843, Ok, so it wasn't the drive motor, now what?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

la350

Mid '80's 843 with over 6000hrs, very little history came with the rig but I bought it cheap! During the few hours I've used it, there has been a "hammering" on the lower left side, kind of like an impact wrench sound. The left side has finally died as I get no power fore/aft when moving the stick (all controls/linkages appear to be fine). I suspected the drive motor on that side, pulled it off and had a buddy who owns a hyd shop check it out. Its fine. Now that leaves me with chain/sprockets/reduction gear? What do I check next? Questions: if pulling the chains and sprockets, do I also do axle seals/bearings at the same time? Is it just as easy to drop the entire under carriage/chassis to do this? What can go wrong in the reduction gear? What is the approx cost and time involved to do this myself? Where (dealer only?) do I get new sprockets/chain/bearings/seals? Thanks in advance for advice on my new winter project! Lance

Tazza

Staff member
It could be the gear box, or it could be the pump too. The best way is to move the motor to the other side to confirm the motor is good. With the machine blocked, can you rotate the wheels at all? If so, it could be the gear reduction box, if not, it could be the pump.
With the motor off, spin the wheels, watch the coupling where the motor connects to and see if it spins and if you can feel crunching as the wheels rotate.

OP
OP
L

la350

It could be the gear box, or it could be the pump too. The best way is to move the motor to the other side to confirm the motor is good. With the machine blocked, can you rotate the wheels at all? If so, it could be the gear reduction box, if not, it could be the pump.
With the motor off, spin the wheels, watch the coupling where the motor connects to and see if it spins and if you can feel crunching as the wheels rotate.
I was thinking that the pumps were not interchangeable side to side but if they are, I'll try doing that this next weekend. While I have the pumps out, would be the time to winch it onto a trailer and bring it back home? I can't remember if you can push/pull these things when not running...... Lance

Tazza

Staff member
I was thinking that the pumps were not interchangeable side to side but if they are, I'll try doing that this next weekend. While I have the pumps out, would be the time to winch it onto a trailer and bring it back home? I can't remember if you can push/pull these things when not running...... Lance
If you can pull the drive motors out it will roll. If they are full of oil they will be pretty well locked up. They will roll VERY slowly. The other way, but very messy is to remove the lines to the motors and roll it slowly, it will spit oil out, but it will allow it to move.

Latest posts