753 - blew out dipstick?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jtzako

My Bobcat 753 decided to blow its oil dipstick out and spew oil all over. I am now trying to sort out why that happened. Does this machine have a crank case breather or some other similar breather system that could be clogged? If so, where is it located (I'm not seeing anything that looks obvious). I also found that the dipstick was out about 1.5 inches but was completely stuck there, I had to get vice grips and pull it out (after a lot of struggle) and it is bent in multiple places. Any other ideas why it might have done this?

foton

most of the time I think crankcase pressure is because of worn and or stuck piston rings, I think a 753 is old enough to have a engine that is vented to the atmosphere and not recirculated threw the engine to burn again . I have had some luck by running a engine hard for a couple hours and unstuck a ring maybe a real high detergent lighter weight oil would be good too, until it frees up. I have no opinion on block flush type products.

flyerdan

most of the time I think crankcase pressure is because of worn and or stuck piston rings, I think a 753 is old enough to have a engine that is vented to the atmosphere and not recirculated threw the engine to burn again . I have had some luck by running a engine hard for a couple hours and unstuck a ring maybe a real high detergent lighter weight oil would be good too, until it frees up. I have no opinion on block flush type products.
Are the bends near the tip? I'm thinking that it isn't a pressure issue, but something in the crankcase whipping around and striking the dipstick, nudging it up and bending it.
Ball peen hammer and an anvil, straighten it as best. If that is the case, it should be making some pretty unpleasant sounds.
Marvel Mystery Oil and Seafoam are good for both oil and fuel additives, might or might not free up heavily carboned rings, best used as a preventative, but won't hurt to try.

OP
OP
J

jtzako

Are the bends near the tip? I'm thinking that it isn't a pressure issue, but something in the crankcase whipping around and striking the dipstick, nudging it up and bending it.
Ball peen hammer and an anvil, straighten it as best. If that is the case, it should be making some pretty unpleasant sounds.
Marvel Mystery Oil and Seafoam are good for both oil and fuel additives, might or might not free up heavily carboned rings, best used as a preventative, but won't hurt to try.
The bends are across the entire thing. I finally managed to manipulate it enough to get it out. Link is to the pic: https://imgur.com/a/80eWH44 It hasnt made any odd noises. In fact just a few days ago when I last used it, it seemed fine even though it lost most of its oil during that run. I just got done draining the oil that was still in there and replaced the filter and refilled then straightened the dip stick (replacement is ordered but I need it to work for now). It seems to run fine and everything stayed in place this time.

TriHonu

The bends are across the entire thing. I finally managed to manipulate it enough to get it out. Link is to the pic: https://imgur.com/a/80eWH44 It hasnt made any odd noises. In fact just a few days ago when I last used it, it seemed fine even though it lost most of its oil during that run. I just got done draining the oil that was still in there and replaced the filter and refilled then straightened the dip stick (replacement is ordered but I need it to work for now). It seems to run fine and everything stayed in place this time.
&nbsp
I have a 763 and mine did the same thing right after I bought it. I didn't hear it, but saw the oil track as I backed up.
The dealer explained that the dipstick is positioned right between two crankshaft counter weights and has very little clearance on either side. If the dipstick is not inserted firmly, the tip can move to the side enough that the counter weight will hit it.
We both were lucky enough to get the dipstick out intact. There was an upgraded dipstick tube assembly. I installed the upgraded assembly and have not had any issues.
I suspect that a replacement dipstick tube assembly will be upgraded design. Ask your dealer.