853 Project

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

siduramaxde

I can't believe that you bury those nice rocks with the 773??? Around these parts that rock would probably be worth about $250. People love to put those rocks in their landscape.
I also noticed all the logs in the back ground of the pics. Are you a loger? I do some logging for a friend during the winter months here in southern Illinois. I love logging. We use a Deere ct332 for a loader, a deere 540 skidder (grapple), and a 550h dozer with sweeps and winch. BTW-nice paint job and nice knuckle boom truck.

OP
OP
skidsteer.ca

skidsteer.ca

I also noticed all the logs in the back ground of the pics. Are you a loger? I do some logging for a friend during the winter months here in southern Illinois. I love logging. We use a Deere ct332 for a loader, a deere 540 skidder (grapple), and a 550h dozer with sweeps and winch. BTW-nice paint job and nice knuckle boom truck.
Yes we have our roots in the logging industry. Its the main show in this area. My father logged from 64 to 85 on a island in Lake of the Woods.
In 85 we switched to "site prep" for reforestation but still cut 1000 to 2000 cords in the winter. The loader in the background is a 200 Serco with a 60" Sirro slasher, a old LTL Ford to haul, and a 648d grapple to skid. The feller bunching is subbed out.
As a hobby/sideline I got into skidsteer rentals and custom work ( as a way to recoup my initial bobcat investment for fixing my own place), which has evolved into attachment sales and loader rebuilds (on a pretty small scale)
The logs beside the knuckboom are @ 60 cords of poplar/ aspen that was over our contract, and the ash by the bobcat is firewood, a friend had me unload for him here so he could deliver it later after spring load restrictions where lifted.
Most of our iron is older. (hard to justify fresher stuff with the frequent seasonal changes in Ontario switching you from one mode to the next) which is how I got good at fixing things to "better then new" Seems my idea of "tough enough" versus most mfg's does'nt quite jibe.
Ken

OP
OP
skidsteer.ca

skidsteer.ca

Yes we have our roots in the logging industry. Its the main show in this area. My father logged from 64 to 85 on a island in Lake of the Woods.
In 85 we switched to "site prep" for reforestation but still cut 1000 to 2000 cords in the winter. The loader in the background is a 200 Serco with a 60" Sirro slasher, a old LTL Ford to haul, and a 648d grapple to skid. The feller bunching is subbed out.
As a hobby/sideline I got into skidsteer rentals and custom work ( as a way to recoup my initial bobcat investment for fixing my own place), which has evolved into attachment sales and loader rebuilds (on a pretty small scale)
The logs beside the knuckboom are @ 60 cords of poplar/ aspen that was over our contract, and the ash by the bobcat is firewood, a friend had me unload for him here so he could deliver it later after spring load restrictions where lifted.
Most of our iron is older. (hard to justify fresher stuff with the frequent seasonal changes in Ontario switching you from one mode to the next) which is how I got good at fixing things to "better then new" Seems my idea of "tough enough" versus most mfg's does'nt quite jibe.
Ken
To bad rocks are so heavy, I'd blast a few million worth of the Canadian Shield and send them to ya. ;p

OP
OP
skidsteer.ca

skidsteer.ca

Ken
To bad rocks are so heavy, I'd blast a few million worth off the Canadian Shield and send them to ya. ;p
Ken

siduramaxde

To bad rocks are so heavy, I'd blast a few million worth off the Canadian Shield and send them to ya. ;p
Ken
What do you sell the logs for? I noticed how you are measureing the amount of wood you cut in cords? The only thing we sell cords of around here is fire wood. Everything (most of what we cut) else is sold by the board foot. We sell logs for veneer and furniture wood. Some of the really good logs get shipped to Japan because they can apparently slice them thiner than we can here in the states. The trees that we harvest would be too big for a feller buncher to harvest. I'm a landscaper by trade and today I bought $1200 worth of boulders. You are sitting on a gold mine!!!

OP
OP
skidsteer.ca

skidsteer.ca

What do you sell the logs for? I noticed how you are measureing the amount of wood you cut in cords? The only thing we sell cords of around here is fire wood. Everything (most of what we cut) else is sold by the board foot. We sell logs for veneer and furniture wood. Some of the really good logs get shipped to Japan because they can apparently slice them thiner than we can here in the states. The trees that we harvest would be too big for a feller buncher to harvest. I'm a landscaper by trade and today I bought $1200 worth of boulders. You are sitting on a gold mine!!!
The aspen goes to the local mill to make paper or chips for osb sheeting. Ocasionally some of the ash is good enough to make veneer and is usually shipped to Nipigon Ontario for processing.
I've heard about wood being sent Japan.
The last veneer I had anything to do with went to Winnipeg, I just loaded 2 Mb trucks for a backhaul. Buyer wanted logs cradled, not pinched with the grapple to load, Said something like 70 slices of veneer in 1" of log, worked out to .013" I know.
Wood is actually all bought by weight here now, but everyone still talks about a cord as a common unit of measure.
As for boulders, figure the freight from 56623 to you, there is enought in the local gravel pits to bury half the state of Il
Have a good day
Ken
PsThe 853 lives again. Just decals to go