853 Paint questions or suggestions

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

V-TWIN

Been looking back through the forums, found a lot of good information. Just still have a few questions, I could use your help on. I have a 853 runs great, looks terrible. I do everything with this machine, alot of exterior abuse. I am not needing this machine to look perfect; but presentable. Not wanting to tear it down all the way to sandblast. Rather degrease, sand, wire brush, mask, and use adhension promoter. Has anyone else try this. If so what were the results. If a complete waste of time Ill sandblast and be done. Thanks for any help.

skidsteer.ca

It will work if your careful about removeing loose rust, paint, grease and oil. And will look good from 20 ft away, but it won't stop rust as good as sand blasting every nook and cranny, and you will have to carefully mask or remove items you don't want to paint.
It just won't look nice up close, and if you don't get the steel clean where it is rusted it will rust again.
Ken

OP
OP
V

V-TWIN

It will work if your careful about removeing loose rust, paint, grease and oil. And will look good from 20 ft away, but it won't stop rust as good as sand blasting every nook and cranny, and you will have to carefully mask or remove items you don't want to paint.
It just won't look nice up close, and if you don't get the steel clean where it is rusted it will rust again.
Ken
Thanks for your help, I think I'll either do it right or leave it alone. If I ever decide to sell, I think the cover up paint will scare people off. Them not being sure of whats under the paint.

sterlclan

Thanks for your help, I think I'll either do it right or leave it alone. If I ever decide to sell, I think the cover up paint will scare people off. Them not being sure of whats under the paint.
the quality of the paint all depends on the prep if you feather the edges of the chipped spots out far enough and use a quality primer surfacer it wont look too bad I have been doing the dozers and truck frames at work for weeks now cant wait to start digging again Jeff