763 cracked gear pump...

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Todd v.

Hi ya'll!! I just got back from clearing some land I won in SC and while I was there I ran into a problem... My 99' 763 developed a pretty signifigant leak from the gear pump. I turned out to have a crack in the pump housing leading from right where the pressure fitting threads into it, thourgh the gasket surface of course. Just wondering if anyone has dealt with this and can it be welded or does it need to be replaced. The crackis about an inch long & does not go all the way down into the threads because I did manage to get it sealed up, I'm sure temporarily, by wrapping the threads of the fitting with 4 wraps of Teflon tape to get finished the job. I towed it all the way from here in MD and did not want to waste the trip dealing with finding & replacing a pump. It help up pretty well that way but it needs to be fixed right for me to sleep at night. The forum has been a wealth of information to a new skidsteer owner, thanks for the resource!!!

OP
OP
T

Todd v.

A new pump is $500-600 depending on your serial number http://www.loaderpartssource.com/bobcat-parts/bobcat-hydraulic-pumps?oem_model=383 and if it was me I'd just buy a new one in order to sleep at night. In order to weld it you would have to completly take it apart and get all the oil out of the crack. I just wouldn't trust a weld in the aluminum to not leak and the heat might warp it.
Ahh thanks, that's not bad at all. I was expecting much worse.... It looks like a pretty straightforward repair also, as long as they left you room to get the shaft clear and slide the pump out... :)

jmatt20

Ahh thanks, that's not bad at all. I was expecting much worse.... It looks like a pretty straightforward repair also, as long as they left you room to get the shaft clear and slide the pump out... :)
check the ..surplus center they have hundreds of pumps for sale the mounts are standardized ..you have to match the rotation ,the flow ,and the imput shaft , if you can find one close they are about 250$. most any outside hydraulic supplier can get you a pump. when i replace the pump on my machine i opted for one with a little more flow ..quickened up the hydraulics i just had to keep an ear on the engine rpms

Fishfiles

check the ..surplus center they have hundreds of pumps for sale the mounts are standardized ..you have to match the rotation ,the flow ,and the imput shaft , if you can find one close they are about 250$. most any outside hydraulic supplier can get you a pump. when i replace the pump on my machine i opted for one with a little more flow ..quickened up the hydraulics i just had to keep an ear on the engine rpms
That is a very common thing to happen , you can buy a center section from a hydraulic motor dealer but by the time you buy a seal kit and a center section , if the gears and bearing are still good , you would do better replacing the pump , they have two different fittings that go into the pump , I like the older style better , it has a washer built on to the fitting where the newer fitting has a tappered end that engages the pump , the older style seems to seal better , the newer one seems to crack the housing more often

Tazza

Staff member
That is a very common thing to happen , you can buy a center section from a hydraulic motor dealer but by the time you buy a seal kit and a center section , if the gears and bearing are still good , you would do better replacing the pump , they have two different fittings that go into the pump , I like the older style better , it has a washer built on to the fitting where the newer fitting has a tappered end that engages the pump , the older style seems to seal better , the newer one seems to crack the housing more often
I think its a common spot to crack. I remember talking to Levi at LPS about a pump for a friends Thomas. They crack as the pump wears and the metal thins out. They can be welded, but they are such a tight tollerance, it will probably fail again due to the material being thinner and who knows if it will warp causing lower efficiency.
I agree, its best go for a new one, they are pretty well priced.

OP
OP
T

Todd v.

I think its a common spot to crack. I remember talking to Levi at LPS about a pump for a friends Thomas. They crack as the pump wears and the metal thins out. They can be welded, but they are such a tight tollerance, it will probably fail again due to the material being thinner and who knows if it will warp causing lower efficiency.
I agree, its best go for a new one, they are pretty well priced.
Thanks for the info, I'll just go with a new one, mine is the cheaper of the two. That amount of coin could be lost in a day easily with a failed repair. Not worth the risk and I can keep the old one as a spare since I got it sealed up temporarily.

Latest posts