853 Fuel Tank

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

farmboy55

Went to unload the Bobcat this morn. Noticed something dripping frm the belly pan - deisel fuel. Less than a half tank so not over filled. Engine running fine. Does anyone have a pic of the fuel tank? so I can see where to look for the fuel line connections if possible to see them. My luck will be a leak in the fuel tank. dennis

Fishfiles

The suction nd return lines fittings push into the top of the tank with a rubber bushing , the same rubber bushing is pushed into the bottom of the tank with a plug in it for the drain plug , seen a bunch of 853 have holes in the tank , one place is the weldment on side the machine that has a hole bored into it on each side the machine , a stick or rebar goes thru the hole and damages the tank , there is a plate with 3 bolts that covers the drain plugs for the tank and the chain case , sometimes that cover gets knocked off and something will hit the tank thru that hole , also seen rocks get under the oil pan and rub a hole in the plastic tank , the motor has to be removed to get the tank out , don't sound good

perry

The suction nd return lines fittings push into the top of the tank with a rubber bushing , the same rubber bushing is pushed into the bottom of the tank with a plug in it for the drain plug , seen a bunch of 853 have holes in the tank , one place is the weldment on side the machine that has a hole bored into it on each side the machine , a stick or rebar goes thru the hole and damages the tank , there is a plate with 3 bolts that covers the drain plugs for the tank and the chain case , sometimes that cover gets knocked off and something will hit the tank thru that hole , also seen rocks get under the oil pan and rub a hole in the plastic tank , the motor has to be removed to get the tank out , don't sound good
Farmboy, I just finished pulling the engine and fuel tank then reinstalled on my 853, what fishfiles says is right. I pressure washed the inside of the tank and installed new rubber bushings and plugs, along with a new fuel sender and fuel lines. Pulling the engine is really not all that bad, a little tricky on the reinstall. Watch the fuel sender, it sticks up about 1/2 inch and the hydro drive will break it off if your not carefull. I also replace all hard-to-get-to radiator hoses.
As the engine and hydro drive hangs from the engine hoist, it tilts down, it's much easier if it's level. I used a come-along and welded a bolt on top of the engine hoist, then used it to hook one end of the come-along, the other end ran over the engine and down to the hydro drive. I cranked until everything was level.
I have a standard style engine hoist and with limited space to lift the engine, I removed the 'hook' from the hoist and replaced it with a thick wall 2x2 square tubing about 15 inches long, drilled to accept the bolt. then used my power band saw to cut a v-notch in the end of the 2x2 to accept the chain. Don't want it to slip off...

OP
OP
F

farmboy55

Farmboy, I just finished pulling the engine and fuel tank then reinstalled on my 853, what fishfiles says is right. I pressure washed the inside of the tank and installed new rubber bushings and plugs, along with a new fuel sender and fuel lines. Pulling the engine is really not all that bad, a little tricky on the reinstall. Watch the fuel sender, it sticks up about 1/2 inch and the hydro drive will break it off if your not carefull. I also replace all hard-to-get-to radiator hoses.
As the engine and hydro drive hangs from the engine hoist, it tilts down, it's much easier if it's level. I used a come-along and welded a bolt on top of the engine hoist, then used it to hook one end of the come-along, the other end ran over the engine and down to the hydro drive. I cranked until everything was level.
I have a standard style engine hoist and with limited space to lift the engine, I removed the 'hook' from the hoist and replaced it with a thick wall 2x2 square tubing about 15 inches long, drilled to accept the bolt. then used my power band saw to cut a v-notch in the end of the 2x2 to accept the chain. Don't want it to slip off...
I've not got to really look at it yet, if it is still only a small drip it's going to have to wait and be a winter project. I have a manual, but the fuel tank is not mentioned. It has the drawing to make the engine puller.
I guess the only thing the motor is connected to would be the drive belt. (besides the reg. stuff radiator, battery & wireing) Not a big job, just getting started on it. know what I mean!!!!!
Thanks for the info dennis

perry

I've not got to really look at it yet, if it is still only a small drip it's going to have to wait and be a winter project. I have a manual, but the fuel tank is not mentioned. It has the drawing to make the engine puller.
I guess the only thing the motor is connected to would be the drive belt. (besides the reg. stuff radiator, battery & wireing) Not a big job, just getting started on it. know what I mean!!!!!
Thanks for the info dennis
Yeah! I saw the picture of the engine puller...forget it.. the regular old engine hoist works.
IMHO..It would be tough to try and pull the engine alone.

skidsteer.ca

Yeah! I saw the picture of the engine puller...forget it.. the regular old engine hoist works.
IMHO..It would be tough to try and pull the engine alone.
Dennis
I'd check the drain plug though, who to say after 10 or 12 years
Ken

Latest posts