773 Fuel pick up tube ?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Ben A

Hi ! First time here . Well just bought my first Bobcat. 2000 773 with 800 hours with full tank of fuel and now I know why it came with full tank of fuel , oh well live and learn ..... How do I go about replacing the fuel pick up tube . it looks like it's somewhere under the hydraulics and I can't even see the elbow . Do I need to move anything to get to it ? Thank you in advance .

ChandlerW

I'm not sure about your particular model but I'll tell you about my 722 experience this weekend. My 722 wasn't picking up fuel so I decided to pull the tank. My tank comes out the bottom. 4 bolts at the rear near the engine and 2 up front near the foot pedals. Once the plate dropped I pulled it away and had access to the tank. Once I had the tank out I was able to get to the steel plate that held the fuel sensor unit and pickup tube. There are several nuts that hold the steel plate in place. My pickup tube was broken off. It must have rusted and fell off inside the tank because there was nothing on the inside of the tank.
Looking at the parts drawing online it shows NLA for the tube. I'm assuming NLA means No Longer Available. No big deal. I'll grab a piece of tube, braze it in place and put everything back together. That's what I've found with my tank and pickup tube this weekend. Your setup is likely differnent than mine but similar.

OldMachinist

I'm not sure about your particular model but I'll tell you about my 722 experience this weekend. My 722 wasn't picking up fuel so I decided to pull the tank. My tank comes out the bottom. 4 bolts at the rear near the engine and 2 up front near the foot pedals. Once the plate dropped I pulled it away and had access to the tank. Once I had the tank out I was able to get to the steel plate that held the fuel sensor unit and pickup tube. There are several nuts that hold the steel plate in place. My pickup tube was broken off. It must have rusted and fell off inside the tank because there was nothing on the inside of the tank.
Looking at the parts drawing online it shows NLA for the tube. I'm assuming NLA means No Longer Available. No big deal. I'll grab a piece of tube, braze it in place and put everything back together. That's what I've found with my tank and pickup tube this weekend. Your setup is likely differnent than mine but similar.
The 773 fuel tank is under the engine. Get a new piece of line and grommet from the dealer.
Follow the rubber line from the hand primer to the elbow in the tank.
 photo Fuelpickup_zps17145a01.jpg

With the cab up and you can reach down and pry the elbow out of the rubber grommet and pull the grommet out. Put the new line thru the grommet and onto the elbow. Install the grommet then push the elbow into it.

OP
OP
B

Ben A

The 773 fuel tank is under the engine. Get a new piece of line and grommet from the dealer.
Follow the rubber line from the hand primer to the elbow in the tank.

With the cab up and you can reach down and pry the elbow out of the rubber grommet and pull the grommet out. Put the new line thru the grommet and onto the elbow. Install the grommet then push the elbow into it.
Thanks guys ! My problem is that I just can't get to it There is just not enough room in there. I can't even see the elbow . I am thinking about drilling another hole somewhere else and plug the old one . What do you think ?

OldMachinist

Thanks guys ! My problem is that I just can't get to it There is just not enough room in there. I can't even see the elbow . I am thinking about drilling another hole somewhere else and plug the old one . What do you think ?
It's been done that way before. There are several posts from guys that did it. If I remember correctly they put the new hole behind the battery. I'll search for the posts.

OP
OP
B

Ben A

Here's one where they ran the pick up line down the fill tube.
http://www.skidsteerforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=54&frmView=ShowPost&PostID=69217
I may have to do it that way but haven't given up yet . That sure is a good option . Thank you very much .

lesgawlik

I may have to do it that way but haven't given up yet . That sure is a good option . Thank you very much .
Somewhere on the interwebz there is a very good step by step post on how to do this. The post is well-illustrated. The procedure is as described cut the fill tube, remove about 2", size a 3" piece of stainless tube, flatten a spot on the middle of the tube, drill a hole, insert a right angle fitting on the inside, secure fitting on the outside, fit fuel tube to the outer fitting, attach tygon tube to the fitting inside the stainless tube, secure filter on the bottom of the tygon, secure stainless section with hose clamps, and you're done. This was a genius solution.

OP
OP
B

Ben A

Somewhere on the interwebz there is a very good step by step post on how to do this. The post is well-illustrated. The procedure is as described cut the fill tube, remove about 2", size a 3" piece of stainless tube, flatten a spot on the middle of the tube, drill a hole, insert a right angle fitting on the inside, secure fitting on the outside, fit fuel tube to the outer fitting, attach tygon tube to the fitting inside the stainless tube, secure filter on the bottom of the tygon, secure stainless section with hose clamps, and you're done. This was a genius solution.
I am looking for it . Thanks.

Fishfiles

I am looking for it . Thanks.
The 773 is a hard one to do , it is between the engine and the pump , a little more to the left side of center ( sitting in the seat ) my arms and hands are not long enough to touch it , so I use a pair of vise grip and grab the metal 90 degree fitting and pull the tube out , this is done blind by feel , when going back in , it is a little harder as you have to get the rubber bushing in the tank by itself first before the tube , this is hard as you can't see it or touch it with my hand , so what I do is use a large Philips screwdriver and wrap electrical tape around the shaft then put a hose clamp over the tape , slide the rubber bushing on the shaft till it hits against the clamp/stop , then without letting the bushing fall off find the hole and push the bushing in , once you get this far it is easier to slide the tube down the bushing till it contacts the bushing , then use a hammer handle on top the 90 degree fitting and push it down into the bushing ----------------- when I get frustrated with it I'll drill another hole in the tank , relocate the tube for easy future access and plug off the original hose

Latest posts