753 steering lever adjustment necessary

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bahmi

Just too delivery of my new to me 753. Stopped off at the garage and had the guys give their seal of approval, good to hear. Nice machine. All systems work well, but my steering levers are not in sync. They have to be pulled differing distances to get the machine to run straight. Can you folks offer suggestions as to how to correct this problem and perhaps refer me to some online source of information as to how this may be done. Thanks, Mike

Fishfiles

You culd do a quickie on this or this is how I'd do it , jack and block all 4 wheels of the ground , and raise te boom and support it with the saftey bar , use white paint and draw a line across both front tires , start the machine , with the seat bar down and press the operte button t unlock the brake , rise the cab , with both white lines even across pull the levers forward and count 3 revolutions and see how far off the lines are from being even , then in reverse , the adjustment is made on the flat bars that run from the steering levers to the pump , in the middle of the bars are two bolts , mark where the bars lap at before loosen the bolts enough to move one side in or out to get it even left and rght and forward and reverse , got to go

Tazza

Staff member
You culd do a quickie on this or this is how I'd do it , jack and block all 4 wheels of the ground , and raise te boom and support it with the saftey bar , use white paint and draw a line across both front tires , start the machine , with the seat bar down and press the operte button t unlock the brake , rise the cab , with both white lines even across pull the levers forward and count 3 revolutions and see how far off the lines are from being even , then in reverse , the adjustment is made on the flat bars that run from the steering levers to the pump , in the middle of the bars are two bolts , mark where the bars lap at before loosen the bolts enough to move one side in or out to get it even left and rght and forward and reverse , got to go
If that doesn't work, the adjustment is required at the pump its self. Block the machine as stated and you will need to loosen the 4 bolts on the plate on the pump. Do one side at a time, starting from the right i think it was. You need to hold the blocks tight against the arms on the pump till the wheels stop moving. Lock the bolts down then move the lever forward and backward and see if that side stops moving. If not repeat the procedure till it does. Do the same for the other side.

Fishfiles

If that doesn't work, the adjustment is required at the pump its self. Block the machine as stated and you will need to loosen the 4 bolts on the plate on the pump. Do one side at a time, starting from the right i think it was. You need to hold the blocks tight against the arms on the pump till the wheels stop moving. Lock the bolts down then move the lever forward and backward and see if that side stops moving. If not repeat the procedure till it does. Do the same for the other side.
Tazza , I kinda think he is not talking about a neutral problem but a equalization of the left right / forward reverse , unless you neutral is messed up I would adjust the pintle plate for the problem you discribe -------------I became in a hurry after getting into typing yesterday , the quick way is don't jack it up , lift cab with arms up and secure the boom , if you look at the two flat steering bars and think about which way they have to be move to give what ever way you need to go for it to equal out , mark the spots they are and move one a little bit , try it ad readjust if neccessary , if you never done it before it could take you quite a few times to get it right , thats why I suggested jacking it up , take note of forward and reverse , it is possible to be equal but be faster in reverse than forward or vice versa , from my past operator experiences I like it better to be faster in forward than in reverse , you can cause a lot less damage that way

Tazza

Staff member
Tazza , I kinda think he is not talking about a neutral problem but a equalization of the left right / forward reverse , unless you neutral is messed up I would adjust the pintle plate for the problem you discribe -------------I became in a hurry after getting into typing yesterday , the quick way is don't jack it up , lift cab with arms up and secure the boom , if you look at the two flat steering bars and think about which way they have to be move to give what ever way you need to go for it to equal out , mark the spots they are and move one a little bit , try it ad readjust if neccessary , if you never done it before it could take you quite a few times to get it right , thats why I suggested jacking it up , take note of forward and reverse , it is possible to be equal but be faster in reverse than forward or vice versa , from my past operator experiences I like it better to be faster in forward than in reverse , you can cause a lot less damage that way
Fishfiles - yeah i know :) thats why i pointed out IF that didn't work here is basically what to do. I guess its all in how we understand the original question. As for adjusting, it sure can take some effort to get just rite.... Been there done that before!
Start with the simple adjustments first then do the adjustment at the pump ONLY if required.