763 spark arrestor cleanout

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

vettes

The manual states remove plug, run engine for 10 seconds. When I do this, i get a powder substance comming out. Ran it again for 10 seconds and more came out. What am i looking to do, remove all the powder ? Manual doesn't say. Sorry for the newb question, my first skidsteer 8) Thanks Andy

Tazza

Staff member
Keep doing what you are doing. You won't get it all out, but you will get a good portion of it. Mine said to remove the plug and stick a piece of wood on the exhaust to restrict it and helps blow the crud out.
The powder is carbon from the exhaust, this is what you are trying to remove.

Skiddy

Keep doing what you are doing. You won't get it all out, but you will get a good portion of it. Mine said to remove the plug and stick a piece of wood on the exhaust to restrict it and helps blow the crud out.
The powder is carbon from the exhaust, this is what you are trying to remove.
When your done I would reccomend using a good anti seize on the plug so you can get it out next time.

OP
OP
V

vettes

When your done I would reccomend using a good anti seize on the plug so you can get it out next time.
Thanks guys, i wasnt sure if the grey type powder was part of the system or needed to be removed. How does this spark arrestor work?. On the plug, it was chewed up already, and i finally got it out, but will get another one to put in. The one that came out was brass, can I use steel plug instead or is there a reason for brass? Thanks again, Andy

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks guys, i wasnt sure if the grey type powder was part of the system or needed to be removed. How does this spark arrestor work?. On the plug, it was chewed up already, and i finally got it out, but will get another one to put in. The one that came out was brass, can I use steel plug instead or is there a reason for brass? Thanks again, Andy
The powder is just carbon, nothing to worry about. I don't know how well the spark arrestor mufflers work. I ran a diesel once without even an exhaust manifold, there were no flames out the exhaust anyway, unlike a petrol engine does. I guess its there just to be sure.
No reason you can't use steel, some times they use different metals so they don't rust together and lock in place.