843 drive motor?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

woodhick

I am loosing hydraulic oil at a greater rate than I see leaking outside. I am assuming its a drive motor leaking into the chain case but have not confirmed yet. Is it possible to rebuild/reasel the motors or do they have to be or should they be replaced? Thanks

jerry

Search for "drive motor" on this forum and a lot of posts come up on the subject. For some reason I always have to hit search twice before getting any results.

OP
OP
W

woodhick

Search for "drive motor" on this forum and a lot of posts come up on the subject. For some reason I always have to hit search twice before getting any results.
Tried doing a search for "drive motor" with no results. Is there anyway to determine which motor is leaking?

Bobcatdan

Tried doing a search for "drive motor" with no results. Is there anyway to determine which motor is leaking?
No good way to tell, do both. I will look tomorrow, if it is like a newer one the seal is in the carrier not the motor. I don't remember on the old ones with gear reduction boxes.

jerry

No good way to tell, do both. I will look tomorrow, if it is like a newer one the seal is in the carrier not the motor. I don't remember on the old ones with gear reduction boxes.
If the search comes up with nothing click search again, I get over 5 pages results but as said you have to do it twice.

OP
OP
W

woodhick

If the search comes up with nothing click search again, I get over 5 pages results but as said you have to do it twice.
Thanks Dan please check on that for me. Jerry I have tried the search function multiple times and was getting no results. Tried again and I get one which is my post. Tried hitting search up to 5 or 6 times. Not sure on that one. About how much time does it take to pull one motor and put seals in? I am going to to do both but just trying to get an idea and I know experience makes all the difference in the world on that answer but an average time? Anything else I should look for or replace while I am into that part of the machine?

Bobcatdan

Thanks Dan please check on that for me. Jerry I have tried the search function multiple times and was getting no results. Tried again and I get one which is my post. Tried hitting search up to 5 or 6 times. Not sure on that one. About how much time does it take to pull one motor and put seals in? I am going to to do both but just trying to get an idea and I know experience makes all the difference in the world on that answer but an average time? Anything else I should look for or replace while I am into that part of the machine?
There is a seal and a quadring on the input shaft of the gear reduction box. Pull the motors off and replace seals. Shouldn't be to bad to do.

OP
OP
W

woodhick

There is a seal and a quadring on the input shaft of the gear reduction box. Pull the motors off and replace seals. Shouldn't be to bad to do.
Thanks. Do I need to do anything to the motor itself? or just that ring and seal? How is the oil getting out of the motor? I guess the case drain allows it to get to this area outside of the motor.

Bobcatdan

Thanks. Do I need to do anything to the motor itself? or just that ring and seal? How is the oil getting out of the motor? I guess the case drain allows it to get to this area outside of the motor.
There is no seal on the motor, just the gear reduction box. When looking at the parts breakdown last night, there was an oring on the motor shaft, but it noted no longer used.

OP
OP
W

woodhick

There is no seal on the motor, just the gear reduction box. When looking at the parts breakdown last night, there was an oring on the motor shaft, but it noted no longer used.
Ordered seals and quad rings for both sides today. Now for a dumb question. I am assuming that the fill level for the lower case is up to the plug that located on the front of the housing? Is that correct? Did pressure wash about 5# of old oil and gunk out of bottom end around the pumps and controls today. Looks like there is a piece of rubber sheet that lays under the hydra-static pumps? Is this original or has someone added this? Also on the bobtatch do they make shims for the pins or do they have to be shop made? Mine has about 3/8" slop and I want to add some shims as it has none in it now. What is the best material for these? Thanks

Tazza

Staff member
Ordered seals and quad rings for both sides today. Now for a dumb question. I am assuming that the fill level for the lower case is up to the plug that located on the front of the housing? Is that correct? Did pressure wash about 5# of old oil and gunk out of bottom end around the pumps and controls today. Looks like there is a piece of rubber sheet that lays under the hydra-static pumps? Is this original or has someone added this? Also on the bobtatch do they make shims for the pins or do they have to be shop made? Mine has about 3/8" slop and I want to add some shims as it has none in it now. What is the best material for these? Thanks
You are right, the bottom of the threads on that plug is the correct level.
As for shims, i made mine out of nylon rod. Easy and they last. measure the gap on both sides, divide by two and take a little more for clearance. This way you have equal space either side.