7753 hub still won't come off!!!

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Markaldo

Well I got 3 bottle jacks and gave it a shot and the hub still won't come off... So I decided to take the gear case cover off and to my surprise the axle washer is shattered... Could this be why I have so much play when I grab my hub and push / pull on it? Or did this happen when I was trying to pull the hub? I was originally pulling the front hub because the outter oil seal was leaking all over the inside of the tire. I have the manual and it says nothing about loosening that inside bolt on the gear. Question is, can I remove the bolt that holds the gear on and pull the whole axle out with the hub on as apposed to pulling the hub off? I'm going to have to replace that washer and the bearing anyway at this point.. If I take the bolt off that holds the sprocket on, how hard is it to get the sprocket and chain back on? Sorry, I have no idea how to upload pictures

Tazza

Staff member
I have never heard of the washer being broken, i'd doubt you did that when pulling on the hub. I'd try removing the bolt and replacing the washer and seeing what the end float works out to be. It may prevent you needing to replace the bearings.
With the bottle jacks, did you hit the end of the bolt to shock it free when under load? I have yet to find one that would not let go with this treatment.

OP
OP
M

Markaldo

I have never heard of the washer being broken, i'd doubt you did that when pulling on the hub. I'd try removing the bolt and replacing the washer and seeing what the end float works out to be. It may prevent you needing to replace the bearings.
With the bottle jacks, did you hit the end of the bolt to shock it free when under load? I have yet to find one that would not let go with this treatment.
Yes, had 3 bottle jacks behind the hub and whacked the hub bolt about 5 times.. Didn't budge. Im sure if i replace the washer that is cracked it will take most of the slop out of the axle but I still need to replace the outter axle seal because it leaks.. When I pull the inside axle bolt out to replace the washer, can I pull the whole axle out and replace the oil seal that way? What is it like when you take that bolt out that holds the big sprocket ( gear ) to the axle, does the sprocket ( gear ) fall right off? How do you get that and the chain back on?

Tazza

Staff member
Yes, had 3 bottle jacks behind the hub and whacked the hub bolt about 5 times.. Didn't budge. Im sure if i replace the washer that is cracked it will take most of the slop out of the axle but I still need to replace the outter axle seal because it leaks.. When I pull the inside axle bolt out to replace the washer, can I pull the whole axle out and replace the oil seal that way? What is it like when you take that bolt out that holds the big sprocket ( gear ) to the axle, does the sprocket ( gear ) fall right off? How do you get that and the chain back on?
I guess you could change the seal by removing the entire axle, but it won't be real easy to seat it. Wirst case, if you remove the entire axle, take it to a machine shop with a hydraulic press and get the hub off.
With the bolt off inside the chain case, the axle cab ne pulled out of the tube and the sprocket will slide off the axle. When you put the axle back in, make sure you out the sprocket and chain back on together.
To pull the axle out, i use the same bottle jack trick, but only need one, as there are bearings on the axle, you need to pull them off.

mmsllc

I guess you could change the seal by removing the entire axle, but it won't be real easy to seat it. Wirst case, if you remove the entire axle, take it to a machine shop with a hydraulic press and get the hub off.
With the bolt off inside the chain case, the axle cab ne pulled out of the tube and the sprocket will slide off the axle. When you put the axle back in, make sure you out the sprocket and chain back on together.
To pull the axle out, i use the same bottle jack trick, but only need one, as there are bearings on the axle, you need to pull them off.
Try a little bit of heat to the area around the bolt. Try to keep it from getting to the bolt threads, though. The smack the mess out of it with a very heavy hammer while under bottle jack tension, too.