825 electrical problem

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Mr_C

I bought an 825 last fall with quite a few hours on it, but it has a fresh rebuilt motor and recently went through the hydro shop, so it is in fairly good working order. I took it out for the first time since the snow fell last weekend. It was working great, although I noticed a couple of times on of the "trans" lights on the display panel would flicker very briefly. I didn't worry about it because it almost seemed more like a loose wire thing than any actual issue. When I was done I shut it off and the same trans light (there are 2) was dimly glowing. I am guessing it is just an electrical issue and something has a bad ground, I just disconnected the battery so it doesn't drain. I was surprised that it was glowing when the key was off, I assumed that would cut power to all the sensors (maybe thats a clue of where my problem is) I haven't ordered a book for it yet, and couldn't find any online, so I admit I dropped the ball on that one. Is this a common problem, anyone know where that sensor is, or what it measures or how it measures it so I can be a little more educated in diagnosing the problem? With a separate issue, my fuel gauge doesn't work properly. It sits on empty and then will snap up to the correct level and then drop back down. Almost like there is some sort of relay turning it on and off. it varies but sometimes seems like it has a rhythm to it. Anyone seen any issues like this before? I have no idea what would cause it because I assumed that the circuit was just a positive wire going to the key, from the key to the gauge, and then grounding through the fuel sending unit. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I have a bit of experience working on my own equipment (cars, tractors) but this is my first skidsteer and my only diesel besides my truck. thanks, Mr_C

Tazza

Staff member
The trans light is for your charge pressure. If its cold outside, the oil will be thick and the light can come on. The light should come on when you first turn the key and when it starts it should go off. You may need to wait for it to warm up before it stays off though.
The fuel sender, it could be a bad winding on the sender. As the float goes past the bad spot it will have no reading. When it hits a good spot it will read correctly. Its a possibility?

OP
OP
M

Mr_C

The trans light is for your charge pressure. If its cold outside, the oil will be thick and the light can come on. The light should come on when you first turn the key and when it starts it should go off. You may need to wait for it to warm up before it stays off though.
The fuel sender, it could be a bad winding on the sender. As the float goes past the bad spot it will have no reading. When it hits a good spot it will read correctly. Its a possibility?
I don't think my light was coming on due to pressure, I never noticed it flicker until I had been working for about an hour, and even then I think it was when I hit bumps or something. Plus, it should have turned off when I shut the key off, but it stayed on dimly then (who knows, maybe my key is bad also). Its good to know what that light means though. As far as the fuel sender, I think you hit the nail on the head there. I hadn't really considered that it only worked in one spot before. I bet the relative pattern I saw was just from the fuel sloshing. I can test that with a meter easily enough. thanks!