843 won't move

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

RocknRob

Just bought it. Starts and runs good. Will not move forwards, or backwards at all. Pulled cover off. Both chains are still on sprockets, and appear to be in good shape. Any ideas where to start? Thank you Rob

Tazza

Staff member
Does the lift/tilt work?
If not, sounds like the linkage between motor and pump has let go.

7LBSSMALLIE

welcome to forum rob. we are glad to help but, genraly we are tech minded guys and require a bit more info. as in purchased an 843 ( HRS . are helpull) eng runs good overall condition good rough abused etc. lift and tilt works but no drive. another helpfull would be . when sticks move eng grunts . etc glad youre here my freind. well get thru it. the more specfic info provided . ? you know garbage in garbage out. any way welcome

OP
OP
R

RocknRob

welcome to forum rob. we are glad to help but, genraly we are tech minded guys and require a bit more info. as in purchased an 843 ( HRS . are helpull) eng runs good overall condition good rough abused etc. lift and tilt works but no drive. another helpfull would be . when sticks move eng grunts . etc glad youre here my freind. well get thru it. the more specfic info provided . ? you know garbage in garbage out. any way welcome
Thank you for replies. It has 2200 hours on it. I just figured out that the main pump that connects to the engine. Is totally unhooked. I'm wondering now if its froze up. Going to try to see if it will turn at all tomorrow. I took cab off tonight. And removed fuel tank to I can have a little more working room. I appreciate the input. Rob

OP
OP
R

RocknRob

Thank you for replies. It has 2200 hours on it. I just figured out that the main pump that connects to the engine. Is totally unhooked. I'm wondering now if its froze up. Going to try to see if it will turn at all tomorrow. I took cab off tonight. And removed fuel tank to I can have a little more working room. I appreciate the input. Rob
The guy I bought it from told me the cylinder raised up and down. But he had it off because it was leaking. So I guess I will see about that after I get the drive problem figured out.

OP
OP
R

RocknRob

The guy I bought it from told me the cylinder raised up and down. But he had it off because it was leaking. So I guess I will see about that after I get the drive problem figured out.
Over all the machine looks pretty good. Engine runs and sounds good. Doesn't smoke or knock. Is that called the drive pump that connects directly to back of engine?

Tazza

Staff member
Over all the machine looks pretty good. Engine runs and sounds good. Doesn't smoke or knock. Is that called the drive pump that connects directly to back of engine?
Yes, that is your drive pump.
You have the engine that has a universal joint that connects between the flywheel and pump. Thses do let go, some cause major damage when they do, others just snap off and no harm is done to the pump.
Get the joints fixed, and see how it runs.

mmsllc

Yes, that is your drive pump.
You have the engine that has a universal joint that connects between the flywheel and pump. Thses do let go, some cause major damage when they do, others just snap off and no harm is done to the pump.
Get the joints fixed, and see how it runs.
What is wrong with the cylinder? is it leaking fluid?? Or something worse???

OP
OP
R

RocknRob

What is wrong with the cylinder? is it leaking fluid?? Or something worse???
I was told that the cylinder was just leaking. That's why he took it off. I figured once I get the drive part lined out. I will work on the cylinder. I got the main drive pump off this morning. Got it opened up and it has some broken pieces in it. I have been digging around online trying to find a rebuild kit for it. Gonna try finaldriveparts.com Monday. I'm gonna go ahead and open the other pump up to make sure it all looks good, and no metal shavings inside it. Anybody have any idea how much a rebuild kit will cost? Or a good place to check with to get one?

Tazza

Staff member
I was told that the cylinder was just leaking. That's why he took it off. I figured once I get the drive part lined out. I will work on the cylinder. I got the main drive pump off this morning. Got it opened up and it has some broken pieces in it. I have been digging around online trying to find a rebuild kit for it. Gonna try finaldriveparts.com Monday. I'm gonna go ahead and open the other pump up to make sure it all looks good, and no metal shavings inside it. Anybody have any idea how much a rebuild kit will cost? Or a good place to check with to get one?
Look at loader parts source too.
It depends on what parts are broken, some are cheap, some really aren't....

OP
OP
R

RocknRob

Look at loader parts source too.
It depends on what parts are broken, some are cheap, some really aren't....
I finally got new pump on today. It moves now but feels like one side is pulling a little harder than other side. I just ran it for maybe 2 or 3 minutes. I didn't wanna chance messing something up. Could it maybe just have air in the lines? If so how do I solve that problem? Thank you

Tazza

Staff member
I finally got new pump on today. It moves now but feels like one side is pulling a little harder than other side. I just ran it for maybe 2 or 3 minutes. I didn't wanna chance messing something up. Could it maybe just have air in the lines? If so how do I solve that problem? Thank you
It could be air, it will take time to get out of the system.
If one side keeps pulling harder, it could be bad seals in a drive motor or wear in it.
If you swap motors from side to side, you can confirm if it is the motor or not.
Did you get a re-co pump or another used one?

OP
OP
R

RocknRob

It could be air, it will take time to get out of the system.
If one side keeps pulling harder, it could be bad seals in a drive motor or wear in it.
If you swap motors from side to side, you can confirm if it is the motor or not.
Did you get a re-co pump or another used one?
I got a rebuilt one from loader parts source

Tazza

Staff member
I got a rebuilt one from loader parts source
Let the air bleed a bit more and see how it feels, it could be motor wear, but also check that the linkages are not bottoming out on the plate that the steering levers poke through. If there is wear in the linkages, they can bottom out and give less travel.

Siteworx

Let the air bleed a bit more and see how it feels, it could be motor wear, but also check that the linkages are not bottoming out on the plate that the steering levers poke through. If there is wear in the linkages, they can bottom out and give less travel.
I have a similar problem with my 873. It's a 2000 model G series with 2700.7 hours. I did a complete service on it including the timing belt at 2686 hrs. So today I took it over to help a friend clean up from a bad storm. I got it off the trailer and went up his driveway and shut the machine off. When i started it back up and started to back up it stopped moving. I than pushed the sticks forward and it moved about a foot or so and stopped. So I noticed that the left rear tire is the one that is locking up. It will move back and forth but only for a foot or so. It just that one wheel. What causes this? Is it a drive motor or pump? I have only had this machine for a few months and it's been great. I previously had a 1989 743 so I am a little lost on the newer machine. Any help would be great

Tazza

Staff member
I have a similar problem with my 873. It's a 2000 model G series with 2700.7 hours. I did a complete service on it including the timing belt at 2686 hrs. So today I took it over to help a friend clean up from a bad storm. I got it off the trailer and went up his driveway and shut the machine off. When i started it back up and started to back up it stopped moving. I than pushed the sticks forward and it moved about a foot or so and stopped. So I noticed that the left rear tire is the one that is locking up. It will move back and forth but only for a foot or so. It just that one wheel. What causes this? Is it a drive motor or pump? I have only had this machine for a few months and it's been great. I previously had a 1989 743 so I am a little lost on the newer machine. Any help would be great
Get the wheels up off the ground and rotate the wheels on each side, see if they move the same amount. It could be a broken drive chain. I doubt it is the motor locking up. If it was, with the reduction, it would move inches, not feet.

Siteworx

Get the wheels up off the ground and rotate the wheels on each side, see if they move the same amount. It could be a broken drive chain. I doubt it is the motor locking up. If it was, with the reduction, it would move inches, not feet.
I finally got my machine on the trailer with the help of our excavator. When it was off the ground I rotated the wheel and you could hear something in there draging. Im pretty sure its a broke chain. I also notice on the same wheel the inside is covered in dust. So I guess I have a seal leaking too. Does anyone make aftermarket chains or is it best to buy from bobcat???

Tazza

Staff member
I finally got my machine on the trailer with the help of our excavator. When it was off the ground I rotated the wheel and you could hear something in there draging. Im pretty sure its a broke chain. I also notice on the same wheel the inside is covered in dust. So I guess I have a seal leaking too. Does anyone make aftermarket chains or is it best to buy from bobcat???
You can buy quality chain and links from a bearing or wire rope supplier. Get prices from them and Bobcat, see how the prices are between the two.