763 traction lock problem maybe caused from welding?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

duga

Was using a plasma cutter on my 763 G cab and when I was finished I found a problem with the traction lock. The BICS shows solid on the first three indicators but the 4th one (the traction lock) blinks, and beeps 3 times and won't disengage. The traction lock override is now useless too. I checked the fuses and relays and all were good. I also checked the traction lock solenoid with an ohm meter and it checked out good. Any ideas?

Bobcatdan

this may sound dumb, but it there a chance the ground from the plasma cutter could have burnt it out somehow?
You should ALWAYS disconnect the battery on anything that has a brain box on it stuff can fry. That said, what does the top of the solenoid look like? If the top is loose and peeling up, water got in there and shorted out. I find ohm checking that stuff never tells you anything.

jerry

You should ALWAYS disconnect the battery on anything that has a brain box on it stuff can fry. That said, what does the top of the solenoid look like? If the top is loose and peeling up, water got in there and shorted out. I find ohm checking that stuff never tells you anything.
The local bobcat dealer told me once that a lot of the electronic failures he sees in bobcats are from lightning and welding. Lightning does not have to be all that close to affect it and welding of course is bad. There should be a master disconnect on these things.

OP
OP
D

duga

I read the ohm meter was the way to go but I will switch it with one from my 773 and see what happens. Lightning can be ruled out as we have had sunshine recently

Tazza

Staff member
I read the ohm meter was the way to go but I will switch it with one from my 773 and see what happens. Lightning can be ruled out as we have had sunshine recently
Sad to say, but you may have damaged the computer.
As stated, you always need to disconnect a battery terminal when welding, i didn't once and took out the voltage regulator in the alternator. With a plasma, it uses very high voltage to get the plasma started, this could cause serious damage to any electronics.
You can try disconnecting the alternator, just in case it has cooked the regulator too causing the voltage to be too high?

OP
OP
D

duga

Sad to say, but you may have damaged the computer.
As stated, you always need to disconnect a battery terminal when welding, i didn't once and took out the voltage regulator in the alternator. With a plasma, it uses very high voltage to get the plasma started, this could cause serious damage to any electronics.
You can try disconnecting the alternator, just in case it has cooked the regulator too causing the voltage to be too high?
Where is this "computer" and what is it's real name?

Tazza

Staff member
Where is this "computer" and what is it's real name?
Could be called a controller.
It should be behind the seat secured behind the ROPS. You need to lift the cab to see it. Look for the masses of wires going into it.

OP
OP
D

duga

Could be called a controller.
It should be behind the seat secured behind the ROPS. You need to lift the cab to see it. Look for the masses of wires going into it.
Well, I checked the fuses once more and found a burnt 20amp where a 30 amp was supposed to be. Not sure how I missed the bad fuse. Seems weird that it fried when I used the plasma but it sure beats an expensive controller issue. Thanks guys for your input

Zorack

Well, I checked the fuses once more and found a burnt 20amp where a 30 amp was supposed to be. Not sure how I missed the bad fuse. Seems weird that it fried when I used the plasma but it sure beats an expensive controller issue. Thanks guys for your input
I hope you now know to disconnect the battery when using your cutter or welder and avoid the heartache of ruining the electronics on any vehicle you might own,saves burning a huge hole in your pocket and the loss of any hair on your head.

Tazza

Staff member
I hope you now know to disconnect the battery when using your cutter or welder and avoid the heartache of ruining the electronics on any vehicle you might own,saves burning a huge hole in your pocket and the loss of any hair on your head.
*phew* you sure lucked out on that one.
Glad it was an easy fix.

Latest posts