863 Bobcat Aux Hyd problems

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

hatdrilling

I have a 863 Bobcat that when I put on my hoe attachment and engage the aux hydraulics they won't stay engaged unless you hold the slider switch to the left. I talked to Bobcat dealer yesterday and the parts guy convinced me it was the switch assembly. I bought it for $450 but on the way home decided I wanted to do more research before I put it on. I am not convinced it is the switch. Could be the solenoid or something else. Hate to throw $450 at it not knowing for sure it will fix it. Can anybody tell me how to check the switch or the solenoid or have other ideas?

bobbie-g

Has the 863 worked before with the backhoe? I believe when I have my backhoe connected, I need to pull and release the trigger to lock on the hyd flow. The next trigger pull/release disengages the flow. But the thumb toggle is momentary. To the right is "normal" flow, to the left is "reverse" flow, for as long as you hold the toggle. Or, if you move/hold the thumb toggle either way, then hit and release the trigger, the flow will stay on in that direction when you release the toggle. See if yours works this way. If so, then it's probably working OK. Then take the switch back to the Bobcat dealer, get your money back, and consider donating 10% of what you just saved to the upkeep and maintenance of this forum! :) ---Bobbie-G

OP
OP
H

hatdrilling

Has the 863 worked before with the backhoe? I believe when I have my backhoe connected, I need to pull and release the trigger to lock on the hyd flow. The next trigger pull/release disengages the flow. But the thumb toggle is momentary. To the right is "normal" flow, to the left is "reverse" flow, for as long as you hold the toggle. Or, if you move/hold the thumb toggle either way, then hit and release the trigger, the flow will stay on in that direction when you release the toggle. See if yours works this way. If so, then it's probably working OK. Then take the switch back to the Bobcat dealer, get your money back, and consider donating 10% of what you just saved to the upkeep and maintenance of this forum! :) ---Bobbie-G
Mine worked fine for several years and now has this issue. Only way I can make the attachment work is to hold the toggle to the left. I found a post on this site that had the same issues but unfortunatly I did not save it and cannot find it again. But it said they had one of the spools hanging up.

Tazza

Staff member
Mine worked fine for several years and now has this issue. Only way I can make the attachment work is to hold the toggle to the left. I found a post on this site that had the same issues but unfortunatly I did not save it and cannot find it again. But it said they had one of the spools hanging up.
You can try swapping the stems on the valve block, the part that the coils sit on. If the spool is binding up, you can pull it out of the control block too, make sure it slides in and out smoothly. Sitting idle for a long period of time, I can see that it could stick, bit as it does run in oil, ideally it should never happen.
I have had sticky stems before, I bought a used machine that had sat for a few months, pulled it apart and it works 100% to this day.