753 Wont get warm

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Tazza

Staff member
Ok, I got it back together, fired it up and ran it to check for leaks....so far so good. I have a few questions....are these normally hard to get the air out of the cooling system? Should I run it for a bit with the rad cap off? Also, when I pulled the water pump off, did I expose the crankcase to coolant? I just want to make sure no coolant got in the oil when i pulled the pump and a gush of water came out. I will wait for your responses before I put it to work. Thanks again!!!!!
The water pump is sealed against the crank case oil, these will not come in contact with each other. The only way the 2 would mix is if you took the head off or the front cover or if the housing corroded really bad and ate through but thats VERY doubtfull.
It wouldn't hurt running the machine with the cap off till it got to operating temperature, just so you get some coolant moving around to get the main air locks out. After that it will self purge over time if you have a recovery cap fitted to the radiator.
I hope its all ok now!

OP
OP
J

jinxie

The water pump is sealed against the crank case oil, these will not come in contact with each other. The only way the 2 would mix is if you took the head off or the front cover or if the housing corroded really bad and ate through but thats VERY doubtfull.
It wouldn't hurt running the machine with the cap off till it got to operating temperature, just so you get some coolant moving around to get the main air locks out. After that it will self purge over time if you have a recovery cap fitted to the radiator.
I hope its all ok now!
Ok, I worked it for about 20 minutes pushing snow. There wasnt alot of snow, but I only run it at 1/2 throttle. The temp gauge still only hits one bar. Maybe a sensor is bad. However, both heater hoses to and from the heater core were hot to touch. I could almost hold my hand on them. Also, the rad was hot. i couldnt hold my hand on this!! The air coming out of the vents was warm, but not hot. It is -17 degrees C here right now. I have a feeling maybe the heater core is plugged. I would expect the vents to blow a bit hotter. Should they? At least I know the engine is running hotter than what it was!

Tazza

Staff member
Ok, I worked it for about 20 minutes pushing snow. There wasnt alot of snow, but I only run it at 1/2 throttle. The temp gauge still only hits one bar. Maybe a sensor is bad. However, both heater hoses to and from the heater core were hot to touch. I could almost hold my hand on them. Also, the rad was hot. i couldnt hold my hand on this!! The air coming out of the vents was warm, but not hot. It is -17 degrees C here right now. I have a feeling maybe the heater core is plugged. I would expect the vents to blow a bit hotter. Should they? At least I know the engine is running hotter than what it was!
I agree, the sensor may be bad.
You could try flushing the core with the garden hose to see if it is clogged.

OP
OP
J

jinxie

I agree, the sensor may be bad.
You could try flushing the core with the garden hose to see if it is clogged.
I ran it good here for about an hour. It was about -18C out. The coolant temp remained on 1 bar, but the heat coming out of the vents was preety warm. The heater box was hot. I checked the temps of the heater hoses....around 145-150. Funny thing is the rad on the right hand side was 165 and on the left hand side was 65. Is it possible there is that much of a drop over such a small rad. The right hand side i couldnt touch, the left hand side was just slightly warm to touch. I was checking with a digital infared temp gauge.

Tazza

Staff member
I ran it good here for about an hour. It was about -18C out. The coolant temp remained on 1 bar, but the heat coming out of the vents was preety warm. The heater box was hot. I checked the temps of the heater hoses....around 145-150. Funny thing is the rad on the right hand side was 165 and on the left hand side was 65. Is it possible there is that much of a drop over such a small rad. The right hand side i couldnt touch, the left hand side was just slightly warm to touch. I was checking with a digital infared temp gauge.
Thats totally normal. Mine gets like that too, hot one side going in and cool on the other. The temp outside as you said is quite cool so it would help with the heat exchange.
I honestly would look at a new temp sender and see if that fixes the problem. They seem to fail a fair bit, i have a few from 743s and all read low, threw a new sender in and they are spot on now!.