773's

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

GILL

I've been wanting to upgrade my 732 to something with more HP etc. I've been seeing some 773 turbo models some with cab and heat and some without going for $12-13000. Hours range from 2500 to 3000. Some have had some work done on them and some not. What should I be looking for as problematic with this model? Are they a pain to work on? I'm not keen on turbo's simply because I feel thats just something else to go wrong but, they have them whether I like it or not. This will not be a machine I use all that much unless I buy a tree puller and head for the timber. I will be using it to run a digging arm to fix farm tile now and then. Opinions, experiences both good and bad are welcome. Thanks, Greg

SkidRoe

We have owned an older C-Series 773 for about 7 years now. It is non-turbo'ed. It has been a great machine, very capable. It get used for pretty much everything - see the list of attachments in my signature.
The 773 is basically the vertical lift sibling of the radial lift 763 - considered by many to be one of the best machines that Bobcat ever built. Earlier C and F series machines have a boom design the obstructs visibility a bit more than later G series and S185 machines. Not a deal breaker, but something to be aware of.
As far as things to look out for, there is nothing out of the ordinary. 2500-3000 hours is not that significant, as long as it has been cared for appropriately. There are lots of forum posts on what to look for when buying a used machine.
I would not be afraid of the turbo. Don't skimp on the oil changes, keep the air cleaner and cooling system serviced, don't work it hard immediately after start up, and allow it to cool for a minute or two before shutting it down. We have had numerous tractors and trucks with turbos - never had an issue.
HTH - SR

OP
OP
G

GILL

We have owned an older C-Series 773 for about 7 years now. It is non-turbo'ed. It has been a great machine, very capable. It get used for pretty much everything - see the list of attachments in my signature.
The 773 is basically the vertical lift sibling of the radial lift 763 - considered by many to be one of the best machines that Bobcat ever built. Earlier C and F series machines have a boom design the obstructs visibility a bit more than later G series and S185 machines. Not a deal breaker, but something to be aware of.
As far as things to look out for, there is nothing out of the ordinary. 2500-3000 hours is not that significant, as long as it has been cared for appropriately. There are lots of forum posts on what to look for when buying a used machine.
I would not be afraid of the turbo. Don't skimp on the oil changes, keep the air cleaner and cooling system serviced, don't work it hard immediately after start up, and allow it to cool for a minute or two before shutting it down. We have had numerous tractors and trucks with turbos - never had an issue.
HTH - SR
One that I may look at is an '01. I'm not sure what that makes it alphabetically. It has had an lexan aftermarket cab added with door and Bobcat style heat and heat ducts. He also replaced the fuel tank and sending unit, seat bottom, new drive belt and had the spool valve rebuilt by a dealer. He replaced the top and rear window with something like plexiglass and silicone caulk. There aren't that many photos on craigslist but I talked to him and it seems legit at this time. It's probably 4-1/2 hrs away and I'm not crazy about going that far although he seemed mildly interested in my 732. Thanks for you opinion it does help. Greg

SkidRoe

One that I may look at is an '01. I'm not sure what that makes it alphabetically. It has had an lexan aftermarket cab added with door and Bobcat style heat and heat ducts. He also replaced the fuel tank and sending unit, seat bottom, new drive belt and had the spool valve rebuilt by a dealer. He replaced the top and rear window with something like plexiglass and silicone caulk. There aren't that many photos on craigslist but I talked to him and it seems legit at this time. It's probably 4-1/2 hrs away and I'm not crazy about going that far although he seemed mildly interested in my 732. Thanks for you opinion it does help. Greg
If it is a 2001, it would likely be a G-Series, look for triangular front headlights.
How many hours does this machine have on it?
Cheers - SR

OP
OP
G

GILL

If it is a 2001, it would likely be a G-Series, look for triangular front headlights.
How many hours does this machine have on it?
Cheers - SR
It has the triangular headlights. The hours show 2577.

farmshop

It has the triangular headlights. The hours show 2577.
I would go for a g series if possible. The first series side visibility was not good and they only had a single tilt cylinder we broke several rams over the years

mmsllc

I would go for a g series if possible. The first series side visibility was not good and they only had a single tilt cylinder we broke several rams over the years
I'm a huge fan of BOBCAT's in general. I think the 773's are a decent sized machine to do almost anything with. Mine has 2600 hours, open cab & no heat / air, but looks very good & works like it should. I'm looking to sell it asap. If you are interested, please let me know.

OP
OP
G

GILL

I'm a huge fan of BOBCAT's in general. I think the 773's are a decent sized machine to do almost anything with. Mine has 2600 hours, open cab & no heat / air, but looks very good & works like it should. I'm looking to sell it asap. If you are interested, please let me know.
I'm in central Illinois. Where are you located?

Mikefromcny

I don't doubt it / blame you.
I had a 773G turbo last year. Absolutely loved it. Rust was getting the best of mine as it spent most of its life loading road salt. Lots of power for its size. Don't think the turbo is an issue unless it wasn't maintained. turbo version had 10 more hp over the non turbo version.

mmsllc

I had a 773G turbo last year. Absolutely loved it. Rust was getting the best of mine as it spent most of its life loading road salt. Lots of power for its size. Don't think the turbo is an issue unless it wasn't maintained. turbo version had 10 more hp over the non turbo version.
The 773 I have now runs pretty strong. It seems similar power to a 863, at least to me. The 863's come with turbo diesel engines & they are more than enough to do anything you want to do. I helped a friend tear a house down with just one 863. It had foam-filled tires & it was plenty to pick-away at that old termite house.