773 fuel problem

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

msine

My 773 is stalling after about 5 minutes of use. If I prime the fuel system I can get it to run for another 5 minutes. When I open the bleed screw on top of the fuel filter I can hear vacuum. I've replaced the fuel filter and it's not any better. I'd like to check the pickup tube in the tank but, I'm not sure where the tank is and how to get to it? Has anyone done this? Any advice would be apprecitated. Thanks.

Tazza

Staff member
Not 100% sure on this, but it should be under your engine. Ken has a 773 so I'm sure he will pop his nose in to confirm it. The pickup tube should be accessible when you lift the cab, behind the pump under the engine. You should be able to see where the fuel lines enter the tank, there will be a screen at the end that may be plugged up.

Fishfiles

Sounds like its clogged up at the filter screen on the pick up tube , or if the pick up tube has been modified to the newer hard tubing style then it maybe that it sucked up pieces of the older style soft tubing that after breaking off and falling into the bottom of the tank it deteriated into small pieces and are caught up in the 90 degree fitting on top the tank , the pick up tube is not under the motor , look right under the pump

OP
OP
M

msine

Sounds like its clogged up at the filter screen on the pick up tube , or if the pick up tube has been modified to the newer hard tubing style then it maybe that it sucked up pieces of the older style soft tubing that after breaking off and falling into the bottom of the tank it deteriated into small pieces and are caught up in the 90 degree fitting on top the tank , the pick up tube is not under the motor , look right under the pump
I found the pickup tube, it's on the left side of the fuel tank when you lift up the cab. The tank is under the pump. I removerd the fuel pickup tube and it was badly cracked. When I was taking it out of the fuel tank it cracked off completely and fell back inside the tank. Oh well, there it will stay. I went to the dealer and got a new tube and screen. The new tube is "tygon" type vinyl tubing. The origional tube was black rubber style fuel hose. Seems to have fixed the problem.

skidsteer.ca

I found the pickup tube, it's on the left side of the fuel tank when you lift up the cab. The tank is under the pump. I removerd the fuel pickup tube and it was badly cracked. When I was taking it out of the fuel tank it cracked off completely and fell back inside the tank. Oh well, there it will stay. I went to the dealer and got a new tube and screen. The new tube is "tygon" type vinyl tubing. The origional tube was black rubber style fuel hose. Seems to have fixed the problem.
I wonder at what point Bobcat stopped using the old style pickup. Is your 773 a G series? (triangle head lights)
Ken

OP
OP
M

msine

I wonder at what point Bobcat stopped using the old style pickup. Is your 773 a G series? (triangle head lights)
Ken
No, it's the older style with the rectangular headlights / vertical numbers. I think it's a 1997 machine.

Fishfiles

No, it's the older style with the rectangular headlights / vertical numbers. I think it's a 1997 machine.
my dealer has been sealing a new style hard black plastic fuel pickup tube on every model machine for I'd guess 10 years or more now , and they also advise to not put the screen on the end of it