773 Q & A

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Idoitall

In my search I came across an ad for a 773 at a reasonable price and I don't know much about these, except that they look "different" from the typical machine. I'm hoping that you guys can help me out. I want to go test it later this week.

It's a 1994 with 2600 hours, very good tires, aux hyd, tooth bucket, heat (no front door) and is said to be and appears to be in good shape from the 1 image that I have seen. Digger Data shows this machine to have the 46 hp Kubota and 1700# capacity, which makes it a bit more than a 753.

Questions: (1) Is this a "vertical lift" model for higher lift or just a different lift design? (2) I assume it will have the quick-tach plate, (3) Can a door be found used at a reasonable price, (4) As a 1994, would it have the BOSS or BICS systems or a computer, (5) Is the aux hyd on a switch or foot pedal, (6) Is the engine mounted sideways or straight. Any other things about a early 773 to know about?

As always, I appreciate your input.

Tazza

Staff member
It is vertical lift.
The bobtach is the standard one used on all current machines.
Door - unsure there.
It will have BICS, it May have BOSS not sure there.
The aux hydraulics will be on the right hand grip.
The engine is east west (side on)
I believe the 773 is the same as the later model S185

skidsteer.ca

Tazza
They updated the boom style in 99 when the G series started, the boom linkage from the top of the loader arms to the frame towers is straight in the C and F series, G series has a bend in that linkage, also added 2 dump cylinders and a s185 is a turbo.`Your bang on on all the rest.
A 773 C this would be more like a s175, its a s170 compared to the new numbers.
Idoitall
Power train is the same a 763 from 94, it just hase the vertical lift boom.
Bics is standard, boss is a option. Good used doors are tough to find and bring 500 to 750, new is in the 1000 to 1100 range. You could make one, I believe they lift a few inches higher. I know my G series lifted 9 inches more then my 753
Check all the boom pins for slop, seen as there are several more that could be wore out. Otherwise its pretty much a lonr wheelbase 753 with a fancy boom.
Ken

OP
OP
I

Idoitall

Tazza
They updated the boom style in 99 when the G series started, the boom linkage from the top of the loader arms to the frame towers is straight in the C and F series, G series has a bend in that linkage, also added 2 dump cylinders and a s185 is a turbo.`Your bang on on all the rest.
A 773 C this would be more like a s175, its a s170 compared to the new numbers.
Idoitall
Power train is the same a 763 from 94, it just hase the vertical lift boom.
Bics is standard, boss is a option. Good used doors are tough to find and bring 500 to 750, new is in the 1000 to 1100 range. You could make one, I believe they lift a few inches higher. I know my G series lifted 9 inches more then my 753
Check all the boom pins for slop, seen as there are several more that could be wore out. Otherwise its pretty much a lonr wheelbase 753 with a fancy boom.
Ken
Thanks for the replies. I talked to the guy last night and I plan on going to test it later this week. He doesn't seem to know a lot about it since he recently traded a truck for it. It's about 3 hours away, so that will take a day.

Given the higher lift but the increased wheelbase, would a 773 be any more stable than say a 753 or 763? The reason I ask is that I will being doing some clearing in the nearby woods and there are some fair grades, say 20% or so. Although I have had a tractor for many years, as a new SS user I know that I will have to be very attentive until I really get the feel of the machine and it's limits. I don't want to end up like the recent t190 rental saga!!

What's the instrument panel going to be? I'm thinking the 3 analog gauges and hour meter on the right, and the key with a couple of lights on the left? Not the newer digital panels.

skidsteer.ca

Thanks for the replies. I talked to the guy last night and I plan on going to test it later this week. He doesn't seem to know a lot about it since he recently traded a truck for it. It's about 3 hours away, so that will take a day.

Given the higher lift but the increased wheelbase, would a 773 be any more stable than say a 753 or 763? The reason I ask is that I will being doing some clearing in the nearby woods and there are some fair grades, say 20% or so. Although I have had a tractor for many years, as a new SS user I know that I will have to be very attentive until I really get the feel of the machine and it's limits. I don't want to end up like the recent t190 rental saga!!

What's the instrument panel going to be? I'm thinking the 3 analog gauges and hour meter on the right, and the key with a couple of lights on the left? Not the newer digital panels.
If it has the 3 analog 2 inch guages that would indicate it is not the boss option.
If it has bar graph electronic guages it is a boss option, be forwarned, machine with boss that are displaying error codes in the hour meter display at startup or during operation can be expensive to fix that electronic cr_p.
Also be sure to activate the aux hydraulics to be sure they function, push the aux mode button up on the dash 1 time, one of the green lights on it should light and stay lit (flashing indicates malfunction) then push the thumb lever on the rh steering lever right, the engine should labour as the front quick coupler oil goes over the relief valve, also it must stop when you let it go and it centers to neutral. Try it to the left and the same thing should happen.
Then push the aux mode button again, now 2 green lights beside it should both be lit. Now pull the finger trigger on the front on the rh steering lever. First pull the engine should labour, and keep labouring until you pull it a second time. This is the aux hyd (front couplers) locked mode used for running a hoe or brusher, thumb switch is used for controlling a grapple etc with cylinders.
Any bobcat wheel loader will be vary light on the front when empty, a long wheel base may be marginally better then a short one. If you remove the front attachment, you can let all the air out of the front tires and they will stay up.
You can counterweight the front or rear depending on your application. Skids work on hills by keeping the heavy end up hill. which is the front when the attachment is loaded and the rear when it is empty.
Deere has an advantage on hills being they are a heavier machine for a given lift capacity, they have more weight on the front tires with no attachment and a long wheelbase. Bobcats are about the lightest machine in a given lift capacity. They have 90 % of the weight on the back when empty, and that much on the front when fully loaded. Working on hills goes better with moderate size loads and counterweight to the front.
Skids tend to have a low center of gravity though, if you keep the load low.
Ken

OP
OP
I

Idoitall

If it has the 3 analog 2 inch guages that would indicate it is not the boss option.
If it has bar graph electronic guages it is a boss option, be forwarned, machine with boss that are displaying error codes in the hour meter display at startup or during operation can be expensive to fix that electronic cr_p.
Also be sure to activate the aux hydraulics to be sure they function, push the aux mode button up on the dash 1 time, one of the green lights on it should light and stay lit (flashing indicates malfunction) then push the thumb lever on the rh steering lever right, the engine should labour as the front quick coupler oil goes over the relief valve, also it must stop when you let it go and it centers to neutral. Try it to the left and the same thing should happen.
Then push the aux mode button again, now 2 green lights beside it should both be lit. Now pull the finger trigger on the front on the rh steering lever. First pull the engine should labour, and keep labouring until you pull it a second time. This is the aux hyd (front couplers) locked mode used for running a hoe or brusher, thumb switch is used for controlling a grapple etc with cylinders.
Any bobcat wheel loader will be vary light on the front when empty, a long wheel base may be marginally better then a short one. If you remove the front attachment, you can let all the air out of the front tires and they will stay up.
You can counterweight the front or rear depending on your application. Skids work on hills by keeping the heavy end up hill. which is the front when the attachment is loaded and the rear when it is empty.
Deere has an advantage on hills being they are a heavier machine for a given lift capacity, they have more weight on the front tires with no attachment and a long wheelbase. Bobcats are about the lightest machine in a given lift capacity. They have 90 % of the weight on the back when empty, and that much on the front when fully loaded. Working on hills goes better with moderate size loads and counterweight to the front.
Skids tend to have a low center of gravity though, if you keep the load low.
Ken
I drove over and tested the 773. Today was a wasted trip of 7 hours, but you never know unless you look.
Pros: Price < $7000, started & ran OK, tires OK, nice tooth bucket, mostly functional,
Cons: BOSS with error codes and partial display, Park brake not functional, Aux did not work, sloop in the bucket & boom pins, couldn't get engine door open to inspect, creeps, no idea on history (just traded for), trailer was junk, etc.
I want to thank all of you for the input you provided. It gave me a lot insight into the machine and what to look for. Ken, I was glad to have the "how to" to test the aux. That will come in handy in the future.