853h drive belt

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Chumley

I have an 853H. The drive belt keeps breaking. The breaks are are straight across the belts. It just rips them apart. No shredding of belt what so ever. All pulleys look and feel clean of debris. The tension pulley feels good, no wobble or noise when spinning it. I can spin it and it will keep on spinning. When i put the new belt on everything I started loader and watch the belt. Everything seems to be running straight. Checked bolts for pump mounting, all bolts are in tact and tight. I am wondering if this could be the pump starting to go bad. I Read the post where someone said pulleys were rusted causing belt breakage. I don't see or feel any rusty or rough spot on pulleys. I am at loss trying to figure this out. Any and all input is very much appreciated.

sstec

Is it the right belt? I know my 873 list 4 different belts depending on serial # . All are about the same size just a little longer. Just a thought. sstec

OP
OP
C

Chumley

Is it the right belt? I know my 873 list 4 different belts depending on serial # . All are about the same size just a little longer. Just a thought. sstec
2 belts were bought at bc dealer with serial number given. It is the 3 groove v belt. I have taken the tension pulley out. Have read after it gets hot it may lock up. Gonna run pulley to dealer and see what they say come Tuesday. I took broken belts to them, they had no idea because belts have no burns or or teeth torn off. Belt looks new except for the tear which straight across the belt. I will post pic of belt later. Thanks for the help

OP
OP
C

Chumley

2 belts were bought at bc dealer with serial number given. It is the 3 groove v belt. I have taken the tension pulley out. Have read after it gets hot it may lock up. Gonna run pulley to dealer and see what they say come Tuesday. I took broken belts to them, they had no idea because belts have no burns or or teeth torn off. Belt looks new except for the tear which straight across the belt. I will post pic of belt later. Thanks for the help
Update: Had to go to work out of town for while. I took the fixed tension pulley to 2 dealers and both said looked okay. The tension pulley had very little end play but with tension from the belt when motor running running you could see a wobble side to side with belt going back and forth. I order the spring tension pulley assembly. Before putting tension pulley I cleaned all pulleys with 50grit sandpaper wrapped around some scotchbrite to fit in the v-groove (to remove any rust). Installed spring tension pulley, put belt on, adjusted the arrow to 9 o'clock backed it off just a bit. Started engine and stopped engine. Checked and readjusted tension arrow. Have ran 20hrs now and belt is still together, machine is running great. So I would say that if your machine is breaks the drive belt. After installing the next belt make sure the tension pulley has absolutely no wobble in it. Belt is running straight over the tension pulley. If you see a wobble or belt going side to side over the pulley. Replace pulley because your belt will probably break again. This all the advice I can give because both dealers I had went to had no clue or advice as to what would cause it. So I suspect this is not something that is seen to often in the shops. Just hoping it helps the next person out.

sstec

Update: Had to go to work out of town for while. I took the fixed tension pulley to 2 dealers and both said looked okay. The tension pulley had very little end play but with tension from the belt when motor running running you could see a wobble side to side with belt going back and forth. I order the spring tension pulley assembly. Before putting tension pulley I cleaned all pulleys with 50grit sandpaper wrapped around some scotchbrite to fit in the v-groove (to remove any rust). Installed spring tension pulley, put belt on, adjusted the arrow to 9 o'clock backed it off just a bit. Started engine and stopped engine. Checked and readjusted tension arrow. Have ran 20hrs now and belt is still together, machine is running great. So I would say that if your machine is breaks the drive belt. After installing the next belt make sure the tension pulley has absolutely no wobble in it. Belt is running straight over the tension pulley. If you see a wobble or belt going side to side over the pulley. Replace pulley because your belt will probably break again. This all the advice I can give because both dealers I had went to had no clue or advice as to what would cause it. So I suspect this is not something that is seen to often in the shops. Just hoping it helps the next person out.
Chumley, Thanks for the update. Glad you figured it out. sstec