751C Pug won’t start

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

751C PugBobcat

Hi, I picked up a 2000 751C with the Peugeot engine not running. Turns over fine. Did the timing belt, new glow plugs and had the injection pump and injectors serviced. No problem priming it and bleeding out the air from the filter and pump. Timing is spot on. Tried a shot of ether and a bit of white smoke comes out but won't start. Compression is 300 in all 4 cylinders so I think it should still at least start. Fuel is good, filter is good, motor doesn't bind at all. Machine has 2100 hours on it and seems legit. Guy I bought it from said it likely needs rings. I've tried almost everything and it just won't fire up. Am I wrong about the compression and it needs a rebuild? Thanks in advance. If it needs the motor pulled I'll have some more questions since I read it's better to leave the drive pump installed. 751C Pugbobcat

foton

If there is a block heater plug it in a warm engine is easier to start, I THINK it should start at 300 psi with a warm engine. I am not familiar with the pug engine I guess it has glow plugs too. make sure they work.

Tazza

Staff member
If there is a block heater plug it in a warm engine is easier to start, I THINK it should start at 300 psi with a warm engine. I am not familiar with the pug engine I guess it has glow plugs too. make sure they work.
300 psi is quite low.
Do you get smoke when cranking? if not, you may have an issue with the fuel shut off solenoid.
They do have glow plugs, ensure you're getting power to them, even remove them to ensure they glow right to the tip.
When doing your compression test, if you squirt in some engine oil into the cylinders, see if the compression jumps up, if it does, your rings are worn a bit.

OP
OP

751C PugBobcat

300 psi is quite low.
Do you get smoke when cranking? if not, you may have an issue with the fuel shut off solenoid.
They do have glow plugs, ensure you're getting power to them, even remove them to ensure they glow right to the tip.
When doing your compression test, if you squirt in some engine oil into the cylinders, see if the compression jumps up, if it does, your rings are worn a bit.
There is a bit of white smoke only when I use ether. Do I need to crack all the injector lines at the injectors and crank it over. Very very little fuel comes out of the lines. Also I removed the plunger in the fuel solenoid and nothing changes. It appear to function properly anyway as it clicks when powered. I put new glow plugs in but will remove them and make sure they are working. Thanks.

Tazza

Staff member
There is a bit of white smoke only when I use ether. Do I need to crack all the injector lines at the injectors and crank it over. Very very little fuel comes out of the lines. Also I removed the plunger in the fuel solenoid and nothing changes. It appear to function properly anyway as it clicks when powered. I put new glow plugs in but will remove them and make sure they are working. Thanks.
Each injection pulse really isn't very big. Cracking the lines at the injectors may help bleed the system faster.
White smoke with ether, this the only time you get smoke? does it pop when you spray it with ether?

OP
OP

751C PugBobcat

Each injection pulse really isn't very big. Cracking the lines at the injectors may help bleed the system faster.
White smoke with ether, this the only time you get smoke? does it pop when you spray it with ether?
That is the only time there is any smoke. No popping and never even tries to start.

Tazza

Staff member
That is the only time there is any smoke. No popping and never even tries to start.
Try doing a compression test again, squirt in some oil in eacy cylinder as you go along and do the compression test again. See if it goes up, if so, your rings/bores are worn not giving you enough compression to start.
Most diesels need a minimum of 400 odd psi to start. The Komatsu motor i saw specs on said 500 psi is where it should be, the lower limit was 430.
Gas/petrol motors run 80-120 PSI and they use a spark to start, diesel needs heat from compression, so it's a bit more ctritcal.
Another thing you can check is that the valve clearance is right, if it's too small, you may not be getting full compression. If the compression test does go up with oil, you're pulling the motor apart and at the minimum, re-ringing it to see if you can bring it up a bit.