763 Damaged rotating groups

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Tazza

Staff member
I got hold of a burnt 763 that i wanted to do up to replace my trusty 743. When i bought it, the engine and pump had been pulled, which is fine BUT the ports were not plugged, it had been sitting in storage for a few years..... Long story short, it appears moisture has entered through the ports (not water as the oil is not milky) and has destroyed both rotating groups. I'm also a little worried about the drive motors as the hoses were not plugged, but they do have a little oil in them, so fingers crossed....
Now, to my question! does anyone know where i can find replacement rotating groups? other than the dealer of course. I did send an e-mail off to skid loader pumps so I'll see what he can do. I'd also like to cover my bases and get a price on the motor geroler assembly, hopefully its not required but.... The only worry there is the motors are made for bobcat, so i don't know if they are available after market.
I'll try to get some pictures up in the next few days if anyone wants to see. Its a bit sad that a machine with only 2,000 hours has a stuffed pump just because the dealer didn't plug the ports.... All it would take was like 8 plugs!

OP
OP
T

Tazza

Staff member
Tazza, thought I knew skid steer terminology?. What is 'rotating groups'.
They are essentially the pistons in their housing that is in the hydrostatic pump. Its round, about 4" with about 12 pistons that run inside it creating the hydraulic pressure. Unfortunately they are the most expensive part of the pump....... Here is an example:
group.jpg

OP
OP
T

Tazza

Staff member
They are essentially the pistons in their housing that is in the hydrostatic pump. Its round, about 4" with about 12 pistons that run inside it creating the hydraulic pressure. Unfortunately they are the most expensive part of the pump....... Here is an example:
Ok, pictures:
Rust inside the ports to the motors....
Image006.jpg

Rotating group, this is the face that rubs on the brass swash plate, note the brown rust on the face, the pistons run in their bores behind these slits.
Image007.jpg

Another pic of the rotating group, this shows the shoes and you can see rust on the end of the piston on the left.
Image008.jpg

Tot rotating group sits on that shaft, at the rear is the yoke, this is what adjusts the amount of movement the pistons have which in turn sets how much flow goes to the motors, ie speed.
Image011.jpg

The swash plate, it doesn't even have any wear. It just needs a light run over a sheet of glass with wet and dry on it.
Image012.jpg

perry

Ok, pictures:
Rust inside the ports to the motors....

Rotating group, this is the face that rubs on the brass swash plate, note the brown rust on the face, the pistons run in their bores behind these slits.

Another pic of the rotating group, this shows the shoes and you can see rust on the end of the piston on the left.

Tot rotating group sits on that shaft, at the rear is the yoke, this is what adjusts the amount of movement the pistons have which in turn sets how much flow goes to the motors, ie speed.

The swash plate, it doesn't even have any wear. It just needs a light run over a sheet of glass with wet and dry on it.
Well, that should be interesting should I ever dig into mine. I'll save those pictures.

OP
OP
T

Tazza

Staff member
Well, that should be interesting should I ever dig into mine. I'll save those pictures.
Not a problem, you can swipe the higher rez ones at http://users.tpg.com.au/tazza_/rg/
I sure hope that yours don't look anything like these do!!!
Yours will be essentially the same, only a bit larger. I have pulled down 2 different styles of piston pumps and they both work on the same principle, just the parts look a little different.

hvyduty

Not a problem, you can swipe the higher rez ones at http://users.tpg.com.au/tazza_/rg/
I sure hope that yours don't look anything like these do!!!
Yours will be essentially the same, only a bit larger. I have pulled down 2 different styles of piston pumps and they both work on the same principle, just the parts look a little different.
Tazza I can,t help with the pumps although there was a set of new drive motors on ebay Australia last week, i don't think they sold he was only asking $350??each.

OP
OP
T

Tazza

Staff member
Tazza I can,t help with the pumps although there was a set of new drive motors on ebay Australia last week, i don't think they sold he was only asking $350??each.
I did see those, I will need to confirm they are indeed the correct motors for my machine, I hope to pull the motors on the weekend and assess the damage... Hopefully they are ok, but with my luck I'm not holding my breath.
Still working on prices, so far they aren't pretty!.

OP
OP
T

Tazza

Staff member
I did see those, I will need to confirm they are indeed the correct motors for my machine, I hope to pull the motors on the weekend and assess the damage... Hopefully they are ok, but with my luck I'm not holding my breath.
Still working on prices, so far they aren't pretty!.
New rotating groups ordered, I'll try and take more detailed pictures of re-assembly this time, including replacing seals and bearings.

OP
OP
T

Tazza

Staff member
New rotating groups ordered, I'll try and take more detailed pictures of re-assembly this time, including replacing seals and bearings.
For those interested, most of the parts have arrived, expecting the seals for the hydraulic pump this week.
If all goes to plan, i will re-assemble the pump on the weekend, i hope to do a post with detailed pictures. This pump is totally striped! With a bit of luck it will help another poor soul that needs to work on their hydrostatic and hydraulic pumps.
I will then be doing the drive motors, but they are pretty straight forward.

skidsteer.ca

For those interested, most of the parts have arrived, expecting the seals for the hydraulic pump this week.
If all goes to plan, i will re-assemble the pump on the weekend, i hope to do a post with detailed pictures. This pump is totally striped! With a bit of luck it will help another poor soul that needs to work on their hydrostatic and hydraulic pumps.
I will then be doing the drive motors, but they are pretty straight forward.
Sounds good, can't wait to see the play by play. If I may did you get new or rebuilt rotating groups and how much were they?
Ken

OP
OP
T

Tazza

Staff member
Sounds good, can't wait to see the play by play. If I may did you get new or rebuilt rotating groups and how much were they?
Ken
Ken - brand new! from skidloaderpumps, Levi was a HUGE help i can't thank him enough. They were around $475 USD each i can't remember exactly off hand. My dealer quoted me $2,660 AUD PLUS tax, thats just under $3,000 each o_O. My dad made a few calls and found someone locally that could get them for $1100 AUD plus 100 freight and it will take a few weeks. I got in touch with skidloaderpumps as others have mentioned them in here and he is on e-bay. They weren't listed on his site but i sent an e-mail and he said he can get them the following day so it was a deal. $50 freight and i had them in a little over a week. The seal kit was around 60-70 i think, thats ALL seals, o-rings and the 2 gaskets between the housing and valve. The seal kits for the hydro motors and hydraulic pump were about $60 as well. All up about $1,300 AUD with freight and the pump is fully re-built and i have seals to re-kit the hydraulic motors.
After seeing the damage i felt sick! i have heard people say pumps are in the order of $8,000 from the dealer, i have never checked on this though. But i'm glad the damage wasn't too bad, this way the pump will be like new, sandblasted and all. The swash plates didn't even have a mark on them! took only a few rubs with sandpaper and a sheet of glass and there are no marks on the face.
Hopefully this weekend i will get into it, depending on the weather.

sterlclan

Ken - brand new! from skidloaderpumps, Levi was a HUGE help i can't thank him enough. They were around $475 USD each i can't remember exactly off hand. My dealer quoted me $2,660 AUD PLUS tax, thats just under $3,000 each o_O. My dad made a few calls and found someone locally that could get them for $1100 AUD plus 100 freight and it will take a few weeks. I got in touch with skidloaderpumps as others have mentioned them in here and he is on e-bay. They weren't listed on his site but i sent an e-mail and he said he can get them the following day so it was a deal. $50 freight and i had them in a little over a week. The seal kit was around 60-70 i think, thats ALL seals, o-rings and the 2 gaskets between the housing and valve. The seal kits for the hydro motors and hydraulic pump were about $60 as well. All up about $1,300 AUD with freight and the pump is fully re-built and i have seals to re-kit the hydraulic motors.
After seeing the damage i felt sick! i have heard people say pumps are in the order of $8,000 from the dealer, i have never checked on this though. But i'm glad the damage wasn't too bad, this way the pump will be like new, sandblasted and all. The swash plates didn't even have a mark on them! took only a few rubs with sandpaper and a sheet of glass and there are no marks on the face.
Hopefully this weekend i will get into it, depending on the weather.
I have dealt with Levi as well top shelf guy......