753 is disassembled, what preventative maintanence should I do?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Litnng

I have my new to me 753 completely disassembled, down to the last nut and bolt, for a sandblast and repaint. I'm wondering what all I should be looking at doing as far as preventative maintanence, aside from the obvious belts and hoses. I have read many posts about certain things here and there but a compiled list wold be very helpful. Any and all ideas will be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Tazza

Staff member
I'd ensure all your grease nipples are in good shape and free of grit after blasting.
Fill the chain case with engine oil, like 20W50. Depending on where you live, the hydraulics can use the same oil, thinner if you live in a colder climate.
I'd get the radiator cleaned and pressure tested, replace ram seals (they are pretty cheap). Bushings in the bobtach and tilt ram, pins too.
There isn't a whole lot else i can think of. On my machines i have plans of keeping, if i have them pulled that far down, i do axle bearings and seals, motor carrier bearings and seals too. Replace the pins and bushes. I'm actually going to modify my lift rams to accept bushings so i can replace them when they wear.
If there is anything i forgot, just yell

skidsteer.ca

I'd ensure all your grease nipples are in good shape and free of grit after blasting.
Fill the chain case with engine oil, like 20W50. Depending on where you live, the hydraulics can use the same oil, thinner if you live in a colder climate.
I'd get the radiator cleaned and pressure tested, replace ram seals (they are pretty cheap). Bushings in the bobtach and tilt ram, pins too.
There isn't a whole lot else i can think of. On my machines i have plans of keeping, if i have them pulled that far down, i do axle bearings and seals, motor carrier bearings and seals too. Replace the pins and bushes. I'm actually going to modify my lift rams to accept bushings so i can replace them when they wear.
If there is anything i forgot, just yell
Change out the fuel pickup in the tank.
Inspect the front of the chain case for cracks where the top cover bolts on in the area of the boom stop.
Axel bearings and seals.
Check all the pin bosses for wear. Inspect steel lines for rust damage.
Study which are you high pressure hoses and replace those, or at least replaced one with cracks or wear.
Remove the main belt tension er pulley, disassemble and grease the eccentric pivot, check the bearing
Maybe a new pipe from the manifold to the muffler, or at least replace/loosen the rusty bolts while access is good.

OP
OP
L

Litnng

Change out the fuel pickup in the tank.
Inspect the front of the chain case for cracks where the top cover bolts on in the area of the boom stop.
Axel bearings and seals.
Check all the pin bosses for wear. Inspect steel lines for rust damage.
Study which are you high pressure hoses and replace those, or at least replaced one with cracks or wear.
Remove the main belt tension er pulley, disassemble and grease the eccentric pivot, check the bearing
Maybe a new pipe from the manifold to the muffler, or at least replace/loosen the rusty bolts while access is good.
Thanks for the ideas. I have read of a hose or two that the motor must be pulled to change. I haven't read which they would be and it's hard to tell now that everything is out. Any thoughts on this?

renopker

Thanks for the ideas. I have read of a hose or two that the motor must be pulled to change. I haven't read which they would be and it's hard to tell now that everything is out. Any thoughts on this?
It all depends on how much you want to spend .

OP
OP
L

Litnng

There are no hoses that you need to pull the engine to access on that machine. Only a 74x, 64x and 73x or 63x is that pesky hose fitted.
I'm not looking to spend a ton of money, I just want to be sure to do the things that should be done at this stage. If that makes any sense. I would hate to put everything back together and end up having a problem with something that I could have easily taken care of when the maching was apart, that's all.

renopker

I'm not looking to spend a ton of money, I just want to be sure to do the things that should be done at this stage. If that makes any sense. I would hate to put everything back together and end up having a problem with something that I could have easily taken care of when the maching was apart, that's all.
I sandblasted then I weld all the cracks grind and sand all the scars and blend by using a soft pad (sander) make sure to hit the edges that are nicked up then sandblast again to even it all out head to the powder coat guy its not all that much extra work but if you have yours apart that much do it up right .

Tazza

Staff member
I sandblasted then I weld all the cracks grind and sand all the scars and blend by using a soft pad (sander) make sure to hit the edges that are nicked up then sandblast again to even it all out head to the powder coat guy its not all that much extra work but if you have yours apart that much do it up right .
If you didn't want to spend a fortune....
Chain case. Pull the covers off, clean and mop the insides out. Check the axles for end play. There should be NO end float. If they do, you need to remove metal from the inside of the washers on the end of the axles inside the chain case. This will take up the slack. Ensure the covers are BOTH fully sealed with silicone sealant, including the threads on the bolts.
While the engine is out, I'd swap the alternator belt, that belt is a pig to do when installed.
I'd still recommend the radiator clean though. Cheap insurance for a 5k engine.
The fuel pickup tube, it wouldn't hurt to do that too, as its under the pump its a little card to access when the engine is in. A new plastic tube from the dealer s cheap.

Latest posts