763 won"t start

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

pbiston

I have a 763 that will not start, It will click and nothing else. I thought it was the starter solenoid clicking but it turned out to be a solenoid on the right side of the engine hooked to a rod to a lever on the engine that is clicking. I tried to jump the starter with a screwdriver to ge it to spin, but no luck. It has been on jumper cables and a charger. It has 700 hours on it, I am familiar with gas engines, but not so much on diesels. Any suggestions would be helpful! Thanks.

OldMachinist

Check to make sure the battery cables are good and not losing voltage. Sometimes they can look allright and be corroded internally. If your sure you're getting full voltage to the starter, jumping it with a screwdriver and the starter still doesn't work then the starter may be bad. But I'd double check the battery cable connections at both ends.

Tazza

Staff member
Check to make sure the battery cables are good and not losing voltage. Sometimes they can look allright and be corroded internally. If your sure you're getting full voltage to the starter, jumping it with a screwdriver and the starter still doesn't work then the starter may be bad. But I'd double check the battery cable connections at both ends.
Diesel engines are very high compression and do need a lot of juice to get going. As stated, make sure the battery and cables are good, If it just clocks that indicated low power and the solenoid tries to start, the power drops and the relay releases, this will continue till you turn the key off.

OP
OP
P

pbiston

Diesel engines are very high compression and do need a lot of juice to get going. As stated, make sure the battery and cables are good, If it just clocks that indicated low power and the solenoid tries to start, the power drops and the relay releases, this will continue till you turn the key off.
Thanks for the replies, I checked the battery terminals and cleaned them, and put in a fresh battery. Still nothing, so I jumped across the starter with a screwdriver, and still nothing. So then I did the next logical thing... I beat on it with a hammer! (while jumping across w/screwdriver) Then it started, it wont start without hitting it. So now I am looking for a solenoid, which cant be found around here without buing the whole starter, which only has 700 hours on it. If anyone has a source for a solenoid for a 2.2 liter Kubota diesel with a Valeo starter #6676957 Please let me know, I would really appreciate it! Thanks

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks for the replies, I checked the battery terminals and cleaned them, and put in a fresh battery. Still nothing, so I jumped across the starter with a screwdriver, and still nothing. So then I did the next logical thing... I beat on it with a hammer! (while jumping across w/screwdriver) Then it started, it wont start without hitting it. So now I am looking for a solenoid, which cant be found around here without buing the whole starter, which only has 700 hours on it. If anyone has a source for a solenoid for a 2.2 liter Kubota diesel with a Valeo starter #6676957 Please let me know, I would really appreciate it! Thanks
Look for a shop that repairs starters/alternators, i'm sure they can get one for you.

OP
OP
P

pbiston

Look for a shop that repairs starters/alternators, i'm sure they can get one for you.
Thanks everyone for the replies, I took your advice and found an alternator and starter rebuild shop within 5 miles from my shop, that I did'nt even know existed. Well I took it in yesterday, and got it back today! new solenoid and a brush kit and a whopping $64.00 later (parts and labor) :) I am back in business. Thanks again

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks everyone for the replies, I took your advice and found an alternator and starter rebuild shop within 5 miles from my shop, that I did'nt even know existed. Well I took it in yesterday, and got it back today! new solenoid and a brush kit and a whopping $64.00 later (parts and labor) :) I am back in business. Thanks again
Thats a pretty good price, i'd expect to may more than that for the solenoid alone.
Glad its all fixed.

skidsteer.ca

Thats a pretty good price, i'd expect to may more than that for the solenoid alone.
Glad its all fixed.
My local starter guy is vary resonable too, considering what they want for re man ones. I Alway go there first.
Ken