763 RPM Adjustment

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

nobull1

After listening to a few other 763's I think mine is running a little slow in the rpm area. It appears to be a little slow at top speed and sounds as if it isn't reaching max rpm's Although easy to adjust I hesitate to play with it until I know what is the proper rpm at full throttle and what type of gauge to use and where to hook it up. Anyone have any ideas?

Tazza

Staff member
To do this, you will need a tacho. I don't know what the idle and max speed are though but if you call a Kubota engine repair dealer they will be able to give you the details you need. Its all adjusted on top of the throttle lingake on the engine. Look on thr right hand side, you will see 2 bolts with lock nuts, it will probably have wire through the heads of the bolts as this is all factory adjusted unless someone has fiddled and they will have been removed. Could it be as simple as the linkage needs adjustment to provide you with full throttle?

Fishfiles

It could be as simple as an adjustment of the throttle rod , there is a ball joint type of connection on the rod at the engine throttle lever , loose the nut on top , put the hand throttle at full , and move the engine lever to full and tighten the nut , this adjustment won't go over what the engine governor is set at , it just give you full stroke , I have found bad motor mounts will shift the motor and cause the linkage to be out of wack l ----------- a hand held Borg Warner tack on the front splined shaft works well for rpm's on that engine , Napa sells them

thetool

It could be as simple as an adjustment of the throttle rod , there is a ball joint type of connection on the rod at the engine throttle lever , loose the nut on top , put the hand throttle at full , and move the engine lever to full and tighten the nut , this adjustment won't go over what the engine governor is set at , it just give you full stroke , I have found bad motor mounts will shift the motor and cause the linkage to be out of wack l ----------- a hand held Borg Warner tack on the front splined shaft works well for rpm's on that engine , Napa sells them
Like fishfiles was saying, if your rpm settings are out of whack, it's usually something wrong or it's been messed with.
A thing I noticed--If someone pulls the steering panel, when the throttle lever is removed, there is a bracket with stop/set screws that goes over the lever. I always mark the front of the bracket so I re-intall in the correct orientation. If it is intalled backwards, this will throw your settings off. The stop/set screws are for the hand lever, so if they are stopping the lever before the throttle lever on the engine hits the stop, it could be simply that the bracket on the hand lever is backwards.
Unless you have a G-series with a Deluxe Panel that displays rpm, the only safe way I have found to measure rpm is with a phototach, and a piece of tape on the flywheel. Safe for me , anyway, I was to askeert to reach in with a spin-tach with the belts and stuff.
I want one of those tachs that has a transducer that clips onto the injection line.

Tazza

Staff member
Like fishfiles was saying, if your rpm settings are out of whack, it's usually something wrong or it's been messed with.
A thing I noticed--If someone pulls the steering panel, when the throttle lever is removed, there is a bracket with stop/set screws that goes over the lever. I always mark the front of the bracket so I re-intall in the correct orientation. If it is intalled backwards, this will throw your settings off. The stop/set screws are for the hand lever, so if they are stopping the lever before the throttle lever on the engine hits the stop, it could be simply that the bracket on the hand lever is backwards.
Unless you have a G-series with a Deluxe Panel that displays rpm, the only safe way I have found to measure rpm is with a phototach, and a piece of tape on the flywheel. Safe for me , anyway, I was to askeert to reach in with a spin-tach with the belts and stuff.
I want one of those tachs that has a transducer that clips onto the injection line.
I too would love one of the tachos that attach to an injector line, but they are so expensive!
I agree that the throttle settings on the motor its self should not need adjusting as its all factory set. The only time they may need tweaking is if the pump was worked on or new govenor springs were installed.
If the wire is still through the bolts i would be pretty confident that the settings are correct, but if its missing i'd suspect someone had had a fiddle. If it was me, i'd remove the throttle linkage at the engine, see how it sounds at idle, if it sounds rite, put it up to full throttle and see if it sounds faster than you get when its attached to the throttle lever in the machine. This will confirm if its the engines settings or the throttle adjustment screw inside the machine.

skidboy

I too would love one of the tachos that attach to an injector line, but they are so expensive!
I agree that the throttle settings on the motor its self should not need adjusting as its all factory set. The only time they may need tweaking is if the pump was worked on or new govenor springs were installed.
If the wire is still through the bolts i would be pretty confident that the settings are correct, but if its missing i'd suspect someone had had a fiddle. If it was me, i'd remove the throttle linkage at the engine, see how it sounds at idle, if it sounds rite, put it up to full throttle and see if it sounds faster than you get when its attached to the throttle lever in the machine. This will confirm if its the engines settings or the throttle adjustment screw inside the machine.
First thing to do is push throttle (in Cab) to flat out with engine not running. Open back door and chech to see if stop on throttle plate is touching stop screw. If it's not adjust linkage,if it is you will have to check engine revs as stated above.

OP
OP
nobull1

nobull1

First thing to do is push throttle (in Cab) to flat out with engine not running. Open back door and chech to see if stop on throttle plate is touching stop screw. If it's not adjust linkage,if it is you will have to check engine revs as stated above.
I went out and bought one of those laser tachs to check the speed with. At wide open it is about 2580 rpms. The book says 2800, so it is a little slow. The wire is missing from the bolt and I have replaced the cover over the Governor springs, so the settings could have been wrong. I tried to adjust the hand throttle rod to give more throttle but it will not push it any further. It appears that the rod from the hand adjuster is flexing along side of the motor and not pushing the throttle further in. I don't know what the issue is but I will have a good look in the next day or two and figure it out and get back