843 left side dead

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

la350

I recently bought a high hour mid '80's vintage 843. Overall condition is very good, has plenty of power but has started to cost me some bucks as expected. I've blown a few hyd lines, had to replace the screen filter in the block under the seat etc. From the get go, I've had a light hammering noise coming from the lower left side of the rig. No noise when traveling straight but a "jack hammering" type noise when turning. I really didn't have the time to address it but I believe its now a bigger issue! My neighbor borrowed it to work on his go cart track. All was well until he was parking it up near his house and a hose blew on the bucket. He parked it, pulled the hose and had a new one made. By the next weekend when he got back to working on it, he found the rig sunk up to the TOP of the tires in the mud. Turns out he had an unknown leak in PVC pipe underground and happened to park directly over the break. The rig was listing over about 15 degrees. He dug and jacked, got blocks under it and then found the rig wouldn't move. Turns out he had the right stick in the accessory "detent" position. I had him move the stick back towards center and the rig drove out of the mud a few feet where he parked it. I went to get it but the left side won't power up. Right side works fine but the left stick does nothing. Any ideas? Could fact that some fluid was lost with the hose break (and then replaced) or that the rig rested a few days at an angle could cause the left side not to work? Or is it something more serious? I've never owned/operated a skid steer before so am at a loss with what to do next. Any help is appreciated! Thanks Lance

Tazza

Staff member
The hammering noise sounds like it could be one of your pumps, did you feel the steering stick shake when it was making this noise? It could also be as simple as a worn chain that is slapping around in the chaincase. This is normal when moving at high speed, especially down hills.
Low fluid level would cause the problem to be on both sides, not just one. A broken chain would dock up one side, so i'd doubt it was a chain.
One way to fault find is to swap motors from side to side, if the problem moves its the motor, if it does not, its the pump.
I'm not sure how easy it is to remove the motors on your machine though.

bcollida

The hammering noise sounds like it could be one of your pumps, did you feel the steering stick shake when it was making this noise? It could also be as simple as a worn chain that is slapping around in the chaincase. This is normal when moving at high speed, especially down hills.
Low fluid level would cause the problem to be on both sides, not just one. A broken chain would dock up one side, so i'd doubt it was a chain.
One way to fault find is to swap motors from side to side, if the problem moves its the motor, if it does not, its the pump.
I'm not sure how easy it is to remove the motors on your machine though.
The craziest things happen when you lend equipment out to neighbors.

OP
OP
L

la350

Thats why i never loan things out, especially machinery.
I agree with issues with "loaning". My buddy did however, pay to have 2 new hoses made up and bought the replacement hyd fluid. Since it was making noise when I bought the machine, I don't blame any of the issues with his useage. I just need the thing fixed! How difficult is it to pull the left side motor off? Does it just unbolt from the frame there between the tires or do I have to get into the chain case? Lance

mrfixitpaul

I agree with issues with "loaning". My buddy did however, pay to have 2 new hoses made up and bought the replacement hyd fluid. Since it was making noise when I bought the machine, I don't blame any of the issues with his useage. I just need the thing fixed! How difficult is it to pull the left side motor off? Does it just unbolt from the frame there between the tires or do I have to get into the chain case? Lance
I believe on the 843 the motor bolts up to a 'carrier' with 4 bolts. The 'carrier' bolts up to the chaincase and has the drive sprockets. Should be easy enough to swap the motors from side to side to help troubleshoot a bad one. If the carrier goes bad it usually leaks all the oil from the hyd tank into the chaincase (case drain line). Hope this helps.