180 lbs. Are these foot lbs? Gonna be hard to measure 22 - 23 when it starts at 30. On this forum in the Gehl section I found the same 22 - 23 ft lbs recommendation from Daycon on this same belt. But then he said they told him to rotate engine and reset it 47 - 68 lbs. This guy was saying that he thought the 3.5 on the Deutz gauge was newton meters and that he converted that and it came out to match the 22 -23 ft lbs. Which I think is completely wrong.(the nm to ft lbs conversion) I have already bought the belt and pulley from bobcat, and the pins to lock cam and crank from amazon. I also supposedly have the OTC gauge on the way from amazon. May cancel it if it doesn't ship soon. Any and all info will be appreciated. This 863 runs good has 3600 hours but I know it probably has original belt on it.

OP
OP
B

bluedog

Dayco just messaged me back. They said halfway on the longest span.(so probably between the oil pump and cam sprocket) Use any belt tension measuring tool. I still wonder why the one guy posted in the Gehl section on here that after rotating it should read 47 -68 ft lbs. The Deutz gauge videos I have seen show 3.5 for initial tension and after 4 rotations it should read 6.5 - 9.5. The Dayco rep told me 22 - 23 pre tension then roll it over and set it to 22 - 23 ftt lbs again after rolling it over. Still wondering.....

OP
OP
B

bluedog

Dayco just messaged me back. They said halfway on the longest span.(so probably between the oil pump and cam sprocket) Use any belt tension measuring tool. I still wonder why the one guy posted in the Gehl section on here that after rotating it should read 47 -68 ft lbs. The Deutz gauge videos I have seen show 3.5 for initial tension and after 4 rotations it should read 6.5 - 9.5. The Dayco rep told me 22 - 23 pre tension then roll it over and set it to 22 - 23 ftt lbs again after rolling it over. Still wondering.....
Update number three!!!! The Dayco tech got back to me and here is what he clarified...... starting with a 22ft range rotate and re check at the 50 ft range is correct Sorry for my earlier confusion. So now the thread in the Gehl section and the Deutz procedure and what I have posted in this thread all line up as far as initial tension, rotate 4 turns and check tension again. Also two Dayco techs have stated the same 22.5 ft lbs initial tension checked on the longest belt span, and roughly 50 ft lbs(47 - 68 ft lbs) after four rotations. Now if someone would just measure with a good Deutz gauge and then an OTC gauge we might be able to figure out if the 3.5 on the Deutz corresponds to 22 ft lbs on the OTC gauge.

OP
OP
B

bluedog

Update number three!!!! The Dayco tech got back to me and here is what he clarified...... starting with a 22ft range rotate and re check at the 50 ft range is correct Sorry for my earlier confusion. So now the thread in the Gehl section and the Deutz procedure and what I have posted in this thread all line up as far as initial tension, rotate 4 turns and check tension again. Also two Dayco techs have stated the same 22.5 ft lbs initial tension checked on the longest belt span, and roughly 50 ft lbs(47 - 68 ft lbs) after four rotations. Now if someone would just measure with a good Deutz gauge and then an OTC gauge we might be able to figure out if the 3.5 on the Deutz corresponds to 22 ft lbs on the OTC gauge.
Update numbers 4!!! So I looked on the web and saw an ad for an OTC 6673 tension gauge and it said it was in inch pounds. Then I looked at another ad for OTC 6673 and it said it was ft pounds. So I contacted OTC tech canter. The reply was that it measured straight pounds... not inch and not foot pounds. So now I will just assume that the Dayco belt numbers are just straight pounds and not foot pounds. I had wondered how a foot pound measurement could be taken in the middle of a belt anyway. Anyone else on here know for sure?