763 Drive Belt Tension

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

djustham

Hi, I have a 1995 model 763 and the drive belt is squealing. The spring loaded tensioner is all the way back so it cant do anymore. Does that mean I need a new belt or is there some other way of putting tension on the belt. Thanks for the help. Don

HarryN

I agree, if the belt has not been changed in a LONG time. I'd start with that. Clean out the V groove of the pulley's while you have the belt out.

OP
OP
D

djustham

I agree, if the belt has not been changed in a LONG time. I'd start with that. Clean out the V groove of the pulley's while you have the belt out.
Is the spring loaded pulley the only tensioning device or is there another adjustable pulley?

OldMachinist

It can't but could have a bad belt or spring or just craped up
The tensioner bracket is slotted to allow adjustment.
 photo drivebelttension_zpsd248eb5d.jpg

OP
OP
D

djustham

The tensioner bracket is slotted to allow adjustment.
The photos are great but my problem is that my set-up is entirely different. The spring loaded tensioner, which I can reach in and push forward to loosen the belt, is actually a pulley in which the belt goes around it. It does not push down into the belt like this tensioner. It is a 1995 model 763.

reaperman

The photos are great but my problem is that my set-up is entirely different. The spring loaded tensioner, which I can reach in and push forward to loosen the belt, is actually a pulley in which the belt goes around it. It does not push down into the belt like this tensioner. It is a 1995 model 763.
You may be mistaking the fan belt tensioner with the hydro belt tensioner. Both belts run off the same pully and are in close to one another. The fan belt is the size of a normal v-belt, the hydro belt is about 1 1/2 inches wide.

OldMachinist

I think you're looking at the belt that drives the cooling fan not the hydrostatic pump drive belt. Is this the belt your looking at.
 photo fandrive_zpsd8f56c24.jpg

OP
OP
D

djustham

I think you're looking at the belt that drives the cooling fan not the hydrostatic pump drive belt. Is this the belt your looking at.
Its most definitely the v shaped fan belt. So if the spring tensioner is all the way back and belt is still not tight does that mean that I need a new belt?

reaperman

Its most definitely the v shaped fan belt. So if the spring tensioner is all the way back and belt is still not tight does that mean that I need a new belt?
I would get a new belt, they are cheap compared to having one break at the worst possible time. You dont want the belt to break and overheat your engine, that gets expensive. Now for the hydro belt. If you have a problem with it squealing, that needs to be tightened also. Remove the black plastic cover to expose the hydro belt and follow the diagram posted above. Once the cover is removed, things will be much easier to understand.

Tazza

Staff member
I would get a new belt, they are cheap compared to having one break at the worst possible time. You dont want the belt to break and overheat your engine, that gets expensive. Now for the hydro belt. If you have a problem with it squealing, that needs to be tightened also. Remove the black plastic cover to expose the hydro belt and follow the diagram posted above. Once the cover is removed, things will be much easier to understand.
If it is the belt that runs the cooling fan, it is never meant to be tight, the spring on the tensioner/idler is all that is needed, not a lot of torque is needed to spin the cooling fan.