773 fuel problem

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Chandler

Engine started bogging down when under a load, but would start back. So I changed out the fuel filter, but it started quitting every couple of minutes even when it wasn't under a load. I'm getting a lot of air out of the fuel filter bleed off when I pump the bulb. I've bled the injector connections to let air out but I can't get rid of it all. I wonder if after changing out the fuel filter and pumping the bulb that it may have made the pickup tube crack. I can hear air blowing in the tank when I pump the bulb. I've searched the forums and read about a lot of trouble owners have had with this fuel pickup tube.

Tazza

Staff member
Have you tried running it with a fresh bottle of fuel? remove the hose from the tank and put it in some fresh fuel, see if it runs ok and without air bubbles. If so, its a pickup tube issue, be it cracked ot blocked up.

OP
OP
C

Chandler

Have you tried running it with a fresh bottle of fuel? remove the hose from the tank and put it in some fresh fuel, see if it runs ok and without air bubbles. If so, its a pickup tube issue, be it cracked ot blocked up.
I will try that Tazza. Do you think if thats not it that it might be the primer bulb? Also, is there a bleed off on the injector pump? I've looked and I can't find one. I used to have to bleed the air off a 5000 ford tractor I used to have and I don't see anything like that.

Tazza

Staff member
I will try that Tazza. Do you think if thats not it that it might be the primer bulb? Also, is there a bleed off on the injector pump? I've looked and I can't find one. I used to have to bleed the air off a 5000 ford tractor I used to have and I don't see anything like that.
The bleed valve should be in the pump where the fuel goes in. You should see a smaller hose coming off it too, open it to let the air out and it goes back to the tank, but close it before starting the machine.
Its always possible there is a restriction in the primer bulb if that doesn't fix the problem.

OP
OP
C

Chandler

The bleed valve should be in the pump where the fuel goes in. You should see a smaller hose coming off it too, open it to let the air out and it goes back to the tank, but close it before starting the machine.
Its always possible there is a restriction in the primer bulb if that doesn't fix the problem.
Thanks Tazza. It'll be Wednesday or Thursday before I'll get to work on it. I'll let you know what I find.

OP
OP
C

Chandler

Thanks Tazza. It'll be Wednesday or Thursday before I'll get to work on it. I'll let you know what I find.
I went ahead and pulled the fuel pickup tube out. It was gone, only about an inch or so left of it. I went to the Bobcat dealer and got a new tube and tank grommet. Total cost was about eight dollars. It was kinda hard to get to. Where the hose goes into the tank, there is only about an inch or so of hose to work with where it comes from underneath the hydraulic pump. Got it going in about two hours. I didn't put a new screen on the new pickup hose. The parts man at the Bobcat dealer said to put an inline filter in the hose before the cartridge filter and that will take care of any trash and pieces of any hose that deteriorates later on. What was left of the fuel pickup line that I pulled out was cracked and easily broken off. Thanks a lot Tazza for your help!