763 will not lift or tilt

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

mmsllc

Hey guys, I changed out my cab, wiring harness & hand / travel controls, along with mounting panel that hold the travel controls in place. After doing all of this, it looks cosmetically better, but no longer functions as it should. The wiring to the travel controls no longer wire up to the wiring harness due to a difference in connector type & style. Beyond that, it starts right up, it releases the brake & will travel, but will not lift or tilt. When I unplug the solenoids on top of the loader function control valve, the engines speeds up as if it is no longer loaded down. ALL fuses check out good. It is acting as if the button that unlocks the parking brake & enables the hydraulics is not working, but it does release the brake. I am stumped!! PLEASE help. THX.

Bobcatdan

Sounds like the wrong harness. Harness changes are gravy because every matches up perfectly.

OP
OP
M

mmsllc

Sounds like the wrong harness. Harness changes are gravy because every matches up perfectly.
Hey BOBCATDAN, I was hoping you would respond. I agree that it could be that simple. Do the controls on the travel levers need to be wired up? (Also, What is the deal with "BOSS" systematically be a problem??) My understanding is that I would only lose the controls with out them hooked up. We have another 'module' that appears to have been put on by the previous owner / united rentals. It has a single power & ground wire to it. It also appears to have an 'antenna' type module that was bundled to the factory harness by friction tape. Does that sound like a theft deterrent / GPS device to you?? We are looking to simply remove it, as it is not like the other (5) bobcats I have to compare it to. Can you help me better understand what each of the three electrical solenoids do that mount on the loader control valve? I apologize for all of the questions, but thank you for your time & quick answer.

Bobcatdan

Hey BOBCATDAN, I was hoping you would respond. I agree that it could be that simple. Do the controls on the travel levers need to be wired up? (Also, What is the deal with "BOSS" systematically be a problem??) My understanding is that I would only lose the controls with out them hooked up. We have another 'module' that appears to have been put on by the previous owner / united rentals. It has a single power & ground wire to it. It also appears to have an 'antenna' type module that was bundled to the factory harness by friction tape. Does that sound like a theft deterrent / GPS device to you?? We are looking to simply remove it, as it is not like the other (5) bobcats I have to compare it to. Can you help me better understand what each of the three electrical solenoids do that mount on the loader control valve? I apologize for all of the questions, but thank you for your time & quick answer.
The problem with BOSS was it was underdeveloped. It was the first attempt at computer control. With the exception of introducing protective shutdown, its a completely pointless system. Beside never being able to read the dash, the big problem is when there is problem. The diagnosis is a dart at a dartboard. There is a Bobcat scanner for those. Run threw the test with it three times, it will tell you three different to fix. It's just a bad system. Rip if out and convert to the standard F series wiring. If yours is BOSS, I could see it pissed about the handles being disconnected. It will do stupid shit like that. As for solenoids on the control vavle, it can vary a bit. There is the BICS vavle which locks out lift and tilt. There should be spool lock solenoids on the front to lock the spools. On too is the aux solenoids. On in front and one in back to control direction of aux flow.

OP
OP
M

mmsllc

The problem with BOSS was it was underdeveloped. It was the first attempt at computer control. With the exception of introducing protective shutdown, its a completely pointless system. Beside never being able to read the dash, the big problem is when there is problem. The diagnosis is a dart at a dartboard. There is a Bobcat scanner for those. Run threw the test with it three times, it will tell you three different to fix. It's just a bad system. Rip if out and convert to the standard F series wiring. If yours is BOSS, I could see it pissed about the handles being disconnected. It will do stupid shit like that. As for solenoids on the control vavle, it can vary a bit. There is the BICS vavle which locks out lift and tilt. There should be spool lock solenoids on the front to lock the spools. On too is the aux solenoids. On in front and one in back to control direction of aux flow.
OK.I will reinstall the old wiring harness to the newer cab & reinstall the right travel controller to ensure we cover all of our bases there. I will let you know what it does. I did see a BOSS fuse in the rear fuse panel area. From what you were saying, one of the aux hyd solenoids is staying energized when the machine is turned on. I feel certain that is the issue caused by the wrong wiring & controller not being plugged in. What a learning experience this has become! (Keep in mind all of this was done in an effort to replace a rusty cab & travel control lever mounting panel = cosmetics!!) Thx man.

7LBSSMALLIE

OK.I will reinstall the old wiring harness to the newer cab & reinstall the right travel controller to ensure we cover all of our bases there. I will let you know what it does. I did see a BOSS fuse in the rear fuse panel area. From what you were saying, one of the aux hyd solenoids is staying energized when the machine is turned on. I feel certain that is the issue caused by the wrong wiring & controller not being plugged in. What a learning experience this has become! (Keep in mind all of this was done in an effort to replace a rusty cab & travel control lever mounting panel = cosmetics!!) Thx man.
this acutally may be a early lics sys where the lift lock was located somewhere around rh fan shroud. easy ident 6x6 alum block. with electric solenoid attached.

OP
OP
M

mmsllc

this acutally may be a early lics sys where the lift lock was located somewhere around rh fan shroud. easy ident 6x6 alum block. with electric solenoid attached.
So, as a quick test, I unplugged both top-mounted electric solenoids on top of the loader control valve. After doing that, the machine functions perfect. So, how would those solenoids be energized with the hand controls un plugged? Is this confirmation of it being the wrong harness to the cab or that the controls are not wired up? I'm planning on getting the aux. hyd. circuit to function again, but would like to know what you guys think? Thanks.

rodbuilder

You say: "ANYTHING WORTH DOING IS WORTH DOING RIGHT, OR NOT AT ALL". I say "KISS"................as in Keep It Simple Stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In that vein, it's completely idiotic and unnecessary to put a computer in a fikkin' skid loader! After all - what's it do - 1. Move? 2. Lift? 3. Tilt? 4. Turn? If it got any simpler it would be in the same class as a bicycle, or a skate board!!!! I sure hope to read someplace how to rip out all this computer crap and make these things operate without having to worry about computers going bad. THAT is "doing things right"!

OP
OP
M

mmsllc

You say: "ANYTHING WORTH DOING IS WORTH DOING RIGHT, OR NOT AT ALL". I say "KISS"................as in Keep It Simple Stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In that vein, it's completely idiotic and unnecessary to put a computer in a fikkin' skid loader! After all - what's it do - 1. Move? 2. Lift? 3. Tilt? 4. Turn? If it got any simpler it would be in the same class as a bicycle, or a skate board!!!! I sure hope to read someplace how to rip out all this computer crap and make these things operate without having to worry about computers going bad. THAT is "doing things right"!
I agree. I was just looking to successfully retain the aux controls on that # 763. I like the simpler forms of skid steers. I REALLY wish these (machines) could be un-complicated by simply unplugging all of these wires. That is the best idea to adding a ton of confidence & reliability to each machine.