743B Shutdown and starting issue

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

race14race

Hello everyone, My name is Race. I recently purchased a used 743B near the end of winter to deal with snow removal, ect. I will be using this machine to cleanup my rock driveway and general use around the house. I only have a 66in smooth bucket with a replaceable cutting edge. My new to me machine has ~3200 hours. Last few times I have ran the machine, when I cut the key off the machine did not cut off, it kept running for a longer delay than normal before shutting down. Yesterday I had to cut the key on and off 3 times before it shut off. Also, It has been hard to start recently, like it isn't getting any fuel, because it cranks and cranks with no white smoke. I think I had narrowed it down from reading, that it might be a fuel shutoff solenoid issue, but not sure how to check it on the V1702 kubuto. I do not have a service manual for the 743B. I am not sure where to being, the only thing I have done it greased the machine good. I plan on changing the fluids soon, because in the winter (0 degree F days) the hydraulic system was noisy and not in warmer weather it is noisy until it warms up. I am thinking I should replace that with 10-30W motor oil? I also am planning on adding a tank heater to aid in winter starting, with a cab heater. Thanks for your help in advance.

SkidRoe

It sounds like a shutdown solenoid issue, either the solenoid itself, or the wires running to the solenoid. There should be 3 wires running to the solenoid: pull, hold, and ground. The hold wire should receive ignition power, and have power while the key is in the run and start positions. The pull wire only receives power for a short duration to turn the fuel on when starting. Some machines use a timer for this function, while others only provide power while the engine is cranking. The ground is self explanatory. A good starting point would be to disconnect the plug at the solenoid, and use a test light or multimeter to test the signals to the solenoid. A helper to run the key is needed as well. If all three wires check out, it is likely the solenoid. If not, there is a wiring problem. HTH

SkidRoe

10w30 works fine in these older machines. Since this is a new to you machine, changing all the fluids is a good idea, as you will then know when they were changed last!! I keep mine in the shop with a bit of heat on all the time in the winter, at least to keep it above freezing, and I have not had a problem. I ussually let it warm up for about 10 minutes or so before using it. HTH

Tazza

Staff member
10w30 works fine in these older machines. Since this is a new to you machine, changing all the fluids is a good idea, as you will then know when they were changed last!! I keep mine in the shop with a bit of heat on all the time in the winter, at least to keep it above freezing, and I have not had a problem. I ussually let it warm up for about 10 minutes or so before using it. HTH
A machine i sold a guy a few years ago called me up with a lockout solenoid problem. I fixed that issue but when i went to shut it down it wouldn't, he said it had been doing that for a while. I went into the engine bay and noticed the linkages on the solenoid were rusted, i put some oil on the pivot points and moved the linkages around, it freed up and worked great.
Could your issue be as simple as rusty pivot points on the shutdown solenoid.

OP
OP
R

race14race

A machine i sold a guy a few years ago called me up with a lockout solenoid problem. I fixed that issue but when i went to shut it down it wouldn't, he said it had been doing that for a while. I went into the engine bay and noticed the linkages on the solenoid were rusted, i put some oil on the pivot points and moved the linkages around, it freed up and worked great.
Could your issue be as simple as rusty pivot points on the shutdown solenoid.
I want to thank everyone for their help. I checked the wiring, and it worked properly. Hold and timer based 12volts. I then saw that the rod end on the linkage was corroded. Got it oiled up and it's working great!! Now on to replacing back cab insulation and installing cab heater and tank heater for winter use. Anyone ever use a michigan suspension seat in theirs?

antfarmer2

I want to thank everyone for their help. I checked the wiring, and it worked properly. Hold and timer based 12volts. I then saw that the rod end on the linkage was corroded. Got it oiled up and it's working great!! Now on to replacing back cab insulation and installing cab heater and tank heater for winter use. Anyone ever use a michigan suspension seat in theirs?
Hats off to Tazza again!!!!!!