763 Blower belt tensioner

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

nobull1

Just noticed that my blower belt was off the pulley. My employee probably didn't notice the difference in noise or it just happened. The last few weeks we have used it for less than a couple minutes at a time so overheating should not be a problem. What I have found was the bolt that holds it on has broken and will have to be removed. Anyone have this issue and have a easy way to remove the broken piece short of removing the motor eek.

Tazza

Staff member
Never had one break, hopefully the stub can be removed with pliers.

OP
OP
nobull1

nobull1

Never had one break, hopefully the stub can be removed with pliers.
No the stub is inside about 1/8 of an inch. I will get a better look today. The bolt had been failing for awhile because when you looked at the end that broke it was rusty except for about 1/8" on the outside on one side. Brian

Bobcatdan

No the stub is inside about 1/8 of an inch. I will get a better look today. The bolt had been failing for awhile because when you looked at the end that broke it was rusty except for about 1/8" on the outside on one side. Brian
Never saw the bolt break, a couple arms, but never the bolt. I would soak it down with kroil for a day and try a striped bolt socket.

OP
OP
nobull1

nobull1

Never saw the bolt break, a couple arms, but never the bolt. I would soak it down with kroil for a day and try a striped bolt socket.
Well I had a better look today and as I thought it was broken off in the cast piece that is bolted to the motor. There is very little room to do anything except with maybe a right angle drill. I went down the road to a buddy who owns a machine/Fab shop. He came up and figured he could build up the bolt and then weld a nut to it. So I asked when and he said it would be a week or so before he could come up to my place as he was very busy. He said if you could bring it down to the shop he could do it now. That was easy I said it will be at your shop in ten minutes :). Anyhow it wasn't quite that simple as the bolt would only turn a bit and then break the weld. So he had to use some different rods and finally it came out. Man that made my day as I figured it was going to be a motor removal. Just finished installing the spring and pulley and all appears well. The parts guy at Bobcat said he sells a few of those bolts due to them coming loose and breaking and said you should check it every so often. Mine was not loose just broken.

Tazza

Staff member
Well I had a better look today and as I thought it was broken off in the cast piece that is bolted to the motor. There is very little room to do anything except with maybe a right angle drill. I went down the road to a buddy who owns a machine/Fab shop. He came up and figured he could build up the bolt and then weld a nut to it. So I asked when and he said it would be a week or so before he could come up to my place as he was very busy. He said if you could bring it down to the shop he could do it now. That was easy I said it will be at your shop in ten minutes :). Anyhow it wasn't quite that simple as the bolt would only turn a bit and then break the weld. So he had to use some different rods and finally it came out. Man that made my day as I figured it was going to be a motor removal. Just finished installing the spring and pulley and all appears well. The parts guy at Bobcat said he sells a few of those bolts due to them coming loose and breaking and said you should check it every so often. Mine was not loose just broken.
Good to hear you got it removed, the old welded nut trick is great when you have access. Where it was located sure makes it harder.

OP
OP
nobull1

nobull1

Good to hear you got it removed, the old welded nut trick is great when you have access. Where it was located sure makes it harder.
Yes I had my doubts due to the access as it is probably just 6", bolt recessed 1/8 and you could not see the end of the stud. That's why I would not even try till I talked to buddy down the road, for fear of screwing it up. When you fool around with that type of thing quite a bit it sure helps. Stainless rods was what he used in the end as 7018 wasn't strong enough as the bolt fought all the way out.

Bobcatdan

Yes I had my doubts due to the access as it is probably just 6", bolt recessed 1/8 and you could not see the end of the stud. That's why I would not even try till I talked to buddy down the road, for fear of screwing it up. When you fool around with that type of thing quite a bit it sure helps. Stainless rods was what he used in the end as 7018 wasn't strong enough as the bolt fought all the way out.
Never saw that bolt break. I replace it when ever I replace the tensioner due to wear.